Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Garmin 820 – hard work – is it just me getting used to it ?
  • whatgoesup

I’ve had a Garmin 820 for a month or so, and when it’s doing what it’s meant to on the bike it’s great – but doing anything like planning routes, syncing updating etc seems overly hard – is it just me ? .
    I’ve had/got other Garmin devices and the pattern does seem to be very good hardware combined with awful user interfaces. If only they would poach a few Apple interface designer/engineers.

This is half a whinge and half a constructive request for better ways to use the device by the way.

Examples –

Navigate to an address – trying to enter a full postcode – not easily – have to type the street name like a car satnav from 10 years ago (you CAN enter the full postcode, but only by cancelling and going back to the postcode box several times)
    Copy a Strava GPX file to the device via Garmin Connect – download GPX from Strava, run it through an online converter because Garmin doesn’t like the file format – import it into Connect as an “activity” – click “create course from activity) – delete activity
    Use Garmin Connect to plan a route to avoid the above faff – map has really low contrast for minor roads so hard to actually see routes to plan, and the actual map window is less than 50% of the height of the screen so hard to actually use.

speedstar

It is a bit more faff than the 800 I previously had but I have gotten used to it more now. I usually just copy the GPX into the new files directly onto the Garmin via the laptop so I have no experience of using Garmin Connect to upload GPX files. This process works for me every time though so that’s one way of making things easier. I don’t trust Garmin’s take on minor roads so I use ridewithgps.com to make a route. Seems to work fairly well.

The most annoying thing is there appear to be black holes in Garmin’s mapping. There appears to be one spot in particular that 100% of the time makes the 820 switch off! God knows what is going on but I think I am going to upload different mapping as it’s total PITA. I really wish Garmin had some true competition in the marketplace but they don’t for what they offer so we’re kind of stuck for now sadly.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Garmin 820 – hard work – is it just me getting used to it ?’ is closed to new replies.