Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Garmin 810 – Navigation question
  • r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Evening boys and girls.

I’ve just treated myself to a new Garmin 810 and went for a road ride today to test out the navigation feature.

I plotted a route online (not using Garmin Connect) and copied it over to the Garmin as a TCX file to follow as a course. All worked fine but one thing that I was expecting was advanced notification when approaching a turn. Instead the notification came as I was literally on the junction. This was a bit of a pain!

I’ve see some vids on youtube and it seems that advanced notifications of upcoming turns are possible. What am i doing wrong!?

Cheers

stevious

I think it’s a GPX file you’re after. You also need routable maps on the device (which you probably do)

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Thanks, i’ll give a GPX file a whirl tomorrow

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

The map I have is the GB OS 1:50k

therevokid
    Free Member

tcx or gpx will work. You need to set it up to do tbt which is not as
    obvious as you’d think !

As noted above … you must have routeable maps installed.

check this out … http://ridewithgps.com/help/edge-810
    or
    http://velogps.com/garmin-edge-810-navigation/

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Think i’ve found it!?

An option within the courses called Turn Guidance. Sounds like i’m on to a winner…

antares
    Free Member

Worth having a look here as well. Some useful info.
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/category/tutorials/

fubar
    Free Member

I’m sure there are other ways to do this but I found my 800 (with OS maps) that the advance notification didn’t always notify in time. A TCX file with an embedded cue sheet works, for me, very well. I used RideWithGPS and it generates a cue sheet with the turnings on ..then on Export is option ‘Notify before turn’ and an option to specify how many metres in advance.

Examining the contents of the .TCX file I can check it has the correct detail…it has ‘CoursePonts’ (instructions in the Notes) at the end of the file like this:-

<CoursePoint>
    <Name>2nd exit B</Name>
    <Time>2015-03-31T22:32:15Z</Time>
    <Position>
    <LatitudeDegrees>53.72179885518312</LatitudeDegrees>
    <LongitudeDegrees>-1.86387494957743</LongitudeDegrees>
    </Position>
    <PointType>Straight</PointType>
    <Notes>At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto Barum Top/A629</Notes>
    </CoursePoint>
    <CoursePoint>
    <Name>Commercial</Name>
    <Time>2015-03-31T22:41:45Z</Time>
    <Position>
    <LatitudeDegrees>53.72097580933216</LatitudeDegrees>
    <LongitudeDegrees>-1.8615295233303988</LongitudeDegrees>
    </Position>
    <PointType>Right</PointType>
    <Notes>Turn right onto Commercial St/A629</Notes>
    </CoursePoint>

I felt that on a recent group ride that I was generally aware of upcoming turnings before others in group who I presume were relying on the GPS to auto notifications.

oh yeh…before starting chose course, settings , turn guidance on

bikebouy
    Free Member

You need Turn By Turn Guidance on..

As standard and since the last software upgrade Garmin disabled it..

Easy to turn back on though..

GoTo Folder where you course is
    Select Courses
    See the Three Bars in the bottom right corner?
    Select the three bars in the right hand corner..
    “Turn on Guidance” has a slidebar, flick it to the right.
    Simples
    Then back out of every screen you’ve just been in.

Also..

When adding a new course to the 810 (after copying it form someone/where else and not creating it in Connect), don’t put it in the folder “courses” it needs to go into the file “NewFIles” folder.

HTH

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Thanks all. Sounds like that’s sorted it.

Another question whilst we’re are it….

When importing a TCX or a GPX (from rwgps), if I turn off the VP it still shows on the elevation page? Two dots, one being myself and the other just seems to tick along at a steady pace. How do I turn that off so that it only shows me on the elevation page?!

Thanks again

Flaperon

Build your courses using RideWithGPS, it automatically embeds a cuesheet with more detailed turn instructions.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I never use the Elevation page.. So don’t know about that, sorry.

However you do know you can customise the screens so you can view all sorts of data don’t you? This means you can disable the VP screen if you like.. Just go into the Profile of the Bike you are using and scroll through the screens either adding the dataset or deleting it or turing off the “page”…

The VP also has a profile of it’s own, you can set the “speed” of the VP easy enough if you want to. I only use mine as a guide when climbing so set it at a low pace and glance at it occasionally.. Thats about all I use mine for.

HTH

fubar
    Free Member

How do I turn that off so that it only shows me on the elevation page?!

It’s not a problem I’ve noticed but if you are following a ‘Course’, open the course and before pressing ‘GO’ press the spanner and set Virtual Partner- Off (on by default), and Turn Guidance – On (off by default). That may solve that issue ?

(mine is a 800 so may be slightly different on an 810)

Milkie
    Free Member

A great link below, for everything you need to know about the Edge 8xx.
    Dummies Guide to Garmin Edge 8xx Course Planning – Frank Kinlan

I think I used bikeroutetoaster for making my own routes and adding turn by turn navigation.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Garmin 810 – Navigation question’ is closed to new replies.