Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Garmin 810 firmware v4.2?
  • sam_underhill

Anyone installed it yet?

Crossing my fingers that they’ll have fixed the crashing issue with OSM.

tenfoot

After you!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Erm no, not yet.

Only backed the thing up last night too 🙄

I’ll do it when I get home.

Let y’all know how it goes.

munkster
    Free Member

Doing it now. What’s the worst that can happen?? 😆

mrblobby
    Free Member

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well, that last few have had (cough) issues… and the last release made TBT go all random on us if you deviated from the designated route…The Beta I’ve been on has been fine though, so fingers and balls tied together that they’ve fixed what they should and not complicated the whole darn thing with stinky widgets.

munkster
    Free Member

Well I’ve done it, and the Garmin lives, but I have no idea where I am going to see any evidence of Strava on the device unless it’s when you actually come across a Strava segment out on a ride as opposed to sat on your sofa…

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Updated mine but not used it for navigation since.

I still struggle to get courses to download via Garmin Connect though.

On the whole, it really is rather crappy.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You know I’ve only ever had one issue downloading a route to the device from connect, that was some time ago too.. like about a year. Since then I’ve used the normal express connection to connect and been very happy with it in general.

I know only too well about some peoples issues with it, but I’ve used garmins forum to get fixes and “how to” guides and have stayed clear of all the moaning threads on there.

Have you tried searching garmins forum? try it.. you may find a solution to your issues..

Or, well post em’ on here and we’ll ruin it good an proper for you 😆

munkster
    Free Member

I know only too well about some peoples issues with it, but I’ve used garmins forum

Wait. There are OTHER FORUMS?? 😯 😀

Until I go on a ride I won’t know for sure but I get the impression the Strava segments are going to behave the same way as the Garmin ones used to (ie. probably crash my device 😆 but I digress) but just with Strava details using starred segments not Garmin ones. Whether it will offer me “nearby” segments I happen to passing through I guess I’ll find out tonight!

mootie
    Free Member

I updated my 810 rebooted it and then plugged it back into the PC, got 54 updates – which were actually Strava segments, now have a ‘Live Strava Segements’ menu item…

Interested to know if it has fixed the navigation crash when using OSM

munkster
    Free Member

got 54 updates – which were actually Strava segments

Yeah, I had similar for segments near me. Seems to suggest it’s down to what GC deems to be a relevant segment near to you rather than it working it out during the course of a ride which would clearly be a harder ask if it doesn’t know where you’re heading!

sam_underhill

I think the segments are supposed to be your starred ones + any others it decides are suitable.
    I’m more interested in bug fixes though.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I think the segments are supposed to be your starred ones

If you’re a Strava Premium member and you’ve selected Strava in Garmin Connect.
    I loaded up about 40 segments and went for a ride around the Quantocks this afternoon. The segments popped up when they where supposed to and I didn’t experience any of the crashing some are moaning about with older firmware, (but I haven’t been experiencing them anyway).

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well I’ve done mine and the thing still boots up nicely so thats a bonus then 😆

Took me a few moments to get it to sync first off due tot he fact that I was trying to sync it using a different USB lead but hey, thats because I have about 19 leads and they all look the bloody same.

As is, it’s loaded, looks the same, will check to see if TBT is still on (as some updates have defaulted to off) and then turn it off and wait until I reach the sunny climbs of North Yorkshire for a weekends hard hacking up and down some of them there bumps.

Shall report back if it goes wobbly or I have issues.

8)

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

So will this be the firmware that makes it a trouble free purchase? Considering this or the 520.

munkster
    Free Member

Did a ride this evening. All worked OK. The only thing is that when it found a Strava segment while you’re in it all you really see on the map is the KOM person as a “virtual partner” icon (ie. showing you how much more awesome than you they were on their ride) plus the KOM time and your own average speed on the segment. Unlike on GC segments that went before there are no live splits to show you how far off your own best time you are. Whether this can be changed in the display options I don’t know, I’ll have to investigate. As it was it was slightly underwhelming; unexpectedly the Garmin segment thing that went before it was better for the above reasons.

On the plus side, an 810 that used to die when following a segment or course didn’t do so on the former at least, so fingers crossed this latest firmware has indeed fixed that.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well, I have to say it’s working fine. Rest easy fellas.

Used on a 135k route around North Yorkshire yesterday, a planned a route and rode it fine. I even diverted off the route on three occasions to see if TBT had a dickyfit, but it didn’t, it simply found the route when I added a small section to the route I was riding when I rejoined the planned route.

All recorded, all fine, no issues.

Out again today on another 150k bounce, will let you know if I have any issues.

windydave13
    Free Member

I could be pushing my luck here, but all seems fine. I took it on the same route where mine died the other day and it was fine. Seems to take an age to sync via the phone but I can live with that.

Fingers crossed they’ve got it right this time

stevious

Is there something special I should be doing to get this to work on my 810? I’ve updated to 4.2 and already have connect & strava linked. I’m on strava premium too.

Can’t see any menu items for strava segments but just the old, empty garmin segments menu.

EDIT: synched again. no idea what I did differently but it worked.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I can’t get mine to work. Everything is up to date, synced and routes started as favourites but nothing happens when riding. Syncs don’t seem very fast or reliable though. They take about 5 mins and most times fail.

njee20
    Free Member

Unlike on GC segments that went before there are no live splits to show you how far off your own best time you are. Whether this can be changed in the display options I don’t know, I’ll have to investigate. As it was it was slightly underwhelming; unexpectedly the Garmin segment thing that went before it was better for the above reasons.

Before the segment begins, and possibly during, you can scroll at the top and change between the KOM time, your own PB and times of people you follow on Strava.

What is slightly odd is that it won’t tell you you have the KOM unless you were racing the KOM, won’t say you’ve got a PB unless you were against your PR etc.

legend
    Free Member

well I can now no longer upload rides via my phone. On a positive note, it didn’t catch fire during the ride

bikebouy
    Free Member

Erm, well erm. Ride went well but I came to press stop and the unit froze. I so couldn’t be bothered with mucking around with it but this has happened once before and it recorded my ride, here’s hoping it did today’s .. I’ll let you know tomorrow.

munkster
    Free Member

Before the segment begins, and possibly during, you can scroll at the top and change between the KOM time, your own PB and times of people you follow on Strava.

Yep, I found this. It’s more that on the GC segments before it had real time progress on any segment, eg. “30s behind” or whatever (usually more!) so you knew how you were doing. The Strava segment treatment just seems very flat with nothing to inform you what’s happening other than an average speed, on mine anyway. Not that bothered really (honest) I played around with the GC segments and lost interest reasonably quickly. As others have said, if it fixes the crashing (and so far so good) then I’ll be happy.

xcracer1
    Free Member

Anyone find uploading from a garmin (810), via bluetooth, to an iphone very slow?

Kryton57

Done, starred a load of segments on one of my training runs, but Garmin Express shows a transfer error, the detail of which is list of all the untransferred starred segments.

Sigh

munkster
    Free Member

Anyone find uploading from a garmin (810), via bluetooth, to an iphone very slow?

If you have lots of “old” rides on your Garmin delete them and it might speed it up (did for me, and some others who have asked about this).

legend
    Free Member

xcracer1 – Member
    POSTED 26 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Yup, mine just won’t do it. Will try this ^ approach though

bigrich

the latest version of garmin connect wont detect my 810. great!

munkster
    Free Member

the latest version of garmin connect wont detect my 810. great!

Did you read that you may have to re-pair your device/phone after the update or is that what you’re having trouble doing?

legend
    Free Member

New version of Garmin Connect is now available to fix the sync issues….. and probably introduce some new ones instead

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohhh ta for that.

As is, I’ve bought an edge 1000 to replace the 810.. I’ve yet to use it in anger but hey… 😆

gavstorie
    Free Member

are you selling your 810 Bikebouy?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Sold it on here last week, sorry

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Garmin 810 firmware v4.2?’ is closed to new replies.