Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Garmin 810
  • zedz
    Free Member

I’m thinking of investing in a Garmin 810 for training and navigating and the performance bundle price is out of my budget, but I like the unit design and functionality, is there a free source of maps that people recommend?

Thanks guys.

Zzz

rickmeister

Openmtb is the one I use.

Good maps of UK and everywhere else, contours, the lot.

strawdog
    Free Member

buy the standalone 810 unit and get the maps from talkytoaster website – not free but cheap

prawny

I’ve got one, it’s good. The Bluetooth sync takes forever though, they need to sort that.

I got the maps from the walk through on the dcrainmaker blog.

munkster
    Free Member

The Bluetooth sync takes forever though, they need to sort that.

Mine did too until I delete old rides then it flew. I deleted old courses for good measure, that seemed to help too. HTH.

[edit]Would also just say that if you are buying it for the LiveTrack functionality I personally couldn’t vouch for it. Mine is unreliable at best, and simply doesn’t work at worst. It used to, but now doesn’t, don’t know if it’s a firmware “upgrade” issue or after I switched from Android to iPhone, but I use RoadID or Glympse now, at least they work![/edit]

youngrob

I’ve got one too and find it brilliant. I also got the maps for free from the DCRainmaker walkthrough and they are great. I also got an ANT+ HRM strap from Decathlon for £30 whicj works really well too.

prawny

I’d heard that munkster, I’ll give it a go. I tried it when it first started playing up but I didn’t really have any rides on there and it made no difference. It seems to have been more stable recently (uploading first time, just taking 5 mins plus) so maybe it’s getting there.

scc999

Cheapest I can find or this is £209.99 – anyone know of a cheaper source before I order?

Cheers,

Si

nickdavies
    Free Member

Ive got the os maps on mine, but currently in Switzerland so wanted something to cover that, using the osm maps from here http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl

They’re pretty good, you can select the tiles you want and download and they install dead easy on map installer. You’ll need a MicroSD card to put the. Onto, I just bunged a few files onto the unit but it probably only covers an area the size of Wales before it runs out of internal space.

andysredmini
    Free Member

The uploads to my iPhone wont work at all at the moment. I have read its due to the latest garmin app update. Pretty annoying as I cba to plug it into the computer.
    I still wonder how garmin can get away with producing such utterly terrible software and us idiots thinking that the next update will be the one that works.

munkster
    Free Member

I have read its due to the latest garmin app update.

When I updated the app last time in the upgrade notes (I tend to read them for Garmin funnily enough!!) I’m sure it said you might have to re-pair your device with the app. I didn’t have to but maybe you do?

windydave13
    Free Member

g such utterly terrible software and us idiots thinking that the next update will be the one that works.

I’ve been thinking exactly this today. My 810 is 3 rides old and for the 2nd time in as many days it has just turned itself off mid-ride. From what I’ve read it seems a common problem with the latest firmware upgrade. At this rate I’ll be sticking with my 200

andysredmini
    Free Member

Thanks, Ill give it a try when I get home. I didn’t even know the app had updated as I have auto update turned on on my phone.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I just went into the app store to see when it had auto updated and there is a new update waiting to install as soon as I get on wifi.
    The release notes say that it should fix issues with sync failures on garmin devices not running the latest firmware (I haven’t updated due to this one working fairly well and hearing of problems with the new releases).
    More importantly they fail to tell me what they will cock up on this release meaning that some basic functionality wont work any more.

madhouse

Thanks for the heads up on the update Andy – just updated mine in advance of tonight’s ride. With a bit of luck they’ve managed to fix more than they break this time.

Was going to suggest OpenStreetMap too, although never used them myself as I got the OS map one.

mrchrispy

I seem to remember paying close to 150 for mine.
    just the unit as I already had a HRM and I loaded it with the free openstreetmap. generally I love it but the sync issue since the last firmware update blows. hopefully this lastest update has sorted it (installing now)

andysredmini
    Free Member

The sync still doesn’t work after the app update. I might have to download the latest farming firmware.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Garmin 810’ is closed to new replies.