Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Garmin 800/810 users – silicon case?
  • stevious

Will probably be getting an 810 for xmas. Is there any need for the silicone case too or are they pretty robust?

Captain_Sponge

They might be robust but post crash finding/relocation can be easier with a yellow/red/green etc case.

Its the screen that gets the most damage IMO.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I bought one and I’m glad I did. I tether an old camera strap through the bottom of the case and to the bars/stem as I nearly lost the garmin a few times when I knocked it round in the mount when riding.

See this thread for further details http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/tethering-a-garmin-to-the-bike

Separate to the above the silicon case is good and cheap. Probably doesn’t actually do much. If you used the case alongside a screen protector film the whole thing is pretty much covered and less likely to scratch but that’s about it. Doubt it would do much in the event of a crash etc.

tenfoot

i use a bright red one to make the Garmin easy to spot, plus use a screen protector. Like andy above, I have also attached a makeshift lanyard to the case.

sarpullido
    Free Member

I’ve ridden over very rough terrain in Scotland, Alps, Finale Ligure etc…and never had a problem. Very robust after 2 years and a half of abuse and still going strong. Maybe a screen protector is a good idea.

Pete-B
    Free Member

I’ve got one, it’s added protection and doesn’t unduly affect sensation in this case.
    And as soon as they became available, after loosing an 800, I bought a Sram mount so the device fits directly over the stem where it’s least likely to get knocked off during an off.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I got one mainly because I had read that the cover protects the altitude sensor when it’s raining. Keeps most of the crap off the device too and makes it easier to handle as the cover is grippier than the case.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I got one for the extra bit of bump protection. Much more important is the screen protector as muddy fingers scratch.

mtbsam
    Free Member

im the same as everyone above, i find the case keeps out alot of mud and defo get a screen protector!

markshires
    Free Member

For me the screen protector is a must, the silicon case I don’t think it does much but having it in a bright colour does help you find it if you knock it off. Normally when I loose a bit of traction and lurch forwards a bit knocking my knee into it.

Just read the other thread above and wondered whether putting a bit of sticky back velcro on the round bits would help, anyone tried that?

Dibbs
    Free Member

I find the silicon case helps in wet weather, without the case water blocks the sensor hole sooner and messes up the elevation readings. It still happens with the case but not as often.

Pete-B
    Free Member

That’s something which recently occurred to me – when I road ride without the silicone case in the rain the altimeter craps out. It doesn’t happen when mountainbiking.
    D’oh!

cp

I use the case and it’s a good protector against general scuffs and knocks, not necessarily on the bike.

Also a screen protector is a must.

When I remove the screen protector on mine to replace it, the unit itself still looks brand new – it’s nearly two years old now and gets used most days.

jamiemcf

I’ll echo the rest, a screen protector is a must. after coming off in the Tour de Ben Nevis the screen on my 510 ended up with a tasty scratch. the 510 came with a small elasticated teather which is also now used.

milky1980
    Free Member

Got a silicon case and a screen protector on mine.

My 800 looks as good as new despite it being chucked in my locker at work and in the boot of the car regularly. A big crash could kill it regardless but they certainly stop it getting loads of smaller scratches from day-to-day use. My mate’s one without protection is shagged after far less use, virtually impossible to read and looks like it’s survived the apocalypse!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Garmin 800/810 users – silicon case?’ is closed to new replies.