• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by dlr.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Garmin 800 Maps Any Good?
  • wisepranker
    Free Member

I’m looking at getting a Garmin 800 with the Discoverer 1:50 map pack and was wondering if it’s any good for using off road?

I’m thinking of using it for finding routes in the Surrey Hills area as well as uploading some of the trails that are in MBR every month.

What’s peoples experiences with it?

DavidB
    Free Member

I’ve got them. Don’t rate the maps as they are bitmapped and quality is poor when you zoom in. I replaced them with openstreetmap vector mapping.

wisepranker
    Free Member

Do you use the openstreetmap in place of the Discoverer ones or do you need them both?

Does the openstreetmap mapping work well on road as well as off road?

DavidB
    Free Member

You can only have one map on the edge at a time so I replaced them

OSM road mapping is fantastic, it is off road where it is not as good

Janesy
    Free Member

I use the OS discoverer maps. There only 1:50 so you can zoom in as much as DavidB obviously wants too. I use them and find them infinitely better than the OSM maps. There OS for god’s sake.

chaos

David – have you tried the openmtbmap.org maps? Should be a notch up from the OSM ones. Certainly good for the Purbecks but that’s the only place I’ve really tried them so far.

br
    Free Member

My buddy has one, and while we carry a paper map, in reality you could get away without one.

Best thing about the 800 (and any mapping GPS I guess), is that if you don’t know where you are – look at it. Really good for todays North Downs ride, especially as I don’t know it so well.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

^^ this

DT78
    Free Member

I found the 1:50k lacking, for me many paths and bridleways I know are there don’t show. I downloaded openstreetmap and it’s alot better.

I reckon if you want to use it properly off road you need to stump up for the 1:25k mapping for the area you ride.

To be honest I mainly use my 800 to record my rides, the few times I’ve tried to follow other peoples tracks with it was very hit and miss. The best feature in my opinion is when you get lost you can get it to navigate you straight back to your car 🙂

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I find them absolutely fine. You really don’t need to be zooming in to the extent the image goes pixely. If you are lost, then it’s far more likely (and useful) that you’ll be zooming out

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

1:25k all the way – when zoomed to 1:3k in conjunction with the 1:25k map detail it is pretty easy to follow a route at a good speed, esp if the map orientates itself to the direction you are riding.

I use a Satmap.

wisepranker
    Free Member

The more I read about the different maps available, the more confused I’m getting!

If I were to upload the trails shown on this Swinley map to an Edge 800, would I be able to navigate the trails with the 800 or is that expecting a bit much of it?

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.3759&lon=-0.7443&zoom=14&layers=0B00FTF

scaredypants

I follow a bloke who has a Satmap

Do this, it’s AWESOME !

failing that, I suppose you could get yr own satmap (it is excellent IMO)

dlr

Is there anyway to get 1:25k maps from Memory Map onto a 800?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Garmin 800 Maps Any Good?’ is closed to new replies.