Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Garmin 800, can it display a measurement of individual sections travelled ?
  • rickmeister

Ms Rickmeisteress has a TCL course Monday…. we have a Garmin 800 between us and I admit that the nav function would be a cheat but she can just not use this.

Can the Garmin show distance travelled from point to point, then the display be reset? eg, from a road junction to a left turn on a track in 450 metres, can it be set at the road junction and show when 450m has been travelled, then be reset to zero again for the next leg?

Sorry about the clumsy description ^^^^^

Thanks

MSP

Use lap, press the lap button to create manual laps, or set auto lap for fixed distance segments.

rickmeister

Thanks, will give it a go.

druidh
    Free Member

Mental arithmetic isn’t her strong point then Rick?

MSP

Hang on, by TCL do you mean “trail cycle leader”?

If so then if she can’t navigate without gps, she shouldn’t get the qualification.

druidh
    Free Member

MSP – I think the question is “how to use the 800 as a simple distance counter” – the way you’d use a basic cycle computer. Rick has already said in his post that she’d switch the navigation function off.

mcboo
    Free Member

Use a map, navigate from point to point. It isnt that difficult and if you’re going to be leading groups of kids on rides you should probably know how to do it.

rickmeister

Thanks Druidh, thats exactly it and MSP, your absolutely right too.

I don’t want to buy another cycle computer… simple maths is ok but inevitably there may be other things going on during the sections, games, questions, mechanicals, haribo’s…. its better dealt with by the computer me thinks.

Imagine you arrive at a point on 7.56km, you need to go a further 450m…. or worse… “how many metres since our last known point? Holding those numbers in my head sounds easy but in practice, its different.

I found myself constantly resetting a computer to zero as a habit on the route and it paid off. (my dead computer of many years has been replaced by the garmin).

rickmeister

Mcboo, the TCL states that using a cycle computer is a valuable aid… and it is. Its no substitute for a map (nor is a gps imho), they should work together…

Back to my op, think I have it, thanks.

MSP

well yep its the lap button then, and make sure that lap distance is shown on the screen.

rickmeister

Thanks MSP.

You can set the display to show Current lap and Last Lap at the same time.

In your example above, press Lap at 7.56km.
    Keep moving until Current Lap shows 450m.
    Last Lap will show how many metres 7.56km was after the previous point.

rickmeister

Thanks Graham…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Garmin 800, can it display a measurement of individual sections travelled ?’ is closed to new replies.