Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Garmin 800 / 500… advice and any deals about?
  • rickmeister

Interested in getting an 800 model for the mapping option not the HR cadence kit. Bit confused by the different packages of base map, euro city mapping and 1:50k mapping…

What is the best usable package for mtb, also is there a 1:25 mapping option?

Lastly, any good deals for the 800 / 500 at the moment ?

hugor
    Free Member

I use the topo GB 1:50000 maps which are great for mtb navigation. GB explorer does not have contour elevation lines or off road paths so is basically useless for mtb but has better city and town detail so is probably better for road riding.

KonaTC

Best deal I could find a while back was

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/41070/Garmin_Edge_800_Enduro_GPS_Computer_CadenceHRMGB_150_Maps

Garmin 800 Unit
    OS Maps 1:50,000 (on very small data card)
    HRM
    Cadence Kit
    2 Mounting Kits

All in for £360

cp

Base map is motorways and major A-roads only, useless really except for making sure the device works.

City Navigator is complete road maps, usually comes with Europe.

GB Trail or GB Discoverer (the same thing is described as both) is 1:50 OS maps.

Performance pack is with HRM, Cadence and City Navigator road maps

Enduro pack is with HRM, Cadence and 1:50 OS maps.

They don’t package them with the edge 800 in the UK, but beware of Garmin’s TOPO maps, which are OK for some places where alternatives don’t exist, but are very poor compared to OS maps.

Mackem

If you arent using HRM and Cadence sensors then I think the 500/800 models are too much for you. The new Etrex 20 looks good for your needs.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-eTrex-Outdoor-Handheld-Unit/dp/B00542NVDW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333354954&sr=8-1

Cheaper, so you can buy the topo maps to go on it.

hugor
    Free Member

Here are equivalent snapshots of the Afan valley from GB explorer and topo GB.

GB explorer

Topo GB

Edit:
    if I wasn’t using any of the fitness stuff I’d buy something with a larger screen. It is a bit tricky using the 800 screen.
    I’d probably go for the Garmin Dakota or even one of the memory map gps units. At least with memor map you get original OS maps as opposed to garmin copies of OS maps.

damo2576
    Free Member

Best deal on 500’s I’ve seen is Handtec (minus hrm + cadence)

GEDA
    Free Member

I have a Dakota 20 that looks like the the Etrex but is touch screen. It is small but works really well as a navigation device. Not so go as a “sport” device as you can’t race against yourself for example like you can with the edge I believe.

Milkie
    Free Member
    rickmeister

Thanks folks, Hugor, is the topo version available for edge 800’s… they only offer !:50 and this is different, right?

druidh
    Free Member

If you are wanting it for mountain biking, I’d go for the 1:50k mapping.

I use a Dakota 20 for this. As above, it’s not really a “sport” GPS so behaves slightly differently to an Edge. For instance;
    1/ Tracking is always on – there is no Start/Stop recording
    2/ It has no concept of Autopause.
    3/ It will take a HR signal, but no cadence

On the up-side, it has a better compass, better waypoint handling and lots of other little features more appropriate to those heading off-road.

I also like the fact that it runs off AA batteries. That makes multi-day trips in the wilds easier as I don’t have to faff about with the solar charger.

Happy to let you have a play with mine if that helps.

hugor
    Free Member

I think topo GB only comes in 1:50000. Its not normally packaged with the garmin units but sold seperately. I already had my garmin unit from Aus when I came here so just bought the maps.
    Most of the garmin deals have GB explorer included for a fraction more so its probably worth getting one of those and see if it suits you. You could always change to topo later.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Garmin 800 / 500… advice and any deals about?’ is closed to new replies.