Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Garmin 500 query re distance reset
  • iainc

Is there a simple function on my Garmin 500 that will allow me to zero the distance during a ride ? Wanting to use it for simple distance counting between features, so for example, set to zero at a river crossing, ride 2.6k to a power line crossing, check distance, reset to zero, and so on to next feature. (using in conjunction with a paper map as an MBLA training assessment)

Tried the lap button but it doesn’t put distance reading back to zero on the screen. I think it would on download, but I need to be working from the screen display. ll I have found so far it to stop, reset, restart, which is a bit of a pain.

scotroutes

Wow. Just wow. 😆

If you reset, does it also reset the track (meaning you can’t use trackback either)?

Buy and use a simple, cheap bike computer. It’s obviously what they’re expecting, unless they’re maybe thinking you have a length of string with knots on that you can pay out as you ride. Or how about a sextant? Too modern?

iainc

🙂

The tutor was using an old Cateye one….

Reset does remove trackback, but not too fussed about that as I have a map 🙂

…The string gets used in the route planning bit beforehand Colin, where the ‘leader’ has to ink up his map or route cards, with distances and features to navigate by…

Yeah, I know…

(Edit, iaincjnr has a Garmin 200, which I could use instead if it would do it ?)

sockpuppet

You should be able to modify one of the screens in the settings to show “lap distance”, which should give you what you’re after.

Once you hit “lap” that field *should* go back to zero and count up from there. I’ll have a go with my edge later and see – don’t have a 500, but I can try a 200 and an 820 so should be able to give some idea!

iainc

^^^^ now we’re getting there 🙂 sounds a good option, will have a play with it tonight, cheers

sockpuppet

Yep, lap distance does it, resets to zero when you press lap, and starts counting up. Checked on my 820, and a walk to the corner and back!

iainc

Great, many thanks

scotroutes

Can I assume that any nighttime illumination duties are taken care of by a paraffin lamp?

iainc

ha 🙂 , well, y’see, leading rides in the dark is beyond the scope of MBLA level 2 or 3, but there is a seperate bolt on module for it 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Garmin 500 query re distance reset’ is closed to new replies.