Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Garmin 500 or 510
  • turneround

going to splash out on a new puter / training aid. The 500’s can be found quite cheaply now but as with all new shiny things, is the 510 a better buy?

CraigW
    Free Member

The Edge 510 is way bigger than the 500, plus has a touch screen, and will be quite a bit more expensive.
    The main advantage of the 510 is has Bluetooth for connecting to a phone for downloading and live tracking.

I would say just get a 500, unless you really want to connect it to a phone.

There’s a very detailed review here, which includes comparisons to the 500 and 800 etc: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/01/garmin-edge-510-in-depth-review.html

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I like the idea of the live tracking.

Can see it being used by the other half to make sure the bacon rolls are ready the moment I get home.

Aidy
    Free Member

I’m failing to see the point of any of the extra features of the 510.

Colour screen without maps?

Phone integration for various gubbins? Entire reason I bought a Garmin was to not use my phone for bike GPS duties. I mean, if you’re going to tether your Garmin GPS to your phone, why wouldn’t you just get a decent bike mount for your phone?

headfirst
    Free Member

I like my 500 not having a touchscreen so it’s not fiddly, in gloved hands.
    And what Aidy says.

turneround

thats what i was thinking really, the 500 is man enough for my needs (did i just write that!!)

Haze

Went with a 500 for much of the above…

TiRed

I hate touch screens. The buttons on my 200 work just fine. With gloves. In the rain. The only downside with the 500 is the rather gash colour schemes. So I shall swap cases when I order mine next month.

Ladders
    Free Member

Really disappointed with the size of the 510! Might as well get the 810 with it being the same massive size!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Anyone taken the plunge on a 510 yet?

I’m with Ladders and a bit disappointed by the size of the 510. I have a 500, a lovely little bit of kit, and was going to get another one for mrs blobby but thought I’d wait for the 510… but then looking at the size of it I may as well get an 810. Think I’ll wait till the LBS has one in and go have a play.

Also a bit worried about the touch screen. Buttons on the 500 work just fine. Trying to use a fiddly touch screen may be a pain while riding. And Garmin have got previous with slightly dodgy interfaces, as much as I love my forerunner 405, the touch sensitive bezel is a right pain and I’m not surprised they’ve ditched it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Garmin 500 or 510’ is closed to new replies.