Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Garlic Crusher
  • slowjo
    Free Member

In slowjo Towers, particularly in the kitchens, rumours are rife that cook has once again failed in her quest to purchase a garlic crusher that is actually any good. It seems that many styles and designs at a range of prices have been tried, all to no avail.

In an attempt to keep cook on an even keel, and away from the sherry bottle of frustration, I have been tasked with finding a garlic crusher that does what is says on the tin but doesn’t clog up as soon as you introduce a garlic clove to it.

I have suggested the flat side of a knife as a viable option but got a Paddington Bear stare of epic proportions in return. Apparently, that was not what she asked for!

Does anyone out there in Singletrackland have any recommendations? I know I can do a google search btw but there is a world of difference between claims of delight and wonder, and the gritty reality of life in slowjo Towers kitchens.

🙂

scruff9252

I’m convinced they don’t exist. All the ones I’ve used leave around half the clove in the plate.

Either crush with the knive or finely cut for me…

wolly
    Free Member

Fine microplane grater and never look back

footflaps

Have to confess, we just use this stuff…

OXO

I don’t actually own one, but OXO stuff is really good and the reviews match.

jambalaya
    Free Member

We rarely use one. Large flat bladed knife to crush and then chop. The wife insists on taking out the green core (very French I am told) as it gives you indigestion ? IMHO a pestle and motar is far more useful than a specific garlic crusher, more effort though.

However if you must then a simple crusher with a way to unclog the holes, we had one which was reversible. EDIT that OXO one looks suitable and I would second the cimment about OXO stuff in general being good.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

The Mrs got me one. I’llask her where from later. It’s a cracker.

Stoner
    Free Member

I was bored.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RyfVmTcJUo[/video]

TBH I use a cleaver. I get stinky fingers, but it works fine.

Interesting in the vid ^ how they say quality of crushing impacts on flavour of a dish.

£29 is still quite a lot for a garlic press
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kuhn-Rikon-Stainless-Epicurean-Garlic/dp/B0056EYETI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449311011&sr=8-1&keywords=Kuhn+Rikon+Epicurean+Garlic+Press

CHB

WMF Profi Plus Garlic press. Bought one last year after getting fed up with trash.

me1tdown
    Free Member

I’ve got an IKEA one, it’s fantastic and was pretty cheap.

EDIT: IIRC you can also buy them on Amazon.

saxabar
    Free Member

Fine cheese grater (for hard cheeses) here. Easy to wash too.

slowjo
    Free Member

A wealth of info there….thanks

patentlywill
    Free Member

According to this Good Housekeeping USA the VacuVin one is the way to go if available in UK. 30 odd crushers tested.

toppers3933
    Free Member

we had an oxo one that was good until it broke. it was replaced with an ikea one which is great too. I’m not entirely sure what your doing wrong if you can’t get a garlic crusher to work….. 😉

slowjo
    Free Member

Hey…it’s the cook, not me! Can’t get the staff nowadays! ;o)

gonefishin
    Free Member

a garlic crusher that does what is says on the tin but doesn’t clog up as soon as you introduce a garlic clove to it.

Leave the skin on the clove when you crush it then you can just peel the remains out without any trouble., but to be honest I think a knife is a better way of crushing garlic.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Fine microplane grater and never look back

This.

I have an OXO one and it’s pretty poor, had to glue the black bit of the handles on a few times, grating is so much better.

TheFlyingOx

Don’t crush. Grate.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Use the side of a knife, like a proper, sweary chef.

chestrockwell

I had the same issue recently and ended up spending a bit on one like the oxo crusher. Ours isn’t exactly the same as it looks more robust but the principle is.

RustyNissanPrairie

+10million for the Ikea one. Buy from amazon/ebay to save yourself from going the mdf shithole that is an Ikea store of hate.

MrNutt
    Free Member

This again.

Take the clove, and chop the top and tail off it.
    Carefully slice it lengthways and the skin will also now fall off it.
    REMOVE THE GERM!
    Now do what ever you like with it.

Xylene
    Free Member

Was expecting a thread about bare knuckle boxing in France.

CheesybeanZ

Has anyone mentioned grating yet – fresh or frozed works a treat .

granny_ring

Here you go lazy 🙂
    Have to say it’s not working as good as it was, but for the money….
    I sometime use it and sometimes turn to the knife.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Ikea mate!

JoB
    Free Member

the ‘Joseph Joseph’ Garlic Rocker is surprisingly satisfying, you have to get the stainless one though, for niceness

still use the flat of a knife most of the time

Drac

Smash and chop.

timber

I have the Joseph Joseph stainless one too. Simple, easy, rarely any gets stuck and looks good with a pleasing feel.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

eddiebaby
    Free Member

This one…

toby1

+1 for the Joseph Joseph as mentioned by JoB, it’s the best one I’ve owned. 100 edition of course as it’s stainless.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

6 secs (might be 10secs) in the microwave, husk (or whatever it’s called: skin) falls straight off, crush, chop or grate.

tomd
    Free Member

OXO goodgrips one working well for us. Does about 3 cloves in one go and feels very solid.

km79
    Free Member

joolsburger
    Free Member

+1 for Ikea one it’s cheap and excellent.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/IKEA-KONCIS-Garlic-press-stainless/dp/B00PNKYZQC

Used mine at least 5 times a week for a few months now no issues and cleans very well in the dishy.

fozzie
    Free Member

I have bent and broken lots of crushers, have not tried the oxo or ikea.

Currently on the single piece Joseph Joseph as mentioned before

[/url]][/url]

No sign of breaking yet.

mogrim

I’ve got a half-plastic/half-metal Joseph Joseph, and now I feel inadequate 🙁

Works well, though, although most times I just chop it up fine.

bigblackshed

Joolsburgers IKEA one up there.^^^^

We have the same one, it crushes garlic, that’s about as much notice as I’ve paid to it. So it must do the job or it would have been thrown out with the other useless crap that The Wife buys at IKEA.

Apparently it does a fine job of sugar paste grass when she’s decorating cakes.

andywill

OXO goodgrips here, it’s excellent, crushes very well & very easy to clean.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Garlic Crusher’ is closed to new replies.