• This topic has 13 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by ski.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • gardeningtrackworld – what to grow in my greenhouse
  • lakesrider
    Free Member

i’ve got a greenhose in the garden of my new house, never had a greenhouse before so i’m wondering what fruit / veg is easy to grow.

Obviously tomatos, but can i do veg like potatos / carrots that you would normally plant in a veg plot?

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Stick with the stuff that would benefit from the warmer environment. Tomato, pepper, chilli, aubergine, cucumber, melon, successional lettuce.. spuds are good to set later in the season for ‘new’ potatoes at christmas for example..

ski
    Free Member

peppers & chillis are a must for me, plus cucumbers, you could put potatoes and carrots inside if you wanted, but its a bit of a waste.

Long term, a grape vine do amazing well in a greenhouse too.

ART

Ooh [perks up and watches thread with interest] … need inspiration this year 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

We are 600 feet up in Scotland and grow peaches, nectarines, figs, courgettes and tomatoes in ours.

lakesrider
    Free Member

Mc Moonter, is that just in the summer or is yours heated as well?

Ok i’ll abandon the potatoes and carrots, so out of all the sugggestions so far which are the easiest?

Should i be planting any seeds now, or is it better fo a novice to get the little plants in the tiny plastic pots from the garden centre and start growing from these (more expensive i know).

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Mc Moonter, is that just in the summer or is yours heated as well?

We don’t have any heating, keeping things watered is more of a challenge. I forgot to add grapes to the list. Strawberries and mint thrive in there too.

ski
    Free Member

If you do cucumbers, try and source a female only seeds (F1) that will save you the hassel of dead heading the male flowers, will cost more, but worth it.

qwerty
    Free Member

We grew potatoes carrots strawberries and pumpkins outside. Lettuce, chillis, tomatoes, strawberries & peppers.

z1ppy

Lots of chilli peppers & tomatos, to break yourself in easily, as all you need to do with these (after planting) is water them…

konagirl
    Free Member

I would add, if you are new to growing your own, it’s worth investing in a heated propagator for the chilli seeds (+ others), unless you keep your house really toasty. Some chillis (especially the Chinense varieties) need to be wamer than 25 deg C (most state 28-30 deg C for 7-21 days) to germinate. Once they’ve popped up, just take them out of the propagator and onto a windowsill with lots of sunshine. We’ve managed to grow hardy chillis outside (Cayenne, Bulgarian Carrot) but when I had access to a greenhouse last year, the plants grew 3-4 times the size and so we got so much more from them.

yunki
    Free Member

copious amounts of Mujange for flow and kasae.. 😉

captaincarbon
    Free Member

+1 for konegirls advice.. depends what part of the country you’re in for unheated sowing. Will be sowing my toms next week down here (Somerset).

ski
    Free Member

My spuds are in 😉

Got snow forcasted for Sunday too!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘gardeningtrackworld – what to grow in my greenhouse’ is closed to new replies.