Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Gardening track world – overseeding grass
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Text book (as far as I can see) overseeding of my (sparse) lawn: kill moss, scarify, cut, feed, sow, water 1-2 times daily for 2 weeks.

Not a single seed germinated (or eaten by birds!).

What am I doing wrong? £10 wasted on seed 😡

chojin
    Free Member

Two weeks is still early days – A little more patience and assuming all is well (and the grass is exposed to sunlight) I reckon you’ll start seeing results soon.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

Scarify to remove moss/ thatch or did you loosen compacted soil?
    Did you add more topsoil?
    Temperature in a good germination range?
    Every spring I dethatch, core aerate, fertilise, seed and redress lawn. 1 week to sprout seeds with no lawn traffic

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers – it’s been pretty cold up here (no frost though), I did nowt to the soil. Most of it gets good sunlight.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

without loosening the top surface of soil, compacted turf can be literally bulletproof.
    You need consistant 10deg + soil temp for germination. Colder than that and not much will happen. Once it does warn up, things will happen quickly, but if theres no where for the roots to go and rhizomes to spread then it wont be a very durable lawn (to traffic or drought)

molgrips
    Free Member

Ours has been down 4 weeks and about 50p worth of seed has come up… always the same.

You need to soak it with water if it’s not raining every day.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers, hopefully some warmth will help if it comes. I’ll maybe rake in some topsoil too, and keep watering.

footflaps

Over-seeding has a very low success rate as the seeds don’t get any purchase. If you cover the seeds with Lawn Dressing it gives them a moist mixture to germinate in and get started. I’ve just done all the patches in our lawn and have 1″ grass after 10 days from new seed.

z1ppy

As above it take a surprising amount of time to germinate, and even then it’ll look like a teenagers chin hairs for ages but should come good.. or has on the several lawns I’ve reseeded

molgrips
    Free Member

I mixed sand, compost and seed last year – didn’t make much difference. This year it was just chucked down – it’s thickened out the main body fairly well, or it will when it grows well enough, but the bare bits around the edges are still quite bare. I’ll re-do those with some lawn dressing or some of that coir stuff perhaps.

footflaps

Coir stuff is very expensive, 25kg of lawn dressing is £4 at local Garden Centre…..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Gardening track world – overseeding grass’ is closed to new replies.