• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Gardening / DIY help required. Putting gutters on a greenhouse
  • nbt

As the title says folks, I need to put gutters on our recently erected greenhouse. I have had a browse of the t'interweb and have found very little helpful, as most pages seemed to talk about new greenhouses with gutters built in – our greenhouse must be older than those

Here's a pic showing how the roof overlaps the sidewalls

As it's an aluminium greenhouse, on most of the struts there's a channel where you can put square headed bolts so you can bolt things on – at the end of each of the roof struts there's a wotsit bolted in to stop the roof glass slipping down

Anyone got any ideas? Have you managed to mount guttering on a similar greenhouse?

nickjb
    Free Member

Can't you just bolt a standard gutter bracket to the uprights? If not some bent bits of ali will do the same job.

nbt

Can't you just bolt a standard gutter bracket to the uprights?

Not from what I can see, they're quite thin then you view them from the side. I suppose I could drill through them and fix something that way but TBH I think I'd struggle making the brackets, I'm not a great person when it comes to that kind of stuff

Anyone else from the morning crowd have any ideas?

bruneep

can I ask why?

wors

Drill a couple of hoes through the frame and gutter and cable tie.

gusamc
    Free Member

I'm at work – and pics don't display

anyway
    1 – mount gutter on wooden/etc posts to take weight and fix to frame
    2 – can you hang gutter off wire etc across roof so load is on ally
    3 – can you put something under the glasspanes like a thin flat metal S or U hook that you could sit gutter on
    4 – can you use stainless wire from bolts on mount channels to make a hanger – maybe from end glass stop bolt – ditto with any other hanger shapes

Murray

Add a wooden post front and rear and run one length of gutter per side. Looks like you've only got a 6 foot run so should be fine.

nbt

bruneep – Member

can I ask why?

Why what? Why run gutters? To collect the rainwater in a water butt to use when watering the plants.

gusamc

Cheers, your thinking more or less mirrors mine, all ideas I've considered, just the implementation I'm worrying about, I'm not great at fabricating

Murray, interesting thought, that hadn't occurred.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Gardening / DIY help required. Putting gutters on a greenhouse’ is closed to new replies.