Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Gardeners – what secateurs?
  • stevied
    Free Member

Budget about £45.

Have some old Bahco ones which have been pretty good and used Felco many* years ago when I worked in the garden centre.

What would you recommend for general gardening duties?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Everyone’s going to say Felco or Bahco.

I use felco no7.

However, I’m certain there’s better if you go fancy japanese.

drlex
    Free Member

Add a few quid and get Felco #2? Suspect most gardenistas are outside at present.

BikePawl
    Free Member

Whatever brand you go for make sure you get anvil type.

drlex
    Free Member
    ctk
    Free Member

£5 in Lidl at the mo. Rest on booze?

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

£5 in Lidl at the mo. Rest on booze?

I bought the Lidl ones about a year ago and they’ve been fine.

Hic!

jond
    Free Member

Having had a pair of long-handled felcos for mebbe 15 yrs, and some cheaper (non adjustable?) lookalikey jobbies (ditto some gilettes ? from the 90s), I’d stick with felcos.
    Have two other pairs of unknown manufacture from 50s/60s or later which are pretty decent too, but they’re not to hand so not too sure why those have always worked better than the lookalikes…problem generally is a pivot which slackens and can’t be reliably set.

Have never used anvil pruners, but I gather they’re different tools – anvils may crush soft stems, but may work better on harder/dry wood.

ski
    Free Member

Ex park keeper here, Felco all the way, look after them and they will last years..

aide

Felco’s here too, had one set over 20 years now. Now got a #6 for general use

flip456
    Free Member

I been very impressed with my purchase last year of some Spear and Jackson, heavy duty professional felco type. Only £15 and recommended by a groundsman mate.

nedrapier

Whatever brand you go for make sure you get anvil type.

Depends what you’re cutting, surely? Pros and cons for both.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I have Felco #2, which I’ve been used for over ten years. The blade comes out for occasional sharpening on an oilstone. I believe new blades are available, but don’t feel any need.

I’m trying a cheap pair in stainless with riveted wooden grips, they are about adequate, but are fine to lend to others. I think they were on offer at Waitrose.

thepurist

Felco here too, no idea which number – Felco also do a factory service option if diy isn’t your thong. As above I’d say anvil are fine for woody stems but bypass are probably better for softer stuff. Fwiw I tend to go for anvil loppers and bypass secateurs.

stevied
    Free Member

Looks like I’ll be going Felco. Thanks for all the input 🙂

McHamish
    Free Member

I have some Fiskars secateurs…they do what they’re supposed to do.

I bought them as i have a Fiscars splitting axe which also does what it’s supposed to do.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Gardeners – what secateurs?’ is closed to new replies.