Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Garden shed / office building for the inept DIY'er
  • bubs

My shed is long past its prime. It leaks, has holes in the walls and is just a damp and musty space. I would love a dry, clean workshop style space to fiddle with bikes and build stuff.
    Assuming the foundations and electrics are fine, how difficult for a non DIY enthusiast are sheds/offices to put up?
    Is it worth paying for installation? Anywhere I should be looking for bargains?

nickjb
    Free Member

Easy enough. Better with an assistant. Nothing too tricky about it. I wouldn’t assume the foundations and electrics are OK but if they are then it does simplify things

redstripe
    Free Member
    hebdencyclist
    Free Member

As nickjb said, it’s not that difficult if there are two of you on the job.

But

Is it worth paying for installation?

This just depends on your outlook. If you enjoy a project and/or cash is a bit tight, then crack on. If you’re not really interested in the whys and wherefores of building a shed, you just want one, then yep, keep a tradesperson in business and pay out 🙂

Edit: I always assumed I was rubbish at DIY but in the last couple of years I’ve been taking on bigger and more challenging projects. Things that seem daunting or technical (like building a foundation in the garden for a shed) are actually pretty simple once you’ve read up online how it’s done, watched some Youtube videos, asked questions on here and gone down to the builder’s merchants with a list. I find it satisfying to be having a cup of coffee on a patio that I’ve built (or whatever).

Me and my girlfriend have a deal. I do the work (thus saving us the cost of trades) and my girlfriend buys me the tools. So now I have a lovely collection of power and hand tools and it’s growing all the time. Everybody’s happy 😀

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Garden shed / office building for the inept DIY'er’ is closed to new replies.