Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 116 total)
  • Garden Dug Up and Cable installed on my property without permission
  • Hedgehog
    Free Member

I cant believe this, im so stunned. comments please !

virgin routed cable to my next door neighbour (behind me) right though the middle of my front garden !
    only noticed it saturday morning, was installed last wednesday, first time its been day light to see it. No they dont have permission, they dont have permission to cross the shared access either. No I dont have cable.

and to top it all they cut into the concrete foundation of the my house to route the cable up my wall.

I think they call it, trespass, permanent trespass, criminal damage etc etc.

… breath….

I think side from putting a spade through it, all I can do is send a recorded legal letter giving 14 day to remove it or I will !

Call made but all I get is someone will call you back, we will send you a claim form !

I really cant believe they actual did it. ruined my weekend.

anyways, thanks for listening
    Hedge

sharkbait
    Free Member

Not your problem………Spade/cable interface. Do you like your neighbours?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Well for starters, I’d get round to that spot of gardening I’ve been meaning to do for ages and ‘accidentally’ shove a spade right through it

EDIT: Doh!!!! Too late!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Actually I can see free lifetime Virgin cable in your future.

higgo
    Free Member

The better man would not put a spade through it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

That is truely unbelievable

richmars

Go here:

Garden law

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What higgo says – no point in escalating.

And let your neighbours know what you’re doing. You never know, they may well have said “Yeah, Hedgehog’s fine with us taking the cable through the garden”.

Hedgehog
    Free Member

lifetime cable would be nice. lol.

no I don’t like the neighbour, she was there when it was installed but did say anything. All I good was tears and the wife got me to back of.

Much as Id like to spade it (and almost did) I want it out, all that will happen is the will turn up trespass and fix it while im not in.

muppets ! they really are !

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member
    deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh, and, another thing…

Find where virgin (and their chief executive) exist on social media…Twitter, Facebook etc and blast them (though with Virgin, you may find there are a lot of people doing this already…legendarily bad customer service).

Three_Fish
    Free Member

My guess would be that it’s cheaper/easier/quicker to just dig where they like and pay compensation if they’re collared for it, rather than go through the ‘trouble’ of consulting property owners and applying for permission.

Hedgehog
    Free Member

Yup, was reading the same thread on cable forum.

no idea if she ‘approved’ the route, but even if she did, shes legally wrong. Good job the wifes calm, cus im so so miffed…

…. she took the spade of me ! actually glad she did.

Hedgehog
    Free Member

I agree Three Fish… prob save them time/money overall.

wwaswas

some good advice on the last post on that cable forum thread. First thing is to write to Virgin media and tell them you didn’t give permission and you want them to remove the cable and make good.

Personally, I woudln’t be giving a company permission, in perpituity, to come on my land and dig it up whenevr they want and I’d be reluctant to buy somewhere where such a permission existed.

xiphon
    Free Member

That’s crazy! Leave it intact for the moment – but write a letter, including detailed photographs (and perhaps a plan view diagram of your land vs. neighbours land to clarify for them). Don’t shoot yourself in the foot by physically damaging their property (underneath your land).

Demand all services be removed from your property – within a time limit (10 working days or something?) – and the garden must be returned to the previous state.

Good luck…

GrahamS

No I dont have cable.

Then I’d go the opposite route – demand they hook you up with cable and a free sub. 🙂

Hedgehog
    Free Member

yup wwaswas, have on the first phone call to report it.

The missus asked if the call is being recorded, and put on record that we instist on removal and this must be advised advance where permission to access the property will only be given while me/wife are present. Also any costs due to time away from work etc such may be billed to them later. just to make sure they turn up !

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Any photos of the damage?

Tracker1972
    Free Member

In my experience (past not present) working for one of the cable companies that turned into Virgin, it will be the lads fault who came out. The installers should make sure any route is acceptable to the customer (they don’t always bother) and is actually allowable, ie sticks to the customers property, or they have a wayleave agreement with neighbours/council/whoever to cover it.
    The lads don’t sort out wayleave and the like, call a supervisor and blow the job off for the day for an early finish would usually be preferred, unless they were contractors and would therefore not get paid for the job.
    Am assuming your property is privately owned? If it was a bought council house and the lads working the estate have got used to already having wayleave from the council it could have been an honest mistake, but I didn’t come across too many of them in 12 years of working there.

poly
    Free Member

Just before you get too upset, are you sure there is no right enshrined in your title deeds / restricted covenants for the property. I know that my deeds allow access to the utility companies to fix problems with stuff that is already under the ground (and it is quite clear this is not just to rectify problems affecting my own property). I’d need to read them in detail to see if there is any right for a “new” utility to install services beneath my property. They do have to make good any damage.

Hedgehog
    Free Member

no right of access for utility other than the installed, eg leccy, water etc, stuff already there.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

There can be a covenant which allows for future access of utilities. Although in the case of cable tv that must be extremely unlikely, unless its a newish property and some strange covenant has been included.

ebygomm
    Free Member

It doesn’t surprise me. When they came out to connect our cable they found there was a break between the road and the house so they just took a cable across from next doors box.

No harm done in my case, since next door was empty and they came and mended our cable a week later but they did it without knowing nobody lived next door

Tracker1972
    Free Member

ebygomm-don’t know if they did check, but they can tell if it has been disconnected in the cabinet they work from or by calling into the office, actually more reliable than asking the customer. If they came back to do it properly I would suspect they did it properly rather than just bodging it for an easy life.

epicyclo

They didn’t ask permission to put it in, so why should you ask permission to remove it.

I would remove it and bill them for it.

ourmaninthenorth

They didn’t ask permission to put it in, so why should you ask permission to remove it.

In law, as in the playground, two wrongs don’t make a right.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I’m sure they can check from the cabinet whether the cable is in use, they can’t check whether the neighbour is happy to have cabling for someone else nailed across the front of their property.

ski
    Free Member

Wow we are slacking here a bit today , how many post and no one has yet asked if she is fit or not yet?

😉

Hedgehog
    Free Member

I so would like to ‘remove’ it, but no idea what itll kick up.

still at the trying to speak to someone stage.. 2 calls now.. both just putting info on there system to be passed to the ‘responsible person’.

…. and they say the are sending a from to fill out ! pmsl.. what form ! what to fill out to have it removed… show me the one I filled out giving you permission !

Dobbo

That would stand if removing something that you have a right to remove was wrong.

Pull it up stick it through here letterbox and tell her to connect it where the sun don’t shine.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’d write to them and send recorded stating what I want from them (removal, reinstatement, reasonable costs, etc) with the time they have to do it. I’m pretty sure I’d tell them to roll their form up and insert it somewhere

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

and they say the are sending a from to fill out ! pmsl.. what form ! what to fill out to have it removed… show me the one I filled out giving you permission

😆

clubber
    Free Member

I’d phone up and tell them you’ll be planting a tree tomorrow so they need to remove now or you’ll be cutting it out since they’ve done it illegally. I’d be pretty sure you’d be well within your rights on that and more to the point, you’ll probably get put through to someone who has the authority to do something about it which will lead to a quicker resolution.

Dobbo

I’d blame Richard Branson personally, I never like the beardy little ****.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’m fairly sure that removing a cable from your property is not a wrong. The first time you may notice is when you spade through it, personally from that point on I’d just pull it up and find out where it went. When it left my property I’d coil it nicely and leave it there.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Wonder what would happen if you spliced a mains cable to it?

*Do not try this!!!!!!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I’m fairly sure that removing a cable from your property is not a wrong. The first time you may notice is when you spade through it, personally from that point on I’d just pull it up and find out where it went. When it left my property I’d coil it nicely and leave it there

But they know he knows about it so it could be construed as deliberate criminal damage I would have thought.

coffeeking
    Free Member

But they know he knows about it so it could be construed as deliberate criminal damage I would have thought.

Fair point. Though he could claim he spaded it then called them, but it is all getting a bit complex 😀

Dobbo

So if someone puts something on you land when your out without you permission you can’t touch it? [Edit] If that’s right I’m gonna build a shed on next doors lawn, mines a bit full.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘Garden Dug Up and Cable installed on my property without permission’ is closed to new replies.