• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Merak.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Garagetrackworld – show me your home-made workbench
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Just moved house and have a new garage to play with. Its a “wide” single garage, with about 4′ either side of the main door. Its a got a normal door and window on one side, and I want to build a bench under the window. I’ve got about 6′ or so length to use to avoid clashing with the ladder/stair to the loft-space above.

Needs to be sturdy enough to cope with a good size vice, and to support my Axminster mini-milling machine.

So, what have you built?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I know. I’m lazy.

simon_g

Haven’t got round to it yet, but I’m planning to build a couple of fold-down ones like these: http://www.12-gaugegarage.com/blog-11/index.html

ir_bandito
    Free Member

fold-down benches look neat, I need a fixed one first though.

Mr_C
    Free Member

I built a workbench about twenty years ago using the techniques in these plans: rock-solid-plywood-bench. I used 3 layers of 4×1 pine to create the frame rather than plywood and used a solid core fire door for the benchtop. It’s still rock solid despite having taken a lot of punishment.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I went to B&Q and bought a kitchen work top for £30 and then fitted it to the wall with a few 4×2 battens and two supports under the front.
    My work top is 2.5m wide across the end of my garage.

Will hold a vice and most other stuff.

Certainly sufficient for my cycle tinkering.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Cheap tool chest , Fence posts, 18mm ply and recyCled laminate flooring and decking.

Vice’ check , bench grinder , heavier than hell pillar drill , workbench doesnt care

pjt201
    Free Member

six foot long you say? I’d be looking at a solid core flush door as the workstop. Possibly a fire door – will be stronger and way cheaper than the equivalent worktop.

richmtb

My effort

Fence post for legs, 40 x 100mm pressure treated wood for the frame 38mm CLS timber for the bench top.

I’ve also fitted a small vice.

The whole thing is probably 5 times stronger than it needs to be but that means I wont break it!

daftvader
    Free Member

a bit of a mess as ive been working today…. i have a bench on both sides of my garage, one is about 3 meters long the other about 2. The newer of the 2 (the bench on the left side) cost me around £25 to build
    [/url]IMG_2722 by daftvader77, on Flickr[/img]
    [/url]IMG_2721 by daftvader77, on Flickr[/img]

ourmaninthenorth

Click for more pics. It was built in my old house and was then moved (I had to dismantle it to get it out of the cellar) to my current house, where it lives in the garage.

Merak

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Garagetrackworld – show me your home-made workbench’ is closed to new replies.