Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Garage/man cave again
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Looking for inspiration. Usual thing, house has an attached garage. Garage door at one end, internal door at the other.

It has the boiler in there and will need to house the washing machine and tumble dryer. There’s also a soil stack on each of the long walls.

It will need to take several bikes, plus tools and kit, leave me with enough room to work on a bike via workstand, and I’d like a sink.

It’s all starting to sound a bit tight. Inspire me with your space saving cunning please.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I have a L shape of kitchen units from the door in to the house & along the the wall to the outer door ending where the toolbox’s start, this may give you an idea of the set up

[url=https://flic.kr/p/eD8nrb]Snap-on box[/url] by Martin Robbo, on Flickr

The three bikes hang above the units nearest the internal door & I have a shelving unit & things like the lawn mower opposite the long run of units, this has enough space to keep another bike ( you can just see it in that pic), or move the bike & use that space for the bike workstand which does make it a little tight but do-able.

HTH.

STATO
    Free Member

For starters you need to get the washer and dryer back into the kitchen, no doubt you’ll have space as no family needs more than one plate each so the rest of your cupboards will be full of tat you can just throw out or shove in the loft. That should give you enough space to hang at least 2 bikes so plenty of space to work in, or buy more bikes to fill. Happy to help.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I have found a pic of the bikes, but I have also realised that you probably have a standard hight roof so it won’t work if you have 🙁

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nMSrip]IMG_0592[/url] by Martin Robbo, on Flickr

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yeah, standard height roof and with the en suite above so no rafters space either. Washington machine and tumble dryer are non negotiable. There’s 6 bikes to cater for at the moment.

And I’ve been quoted £500 to move the boiler. It would still be in the garage, just somewhere else in the garage.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Recently sorted out my garage into this…..

windyg
    Free Member

I wish my workshop was that clear, I have to step over everything to get in the door

bigbloke
    Free Member

So did I. It was a garage where rubbish went to die 🙂

Vortexracing

[url=https://flic.kr/p/4x9c79]garage c[/url] by eastham_david, on Flickr

Onzadog
    Free Member

If only I had that much space.

CheesybeanZ

Our garage has internal and external side doors , boiler and staircase across the end with the internal boor , this end has a work surface with washing machine and one of the dog crates underneath . A 3ft Belfast sink with elec shower over it , another dog crate plus hanging and standing bikes on the longest side . The other side has external door , boiler with dog grooming table underneath – very useful work bench – then the actual work bench with tool box on . It does help that we blanked off the garage door – stud wall and double insulation, plasterboard . Plus a floating floor keeps it nice and toasty warm.
    The sink and shower are probably the best thing we did – apart from the dogs we wash off the worst mud n grit before washing goes in the machine . It’s a bit busy but it works .

phiiiiil

If only I had that little stuff!

Where’s all the pile of tyres, all the tools bought for one job and then left unused, all the wood and random building materials saved “because it’ll come in handy one day”, all the paint tins with hardly anything in them?

br
    Free Member

Old house.

First thing I did was move the rear door from the back wall to the side, so I could get a bench right across the rear wall.

Also what you can’t see, is the staircase on the left to the ‘attic’ which was tall enough to stand-up in. Plus freezer, fridge, w/m and tumble on the left.

Now replaced by a double-height 13 metre workshop 🙂

Vortexracing

Where’s all the pile of tyres, all the tools bought for one job and then left unused, all the wood and random building materials saved “because it’ll come in handy one day”, all the paint tins with hardly anything in them?

in the attic space above the garage

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Put the drier above the washer, either on a shelf or set I to some recycled kitchen units. Instantly freeing up floor space.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’d thought about stacking w/m & t/d but wondering if that would limit elbow room at the sink (if I can fit one in).

Gary_M
    Free Member

and I’d like a sink

Out of interest why do you want a sink in your garage? I’ve never ever though ‘I wish I had a sink in here’.

cokie

Taken a month or so ago. There’s a few different bikes in there now and a turbo.
    I’ve also put up a shelf and pole for riding kit- shoes, bag, gloves & jacket

rone

Out of interest why do you want a sink in your garage? I’ve never ever though ‘I wish I had a sink in here’.

I can’t speak for Onza – but a sink whilst not essential means you can clean your hands when working on stuff (sounds silly but do you want to get grease on everything?), somewhere you can put tyres when messing with sealent (I’m not saying drip sealent down the plug-hole of course.) Somewhere to fill your camel back up without going in the house etc. Somewhere you can handwash things, let stuff drip dry etc.

My whole aim was to keep all muck; bike and person in the Garage – mud never sees the house – shower, washer+dryer, toilet and sink all form part of that.

And as a bonus, somewhere to wash the dog and vegetables, again without entering the house.

Gary_M
    Free Member

a sink whilst not essential means you can clean your hands when working on stuff

I just use wipes for that and the utility room for the other stuff.

weeksy

I use wipes and a pair of latex gloves.

ransos
    Free Member

And as a bonus, somewhere to wash the dog and vegetables, again without entering the house.

Is that a euphemism?

br
    Free Member

Somewhere to fill your camel back up without going in the house etc

Only if it’s off the main cold water mains inlet.

rone

Is that a euphemism

Brilliant. As I reread that the dog and veg will never be the same again.

Point is I have a sink with mains cold water + water heater, it’s very handy and was part of the full utiltiy set-up within my garage. The space is shared with shower, toilet etc. I use it everyday.

Park bike, clothes in washer and jump in shower, all in one area. Riding lots in muddy weather is a deal breaker for me – having the facilities that make it easy and save time is key.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The wife has some fancy ceramic sink in the kitchen so we need somewhere else for washing the stuff you wouldn’t want in a posh sink. As the boiler is in the garage as well as two soil stacks, water in and water out really shouldn’t be difficult.

scaled
    Free Member

Sink in the garage = homebrew

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Garage/man cave again’ is closed to new replies.