• This topic has 42 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Garage security. Ground anchor? etc etc
  • finners

Looking to secure the bikes in the garage. What’s the best option for bolting to garage floor?
    Cheers.

postierich
    Free Member

If possible bolt to the wall less leverage for the deckers with the bolt cutters!

flatfish
    Free Member

What rich said.

Murray

Unless your bricks have the strength of cheese (as mine do).

finners

Any preference as to what equipment to use? Or indeed to avoid?

mjsmke

I installed one of these:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/squire/bpga-hi-security-bridge-ground-anchor-ec033588?country=GB&currency=GBP

It required a 16mm drill bit which was tough going into a concrete floor but feels very secure.

philfive
    Free Member

This is my creation, shed sits on a concrete base, massive ground anchor created from industrial pipe., cage has 4 closed shackle locks in total.

JohnnyPanic

Rack on the wall, bolt your anchor to the wall at shoulder height using more than one brick to bolt into.

Bolts around the garage door.
    Cage across the window.
    PIR sensors / CCTV
    Internal (as well as external) sounder for the alarm
    Baby Monitor

They will still get in if they want to but make it hard, uncomfortable and time consuming and maybe they’ll go elsewhere.

honourablegeorge

Massive chain locking them all to the water pump.

IF the water’s not working when I get up, I know there’s trouble.

hora
    Free Member

Insurance or not. I dont want to leave even five pounds in either my wooden shed or brick-shed.

One day high end bikes will no longer be realistically insurable due to middle-class relative lackadaisical thinking. We know the risk is real.

WHY take that risk?

Makes me unpopular but one day it’ll be true.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Makes me unpopular but one day it’ll be true

Oh, here he is. David Icke of bike security.

br
    Free Member

Decent ground anchor into the concrete base (avoid the wall, bricks are easily broken) and a couple of hours with a cheap SDS.

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/55875

and

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Power+Tools/Corded+Drills/Silverline+5kg+SDS+Hammer+Drill+230V/d40/sd2670/p17425

thegeneralist
    Free Member

If possible bolt to the wall

Seriously, SERIOUSLY

OP, I thinks it’s clear that PostieRich and Flatfish are planning to come round and steal your bikes.

Can I suggest asking someone who knows: http://securityforbikes.com/torc-ground-anchor.php

postierich
    Free Member

You should always be very careful to choose a good position for your Torc Ground Anchor. An ideal site will:

Be accessible to you while locking up your valuables, but difficult to access for the thief. You could place the ground anchor on the floor near a wall, or on a wall, and then chain your motorcycle in front of it. This makes it difficult for a thief to attack the ground anchor/chain/lock.

😆

Anyway if the can not cut the lock they will just chop your frames so just make it as difficult as possible
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/jsFcTB]20140124_120206[1][/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

oreetmon
    Free Member

baby monitor idea is genius mate.

moved into new house last year andbeen forced off mrs mon to keep bikes in the garage. i have recently made a ground anchor out of a 2m length of 4 inch steel box section, splayed the end with a grinder and a lump hammer cut a section of concrete garage floor out, buried splayed end deep and back filled with concrete also cut 2sets of holes in it ( one set above the other) so as i can chain 2 bikes to it (one on the rack and one underneath on the floor) ,,,,,,,,all the thief has to do now is cut the frames in half and hes got all the components he needs 🙁

positive note, they are insured for far more than they are worth 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve been wondering whether I’m best off putting my ground anchor nearer the front of the bike pile so the thief sees it and decides to go elsewhere or at the back so it’s harder to attack? Pragmasis stuff is very good btw. They recommend running the chain through the front and rear triangle, wheels and fork, which makes it almost impossible to remove without wrecking most of the value of the bike.

I know it’s easy to chop through alloy or carbon frames but I wonder how much harder to cut 853, cromo and BMX gas pipe are? Alloy bikes are outnumbered here!

flatfish
    Free Member

thegeneralist – Member
    If possible bolt to the wall
    Seriously, SERIOUSLY

OP, I thinks it’s clear that PostieRich and Flatfish are planning to come round and steal your bikes.

Can I suggest asking someone who knows: http://securityforbikes.com/torc-ground-anchor.php

What makes you think I don’t know what I’m talking about?

MartynS

Bikes chained to master lock ground anchors with big master lock chains securing them.

To be fair they never got the frames, just stripped everything off them…

I like philfives’ idea. From my experience ground anchors just stop them walking off with everything. If the bikes had to go outside I’d be looking at a heavy duty metal cage with multiple locks and the building alarmed.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

What makes you think I don’t know what I’m talking about?

The fact that you suggest attaching the ground anchor to a brick wall. A brick wall is much easier to attack than a decent concrete floor.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

+1 for torq ground anchors and gold rated motorbike security chains – torq can sell you both. Mine are locked to the brick wall, they can do you different anchors for brick or concrete.

I investigated it for a while and these were best option. I then talked it over with them and got lock u like as its no good if its a faff to lock as you’ll get to the point where you dont bother, it has to be something easy to do.

hora
    Free Member

postierich I could saw through your frames in <5mins.

I’d probably have to bin the recognisable frames anyway and sell the kit on pinkbike.

Of course not ‘me’ but others.

njee20
    Free Member

Insurance or not. I dont want to leave even five pounds in either my wooden shed or brick-shed on my drive.

One day high end bikes cars will no longer be realistically insurable due to middle-class relative lackadaisical thinking. We know the risk is real.

WHY take that risk?

Hora, you’re unpopular because you’re an irritating, billious little toad. There are many sub-reasons, but that’s the crux of it.

hora
    Free Member

You are a snivelling little shitehawk who tried to be a bighitter and even failed at that 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Did I? Missed that.

flatfish
    Free Member

The fact that you suggest attaching the ground anchor to a brick wall. A brick wall is much easier to attack than a decent concrete floor.

Righto 🙄

scruff
    Free Member

I got a Kryponite New Yuyk chain and Kryponite ground anchor which came with the correct drill bit, bolted it to the floor then you whack ball bearing things into the fixings so they cant be drilled out.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Righto

Sorry, got carried away there.
    It clearly depends on the quality of the brick wall and the concrete floor. But a decent concrete floor beats a decent brick wall any day of the week.

IMHO as a fat IT middle manager who has never stolen a bike in his life.

Northwind

My brother’s shed had a torc ground anchor on its wall, but in the wrong place- I was a wee bit surprised that it took 10 seconds to remove it, with a crowbar. Obviously not all brick walls are equal but this one looked/felt solid enough. NOT the fault of the anchor, it’s great kit.

Re floors vs walls, it’s a bit of a myth imo, as long as you can get the cropper handles on the floor you can generate all the leverage you want. If you can get the chain really high then it’s worthwhile but if the bikes are on the ground it’s not likely to make any difference.

I am definitely not a bike thief though 😉 But Almax (hallowed by thy name) used to tour the motorbike shows with a bunch of chains and a bunch of locks and say “Help yourself” and testing the ideas was pretty eyeopening (also testing a £100 Sold Secure, Thatcham lock and breaking it faster than you could open the padlock with the key) They had to stop all that after lock sellers complained though…

large418
    Free Member

In addition to Ground anchors and chains, think about an alarm with extra sounders. I used to have my car alarm inside the car on The grounds that people ignore them, and if I could make a scumbags ears bleed it isn’t a bad thing. How about 4 sounders, with one down by the bikes. You’d need to be a deaf burglar to stay in the garage for any length of time.

cookeaa

@ philfive, looking at that creation, would they not simply have to chop through the unistrut?

never mind bolt croppers they could do that with some decent tin snips…

philfive
    Free Member

Cookeaa, no it’s hardened steel it was a right pain to cut. They can have a go at it it it will take a while to get through everything and my alarm will be going off.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

They had to stop all that after lock sellers complained though

Yup, I heard that too. Really pissed me off. It’s really bad that lock sellers are allowed to peddle all this nonsense about their products being Gold Silver Bronze etc and will withstand theives for x minutes AS LONG AT THE THIEVES AREN’T USING THE THIEVE’S TOOL OF CHOICE.

It’s misleading garbage. I tried to start a thread a while back to gather together real people’s experience of locks so that we could get a really useful set of data together on what works and what doesn’t. We could then make informed decisions on what locks to buy, rather than relying on the Master LockSmiths Association, Sold Secure or some other advertising body.

I have this utter faith in Pragmasys products, mainly based on what Steve says. Others have faith in Almax products, due to what they read etc.
    Which is great until you realise that loads of people have [misplaced] faith in tat produced by Abus etc al. Again based on the advertising and lack of information on just how easy they are to break.

For all we know, Pragmasys and Almax may also be pretty useless but until people start sharing detail on thefts and attempted thefts and what succeeeded and failed, we’re all working partly in the dark.

Northwind

thegeneralist – Member

Yup, I heard that too. Really pissed me off. It’s really bad that lock sellers are allowed to peddle all this nonsense about their products being Gold Silver Bronze etc and will withstand theives for x minutes AS LONG AT THE THIEVES AREN’T USING THE THIEVE’S TOOL OF CHOICE.

The analogy I like… It’s like saying “Most houses are broken into by someone chucking a brick through the window. Therefore to test this door lock, we threw a brick at it for 3 minutes, and it didn’t open. Sold secure gold! What do you mean, how does it stand up to lockpick or bumping? We don’t know, we just do bricks”

Russell96

Blank shotgun cartridges on tripwires, Google them there’s a few about, when they go off they make my ears bleed from the house, so god knows what they are like in an enclosed space.

JoeG
    Free Member

Russell96 – Member

Blank shotgun cartridges on tripwires

I posted this in another thread a couple of days ago. 😉

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afwsJG_dvwc&feature=player_embedded[/video]

finners

Other than hasps and door defenders, any other ideas for garage door security?

cruzcampo
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Insurance or not. I dont want to leave even five pounds in either my wooden shed or brick-shed.

One day high end bikes will no longer be realistically insurable due to middle-class relative lackadaisical thinking. We know the risk is real.

WHY take that risk?

Explain this to me, for those with bikes in the house, are they as often seen simply leaning against a wall in spare room/cellar (perhaps looking sexy in living room 😆 ) houses arn’t that difficult to break into and then its simply a case of wheeling it out.

Or are people actually ground anchoring in their house to a …… floorboard? 😯

sgn23
    Free Member

I’m thinking about making a cheap alarm using IKEA personal alarms spread across the inside of the shed and activated by fishing line attached to the door. For £3.50 they are bloody loud so you wouldn’t want to stay in the shed with them going off. And having a few of them makes it harder to find them to disable. You’d have to be a ballsy thief to carry on with all that noise.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I assume most of us who store inside have a space we use – I have an internal “shed” under the stairs and into the kitchen that takes 6 bikes [ 2 are kids bikes though]. I dont put the ground anchors on the floorboard but thankfully my house is made of brick so there are other options.

Yes houses get broken into but it is generally harder /less common than a garage or shed break in.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Yes houses get broken into but it is generally harder /less common than a garage or shed break in

I have a vague idea that breaking into a house is classed as a more serious offence than breaking into a garage. That may be because the chance of bumping into someone and resorting to violence is higher.

Or it may just be that the thieves don’t do it because the chances of bumping into someone are higher.

Not sure which…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Garage security. Ground anchor? etc etc’ is closed to new replies.