Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Garage security
  • HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

A few houses near us have had their outbuildings broken into recently, including a bike theft from our neighbours garage, so I am looking at garage security.

Does anyone have any recommendations for:

1 – Ground/Wall anchor + chain to lock bikes up inside garage.
    2 – Alarm (anyone used the Yale one this https://www.screwfix.com/p/yale-hsa6200-wireless-alarm-kit/97114)
    3. Extra lock on garage door. They are barn style doors, one permanently bolted from the inside. The other has a latch type lock which isn’t too great (you could smash a window and undo it). Is there some kind of key operated sliding bolt one I could use?
    4. Cameras – are the cheaper ones (e.g. clever dog) worth it?? Will i just be seeing some unidentifiable “hoodie” nicking my stuff?

We did find our back gate open one morning last week, it would be good to be able to see who had opened it and what they were up to.

nickhit3
    Free Member

Pragmasis. UK based, pleasure to deal with. Great products.
    I use a ground anchor and chain of theirs.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Pragmasis. UK based, pleasure to deal with. Great products.
    I use a ground anchor and chain of theirs.

As above, or Almax. I use both chains and an almax pragmasis wall anchor and they’re excellent.

dirtyboy

All of the above, security needs to be multi layered, and big chains are great, but they tend to cut straight through your frames with a hacksaw.
    Secure any useful tool’s within your garage ie don’t leave hacksaws or croppers, grinders pry bar’s etc where they can be used against your property.

dirtyboy

I have zones on my cctv, and if anyone loiters for more than a few seconds around my vehicle or garage after 11pm till 7am it shouts at them, and tells them they are being filmed, enough to wake up the missus.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I have zones on my cctv, and if anyone loiters for more than a few seconds around my vehicle or garage after 11pm till 7am it shouts at them, and tells them they are being filmed, enough to wake up the missus.

Sounds great. What is it? How did you get it setup?

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve got a wifi webcam. Pings a message to my phone if there is any activity and records it. Not a huge amount of use if I’m away other than as evidence or if I want to watch my prize possessions go live but if I’m in the house I can send the mrs out.

dirtyboy

I use a second hand gaming PC, 120 quid off Gumtree and a hotchpotch of 5 different ip cameras some cheap, some not!

I use sighthound cctv software you can set up lots of filters and rules and have the PC running through an old amp and speakers in the garage, so I can use it for Spotify and Amazon movies etc while on the turbo trainer.

And when it’s not being used for that it shouts at people, it used play the phoenix nights car alarm (Get back you b@stard I’ll break your legs!) but changed after a while.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Almax chains and ground anchors, a multitude of cheaper chains, cable locks on the little used bikes/hanger queens and a blank firing shotgun cartridge trip wire alarm.

hot_fiat

^^what ming says^^
    I set my motorbike ground anchor into 60kg of concrete, which in turn is anchored by a web of rebar into the foundations. You then need to make it as awkward as possible to get at the chain & lock.

Don’t forget that the weak link is the bike frame itself so I lock the wheels and forks with a separate chain to the main one.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

” the phoenix nights car alarm ” 😛 😛

daern
    Free Member

All of the above, security needs to be multi layered, and big chains are great, but they tend to cut straight through your frames with a hacksaw.

Be really careful with absolute statements like this, which are patently not accurate. I’ve known several people with good security on their bikes get broken into and the tea-leaves left empty handed as it wasn’t worth the risk of getting caught to try to steal the bikes. I’m pretty sure most wouldn’t be interested in chopping a bike up to steal it, knowing that it will take longer to do and will reduce the value of their trophy by 90%.

Yes, I’m sure sometimes these things happen, but making statements like this might make people think “what’s the point?” and not bother doing anything. Honestly, if you make it as hard as possible (and yes, layered security is a great suggestion) and increase their chances of being caught in the act, it’s almost certain that they’ll bugger off and go somewhere else. It’s all about making yourself less appealing than your neighbours, cruel though it might sound.

I’m not going to detail my own here, but suffice to say that I have multiple different elements to my home security and sleep pretty well at night because of it.

DT78
    Free Member

Cameras – are the cheaper ones (e.g. clever dog) worth it?? Will i just be seeing some unidentifiable “hoodie” nicking my stuff?

I have a clever dog, good whilst it worked, then they buggered up the app and so far I’ve not reinstalled it. An IP camera / baby monitor is useful so if your alarm goes off you can have a look in your outbuilding without running down there in your pants, and know whether to call the police or it is in fact just a massive spider walking across the sensor.

I have a decent cctv system up. Its a bloody nightmare at the moment as every night they have spiders webs all over them triggering the motion detection.

The clever dog ones are a bit obvious so you need to work out how to conceal it

hedley
    Free Member

I have a decent cctv system up. Its a bloody nightmare at the moment as every night they have spiders webs all over them triggering the motion detection.

Same here. I’ve also got a Blue tit that seems to think CCTV selfies are funny.

dirtyboy

I’ve turned off the individual IR lamps on the main cameras and im using an invisible IR flood light for main areas,keeps the spiders down.

Good point about the what’s the point of chains, but I’m only speaking from an experience of a dh racer mate who was targeted twice to the tune of 20k, his response was physical security new beefed up garage door and chains and locks.

I chemically bonded an anchor into his garage floor and he used a pragmasis chain,on the 2nd theft they were still there the bike’s however weren’t,just some filings

alexpalacefan

I’ve got a Yale wireless alarm. Seems good enough, and way easier to install than a wired system.
    I have the siren inside the building. I figure nobody will come and check if they hear it going off, so might as well make it as loud as possible for any scrote that’s in there.
    Then as above, BFO lock on the good bikes, lesser lock on the cheaper bikes and one sacrificial bike unlocked.

APF

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Garage security’ is closed to new replies.