Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Garage mechanics
  • Townfox
    Free Member

So the car needed its MOT so booked it in for its test.

Garage called me to say it needed the front brake pads renewing so i told them to go ahead.

Got the car back and when i’m now on the brakes they are really squeeky and make that anoying screeching noise.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal for new brakes to be doing this and they just need wearing in so to speak or do i need to be going bck to the garage..??

Any help or advice would be great

cheers folks

khani
    Free Member

Sounds like they forgot to put some copperslip on the back of the pads, or left the anti squeal shims off when fitting the pads, if it persists take it back

cp

yep, they often do when new and it can die down… however, it can also not die down. Behind the brake pads there are usually a couple of shims and if these haven’t been greased properly you can get scream-o-rama…

robdob
    Free Member

Might just need bedding in.
    Possibly they haven’t put any coppergrease on the back of the pads. I think some pads have anti squeal shims with them so if they miss them out that might make a noise. Different compounds of pads might cause the squeal too.
    Phone garage and let them know they are making a noise, then if they don’t stop making it as they bed in you have let them know about the problem early which may help discussions.

Oh and next time check them yourself before you MOT it, then change them yourself, it’s just as easy as MTB brakes!

mc
    Free Member

Not entirely normal, but give it a few days and see if things improve.

thekingofsweden

(Oh and next time check them yourself before you MOT it, then change them yourself, it’s just as easy as MTB brakes!)

Great idea lets have as many people who dont know what there doing fitting there own brakes !!!!!!!!!

As for the squeaking any garage worth its salt won’t hesitate in rechecking them for you just drop it back ,you have paid to have it done profesionaly

If you did them yourself you would have to sort the squeaking out yourself

Trekster

proper garage or fast fit centre?
    Been know to fit pads wrong way round hence squealing = metal to metal 🙄

Could be they did not clean off the corrosion around the outside of the disc, tends to build up preventing new pads aligning with disc properly

could be a sticking piston

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

it’s just as easy as MTB brakes!

No it’s not.

On pre 70’s cars maybe, after that theres often a switch in the rear brakes that warns if one or the other is leaking, so you need ot know how to ballance those and keept he warnign light out.

Loads of new cars have complicated ABS systems or electronic handbrakes, a friend works in a garrage and the apprentice didn’t follow the VAG instructions to the letter and landed him with a £1500 bill from VW to reset the ABS/handbrake system!

Marko

“…after that theres often a switch in the rear brakes that warns if one or the other is leaking…”

Mmm… News to me. I’ve never seen that feature. Only real problem cars are VAG group ones with EPB (electric parking brake) fitted. Diagnostic tool or generic tool required to ‘park’ brake in service position to change pads. Also some Renaults require this I think.
    Hth
    Marko

Townfox
    Free Member

Aye someone else said it might be shims. It is a proper garage not some fast fit centre so i’ll pop it back in in the morn..

As for doing it myself, thats a no no. I’m not very mechanically minded so wouldn’t know where to start really..

Cheers for advice though

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Garage mechanics’ is closed to new replies.