Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Garage Heating
  • wheeliejim
    Free Member

I just can’t face going out to the garage to work on my bike in this weather. Any suggestions on what kind of heater would work well out there – electric fan heater, parafin, gas…?

Or should I just MTFU? 😉

matt_outandabout

extra coat?

goog
    Free Member

take the bike in the house …. NEXT !

organic355
    Free Member

on a similar note, what can you use to insulate/draught prof your garage door? Mine has an inch gap at the top.

sorry for hijack, but interested in heating too!!

Neil-F
    Free Member

Make a wood burner, and chimney it out the garage.
    I have one for the garden, made from an old calor gas bottle.
    http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36096

MrOvershoot

Fan heater is my solution as you feel the heat almost immediately and you can hold your hands in the hot air stream if they get really cold.

mandog

I extended the central heating circuit to the bike shed 20m down the end of the garden. Pipework and shed all insulated. Nice and cosy. I’d recommend the same for a garage.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

i built my own house a couple of years ago and as building regs requires integral garages be insulated on three sides and in the ceiling i decided to insulate the door too (20mm celotex) and have a radiator in there running on the central heating. it’s governed by the house stat so only on if heating is required in the house but last year when it was -5c outside my garage was 17c… toasty.

project
    Free Member

If its a wooden garage insulate betwen the frames with recyled insulation made from pop bottles then clad with cheap shuttering ply, makes the garage mpore secure as well fill any gaps around the roof with expanding foam,have a large old duvet to cover tyhe door as in a curtain, curtain on the windows as well, then insulate the roof as above.

For heat a fan heater, on a thermostat.

JohnnyPanic

I’ve got a 2Kw fan heater and in the recent cold weather it would take a long time to bring the garage up to 10 degrees. If you can stay in the flow it’s not too bad. So I’m thinking either 3Kwh fan heater or one of those halogen radiant heaters.

coastkid
    Free Member

big hot stove 😀

wheeliejim
    Free Member

Yes I wondered about insulating the top and bottom of the door. Some kind of rubber flap would do. I’m sure something must exist.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

wheeliejim there sure is depends what make of door you have.

like this a weather strip but cuts the drafts out

http://www.garador.biz/shop/catalog/search?shop_param=

Mikeypies
    Free Member

If you have a wooden shed I would be very cautious of how you insulate it as if you trap moisture or create a cold spot (which will attract moisture) you will have problems with rot in the long run.

Block the big drafts around the door and MTFU 🙂

Plenty of people manage to work outside in all weathers all year round so being in a garage should be problem

tip 1 do not stand on concrete try cardboard if on a budget or a thick rubber mat or spend out on some insulated boots.
    tip2 wear a hat
    tip3 thermals and a pair of overalls as well as normal clothes
    tip4 a fan heater blowing at hand height not to warm the garage but for keep your hands warm (vinal gloves are great)

A friend works in a garage which has the roller door open all the time when they are open which during december was a tad cold but with gloves boots thermals hes claims its ok

Mikeypies
    Free Member

If you have a wooden shed I would be very cautious of how you insulate it as if you trap moisture or create a cold spot (which will attract moisture) you will have problems with rot in the long run.

Block the big drafts around the door and MTFU 🙂

Plenty of people manage to work outside in all weathers all year round so being in a garage should be problem

tip 1 do not stand on concrete try cardboard if on a budget or a thick rubber mat or spend out on some insulated boots.
    tip2 wear a hat
    tip3 thermals and a pair of overalls as well as normal clothes
    tip4 a fan heater blowing at hand height not to warm the garage but for keep your hands warm (vinal gloves are great)

A friend works in a garage which has the roller door open all the time when they are open which during december was a tad cold but with gloves boots thermals hes claims its ok

mtbmatt
    Free Member

One of those old style gas bottled heaters are great.
    Chuck out loads of heat and the gas seems to last ages. I think a replacement is about £30 or so if/when it needs changing.

wheeliejim
    Free Member

Love the wood burner pic 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Garage Heating’ is closed to new replies.