Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Garage flooring tiles
  • curiousyellow
    Free Member

Thinking about getting something like this for garage flooring:

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/garage-essentials/rolson-6-piece-floor-mat-set-120-x-180cm

It’ll be used to temporarily put weights on and stuff. It looks like foam. Any experience of what this wears like, and if there are any better alternatives? I’ve seen the foam stuff before and it looks like it just soaks up the dust and dirt. Either that, or it needs regular cleaning!

Tracey

We have it at the back of the garage where we store the bikes. Wears very well but we cut it to make a good fit so it can’t move around.

Originally bought it to put between the bikes in the camper garage but had some proper bike shrouds made last year so the tiles replaced old industrial carpet that had been in years.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

its good stuff but does seem to grow, nothing that a couple of minutes with a Stanley knife cannot deal with. Easier to work with than I was expecting

scotroutes

I got some tiles like that out of Aldi 6-7 years ago. They’re perfect for a garage/shed floor. Just brush it off when it’s dusty.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@Gee-Jay by grow, do you mean it deforms and spreads out? It shouldn’t have anything heavy on it for extended periods of time.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I did my whole garage in it. £50 off amazon for enough for the garage. Ace stuff. Warm, clean, easy to keep clean and fit etc.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@DaveyBoyWonder do you have a link to the product? I think I have about 20 square metres to cover. Halfords works out to about £17 for 4.32 square metres!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

This is them.

Interlocking Gym Garage Anti Fatigue Flooring Play Mats 128sqft D- Easimat Brand https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003ELNOAK/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_IFBTybX31Z3P2

Did my single garage front to back with a bit off one side where I have a run of units.

ajantom

Don’t by the Rolson ones – a proper rip off at £10 for 6!

I bought mine from ebay, worked out about half the price.

They clean up very well & aren’t absorbent….as proved by me spilling a load of fork oil on them last night which wiped away with paper towels and left no marks at all.

CaptainSlow

Op when you say put weights on, do you mean a home gym setup?

If so, yo may want something thicker with more boing like stable matting. That’s what I’ve got mine on and it’s pretty forgiving of the odd drop and quiet.

spooky_b329

I had them a while back across the entire floor of the garage. They are good, warm and easy to clean.

They float when the garage floods too!

Only really issue with them is they pucker up when you try and move roll cabs and other heavy wheeled items around.

I did a swap for some really posh stable matting, tiles went in the tack room at the yard.

Then she nicked the stable matting back so it’s back to concrete 🙁

When then moved yards and the matting has done a really good job recycled as floor insulation on my camper with a floating ply floor over the top. Has cut out a huge amount of engine, road and diff noise.

jonba
    Free Member

Timely. I was looking at doing this and then painting the walls with some old paint I have.

The EVA mats come up with mixed reviews. Some say they are fine and others say they got damaged really easily. How tough are they for somewhere I use the turbo, store and work on bikes? I want something to insulate the bare concrete floor and keep the dust down.

There are rubber sheets available as well. Garage is 3.5x3m so I could get a few rolls of that but I wasn’t sure how I’d join them.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I was looking at painting or epoxy on the floor. Painting seemed a load of faff and would still be cold. Epoxy was ludicrous expensive. A mate over the road has yhe tiles I got. Has a big weight bench on it, bikes, shelving etc. For the sake of £50 it was worth a go and I’ve got zero regrets. Great stuff.

Sundayjumper

I was looking at doing this and then painting the walls with some old paint I have.

Paint the walls first…

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

They don’t grow much, its just when weight is on them they seem to spread a bit, a few mm is all but if you have initially trimmed them to the edge they do start to ruck up a little – nothing that re-trimming will not deal with or gluing down in the first place which I didn’t do

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@ajantom you have a link? Halfords are doing them at 15% off and I can get them right now, so I don’t mind getting enough to just get the coverage for now. Wouldn’t mind seeing if I can get some more for half that price to be honest. Means I could do the rest of the garage for not a lot.

@CaptainSlow Yes. Home gym setup. I got some rubber flooring which is not unlike horse stall matting. I got 2.23 square metres for £44. The Halfords tiles work out to £17 for 2.16 square metres if my maths is correct. So a lot cheaper. If you know where I can get horse stall matting for cheaper then let me know. I looked into it, but people complained about the smell and so on so I stopped. I do agree it is a better alternative for wear though. The current plan is to use the rubber mat to put the rack in and the tiles for the sides. The tiles won’t have to take much weight. Just the occasional weight on the floor while I rack/rerack.

Floor is painted already.

I’d be wary of sourcing the tiles from multiple sources too. Sounds like some people have had a hard time making them fit.

ajantom

I’d be wary of sourcing the tiles from multiple sources too. Sounds like some people have had a hard time making them fit.

Pretty sure they all come out of the same far east factory – all the ones I’ve seen look identical.

I can’t remember which actual seller it was, but it was something like this:
    Interlocking Rubber Mats
    36 mats for £36. Obviously cheaper the more you buy. Just trawl through Ebay, and buy from the cheapest source.

Sundayjumper

I bought some very very cheap foam tiles for the shed / child’s play den and was caught out by their rather optimistic calculation of area. They measured the *total* width of the tile when of course, once they interlock, you lose 1x the depth of the tangs per tile. If that makes sense ? It means (for e.g.) 10 x 30cm tiles in a row do not make 3m, they make about 2.8m if the tabs are 2cm deep. It meant I didn’t have enough tiles and had to order another pack. Which had clearly come from a different batch and didn’t match 🙄

tom200

I’ve done the whole of the new shed in and they are great. So cheap that if one gets ruined you can just replace it. They are nice and warm underfoot, and great if you have to do any work kneeling down.

B&Q do them 2 packs for £18.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Garage flooring tiles’ is closed to new replies.