Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Garage damaged my van
  • flatfish
    Free Member

Van went in for a service today as well as new injectors and brake pads. Drove it in after I’d done the school run in it.
    Got a phone call at lunch time from the garage saying they took it for a test drive and the ladders fell off the roof into the road and dented the van where the top of the side panel meets the roof. I don’t know if the ladders are useable or not either.
    The ladder was secured with two ladder clamps over two roof bars.
    Who is liable for the damage?
    Me, because it’s my van and I loaded the ladders on OR them for not checking the load was safe before driving off?

ianfitz
    Free Member

Whoever put the ladders on there?

petrieboy

Might they have he to remove the ladders before getting it on the ramp?

flatfish
    Free Member

petrieboy – Member

POSTED 37 SECONDS AGO # REPORT-POST

Don’t think so.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Me, because it’s my van and I loaded the ladders on OR them for not checking the load was safe before driving off?

This sounds likely but

this is a very good point.

Speshpaul

Unsafe load? – the driver and his employer, if the police were involved.

Were the ladders locked on? Have they come off because some has tried to nick them when at the garage?

convert

Do you check them every time you move the vehicle?

Irrespective of the legal right or wrongs, If I could satisfy myself that no one had messed with them since I delivered it I think I would be blaming myself. Assuming your ladders don’t fall off every other week it would seem odd they would the one time the vehicle isn’t with you though.

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

If they haven’t touched the ladders and you where the last to secure them then I think it’s pretty poor for you to claim against/blame the garage . Maybe you should look at your procedure and improve it rather than pointing the finger at others . After all you haven’t employed them to check security of ladders .

If they have removed & refitted them and then they fell off it’s the garages problem , simple as .

Cougar

Whoever “secured” the load is liable. Can’t expect the garage to be double-checking your muppetry unrelated work.

Possibly the garage took them off because Reasons, but then, it seems highly improbable that they’d put them back on before giving it a test drive (or indeed, at all).

Cougar

Thinking about it,

It’s possible that they dented the roof when removing the ladders manually and then come up with a plausible excuse of “they just fell off, guv.”

I still think it’s your own fault for sending a van for a service with ladders strapped to the roof though. (-:

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I have before now drove out of a workshop with the roller doors not fully up and ripped off ladders/damaged the roof.
    Accidents happen, unsure you will ever get the truth.

Brainflex

The driver of a vehicle is responsible for ensuring any load is secure. However good luck with this one.

Tiger6791

Somebody is going to have to step up and take responsibility.

Did the garage take the correct steps before setting off?

project
    Free Member

a few months ago saw a van at tradepoint wioth ladders on the roof, and on the dash ws a large sign saying loose your ladders when driving , loose your job, unsecured ladders can kill.
    Why would you leave ladders on the roof, when not needed for a service on the van

Tiger6791

They are responsible BTW

Have you ‘rung’ them back?

breadcrumb

I always thought the driver is responsible for his load. Same with the vehicle- tyres, insurance, MoT, etc..

twinw4ll
    Free Member

The garage should have asked you to remove the ladders before working on it, they are insured for this kind of clownery, get a quote for damage repairs from a more professional outfit and send it to them.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Them as they drove it

It may well be bad luck and your ineptitude that caused it but it happened on their watch so their problem

As they are garage the cost of fixing is time rather than a lot of money so they should just sort it rather than tell you
    IMHO, having worked in a garage, they told you because they blame you and hope to get way with it

I doubt they can but I would offer to pay costs/parts if they fix it just to get it done quickly/hassle free

Cougar

they are insured for this kind of clownery

That’s a very good point actually.

Cougar

As they are garage the cost of fixing is time rather than a lot of money so they should just sort it rather than tell you

Garage ? bodyshop, no?

scaredypants

Have you ‘rung’ them back?

credit where it’s due

Junkyard
    Free Member

Garage ? bodyshop, no?

In my day we did it all

Granted my day was a long time ago but they will still be able to get a very good deal if they cannot fix it

Tiger6791

So what was the outcome?

hammyuk
    Free Member

In “Law” and the “Insurance world” – THEY are.
    Irrespective of who secured them they have a legal responsibility to ensure that any vehicle is fully roadworthy BEFORE taking it out. So that it lights, tyres, loads, etc.
    They will try it on BUT ultimately its down to them.
    Same as the Traffic Police who recently had an accident because they hadn’t ensured their brake lights were working before leaving the station……. fortunately only 20’ish mph but the older lady who rear ended them had no chance.
    She had a dashcam so it showed that there was no warning to her of them braking so not her fault.

irc

but the older lady who rear ended them had no chance.
    She had a dashcam so it showed that there was no warning to her of them braking

Other than the gap between the vehicles rapidly getting smaller.

CountZero

Other than the gap between the vehicles rapidly getting smaller.

So? They were driving a car that was clearly illegal, and should not have been on the road.
    And as regards the OP’s problem, he did say, in his OP:

Got a phone call at lunch time from the garage saying they took it for a test drive and the ladders fell off the roof into the road and dented the van where the top of the side panel meets the roof. I don’t know if the ladders are useable or not either.
    The ladder was secured with two ladder clamps over two roof bars.

Can’t actually see how it could be his problem, likely the garage did something really stupid and are trying to cover their asses.

irc

So? They were driving a car that was clearly illegal, and should not have been on the road.

Indeed. But unless the old lady was behind them as the braked as they left the police station everyone else had managed to avoid rear ending them before she didn’t. Just like there isn’t carnage when a bicycle brakes in front of a car.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I always remove all my property from my car when it goes in for a service

totalshell

no ones asked how the ladders are..

CheesybeanZ

no ones asked how the ladders are.

Thier taking it one step at a time .

br
    Free Member

Irrelevant of who’s at fault, is the dent ignorable?

If so, ignore it. Better things to occupy your time I’m sure.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Thier taking it one step at a time .

*applause

irc

Irrelevant of who’s at fault, is the dent ignorable?

If so, ignore it. Better things to occupy your time I’m sure.

Don’t start talking sense! A white van with a dent?

convert

A old lady driver with a dashcam – either Pistonheads’ most non typical forum poster or an accident waiting to happen whose grankids rigged her up to watch the carnage.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Garage damaged my van’ is closed to new replies.