Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Garage build costs, doable?
  • 29erKeith
    Free Member

11m long 3.5m width, gable ends in brick with a slate roof, electric roller main door, couple of windows and a side door (Could fit used stuff, I’ve seen good UPVC stuff at the tip before which I’me sure would clean up fine to save a bit). I’ve got a mate who I can work with on the ground works and foundations but would need to get a brick layer and roofer in.

Anybody any opinions on if that’s ball park do-able?

I’ll eventually add a couple of stud walls and internally insulate for a little home off in the end and kit storage room but I’m just wondering if it’s doable to get the shell up first for about £10k.

I know I’ll need to go via planning and building regs for it

wwaswas

I’ll eventually add a couple of stud walls and internally insulate for a little home off in the end

make it a granny annex?

I can see making it suitable for subsequent habitation would push initial build costs substantially and may affect planning?

29erKeith
    Free Member

make it a granny annex?

nope, genuinely just a little home office and somewhere to stick loads of my sports kit so that it’s not in the house.

the house isn’t that big and extending it’s not on the cards just at the moment

wwaswas

ah, “home off” = “home office” 🙂

midlifecrashes

Have a look at SIP (Structural Insulated Panel) builds on Youtube, and ebay for supplies. I’m itching to build something, but we already have all the space we need at midlifetowers. The SIPs can be had for not much more than the cost of the insulation you’d put into your brick/blockwork.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Calling Footflaps!

wwaswas

Calling Footflaps!

he’d need to treble his budget!

njee20
    Free Member

Not sure FF’s build is the best example of how to do it on the cheap!

His brickie was good though…

Edit: dammit! Wwaswas beat me by 5 seconds!

captaincarbon
    Free Member

10K sounds about right just for the shell if a mate can do foundations and groundworks…..

29erKeith
    Free Member

The Office\storage room plan was to use plasterboard bonded kingspan and stud partition with kingspan to divide the garage into three rooms. I often make a lot of mess in the garage so wanted to separate them.

Might put a stove in the office bit, maybe! in STW style (via regs). Brother’s a former sparky (only very recently changed) so no prob’s there, mates at his ex firm will test and sign off all above board.

qwerty
    Free Member

I know I’ll need to go via planning and building regs for it

. Why? Is it within 1meter of boundary or in front of house? The square mtr doesn’t trigger it.

nickjb
    Free Member

Bigger than 30m2 so will need building regs. Highly likely to need planning due to height.

I’d say you’ll struggle to hit that budget if you need to get trades in.

footflaps

Mine was 8m x 4m, lined with 150mm Celotex and plastered.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nUBUo9]More paving[/url] by brf, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dQD5L9]Pre-skimming[/url] by brf, on Flickr

Think the shell came in at £15k IIRC (slate roof), 60 8×4′ sheets of Celotex was another £3.5k!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Have a look at SIP (Structural Insulated Panel)

I was going to say something like this but I’m not a builder so had no idea what it would have been called. If you’re not planning on building on top of it, does it need to be brick, prefab pannels would weigh a lot less which might make foundations cheaper too.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Yep within 1m of the boundary, and it’ll likely need to to be brick and slate because of the fussy planners at the national park. Also I think I’d prefer it too tbh at it’ll look right.

I could probably do a wooden frame\clad thing too, a few local out building in that style but not sure it’d be loads cheaper and there’s on going maintenance and it might just look like a giant shed.

brick and slate makes most sense.

Plaster board and kingspan etc will all come later

footflaps

brick and slate makes most sense.

Will mean your footings will need to be quite deep (900mm) for Building Regs since you’re building a single storey house.

29erKeith
    Free Member

900mm for a single skin one storey garage, really?

That’s more than double what my house has got, yes it’s 100 years old, but still seems ott to me for what is in the region of a 5th of the load that my house footings have taken for a long time with no significant movement

nickjb
    Free Member

You’ll struggle to get anything less than 800mm past building regs but you might get lucky. The depth is to find good ground, the width will be dictated by the load. That’s probably £2k in concrete and skips to get you back to ground level! If you can squeeze the internal space to below 30m2 you can bypass building regs and do what you like 🙂

footflaps

That’s more than double what my house has got, yes it’s 100 years old,

Building Regs have moved on a bit since the Victorian era….

footflaps

Materials cost for my footings were:

Skips x4 £600
    Hardcore + sand £375.60
    Mesh + DPC £418.80
    14.5m3 Cement £1,422.40
    Pump Hire £516.00

Concrete was pumped 60m from road, which added to the costs a bit.

29erKeith
    Free Member

ok fair enough

probably use grab lorries as they’re a bit cheaper I think, and access isn’t a problem so shouldn’t need a pump

We’d still need planning and regs as it’ll be up to a boundary line

willyboy
    Free Member

If you aren’t going to ever put a car in it (most people now don’t garage cars) i’d build it out of wood with either a wooden or steel frame. And insulate it well. Potentially with a suspended floor.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Car would go in from time to time as and when I borrow my brothers, ours just sits on the drive. At the moment if I borrow it he insists it goes in a Carcoon.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Car would go in from time to time as and when I borrow my brothers, ours just sits on the drive. At the moment if I borrow it he insists it goes in a Carcoon.

If he’s that fussy, wood’s definately better as it’s naturaly dehumidifying. Car’s rust in brick garrages without a lot of insulation and ventilation.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Garage build costs, doable?’ is closed to new replies.