Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Garage Bike Racks?
  • generallevi
    Free Member

Just wondering if any of your kind souls could give any information or photos of garage wall mounting racks to get the bikes off the floor? Iv got a couple in mind but there seems to be a lot of variation and price. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Need to get two mountain bikes and two roadies off the floor as you know it’s getting bad when you are having to remove everything just to get in…. Sort of defeats the object! 😉

All the best,

Lee.

tubthumped
    Free Member

I’ve used THIS from halfords. I also have 3 copies from eBay that cost £20 delivered (for all 3!).

They’re perfect for what I want. Held everything from a light CX to a 32lb full sus no problem.

TiRed

A decent length of 3×1, with coated hooks and bolted to the wall. I hang bikes from the wheels top to toe. Should leave you change out of £20 including fixings.

flashes
    Free Member

I have 1 of them and a collection of hooks screwed into the rafters. Enough to get 4 bikes off the ground, including the Fat bike……..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hooks screwed to the wall and roof. The plastic coated ones can be good for 25kg.

TiRed

My solution is for when you run out of rafters 😉 . I also add additional inner tube coating to the hooks because the plastic wears off and will mark the rim. Rafters are cunningly perfectly spaced for hooks. Screw them in at 45 degrees relatively close to the wall, then just roll the bike up the wall and onto the hook.

bearnecessities

Disappointed; thought the OP was announcing a new competition at my LBS.

hooli

Toolstation have some coated hooks for about £1, do the job nicely for mine.

cp

I use these from Wickes and screw them to the wooden beams in my cellar. A mate does the same in his garage. click the pic to go to them on Wickes…

generallevi
    Free Member

These all sound great!

To the guys that are hanging them from the rafters. Are you using steel wire or the like to get them at a workable height or are your rafters a lot lower than mine? 😉

All the best,

Lee.

cp

Mate has just dropped an extra piece of timber to attach the hooks to.

ads678

I’m using a few of these:

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/tools-maintenance/bike-storage-solutions/mottez-bike-storage-wheel-hook

seem to work very well. I have them spaced so every second one is higher up so ones sites rear wheel one the floor the next is suspended off the ground. Which means they sit closer together.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack, but I want to hang my bikes vertically from the wall, but don’t want them sticking out into the garage too much, is there a simple way to hang them at an angle, a bit like this:

EDIT: Image is supposed to be from above looking down with top horizontal line representing the wall!!

kudos
    Free Member

is there a simple way to hang them at an angle, a bit like this:

Yup, you just need an anti-gravity machine, or jack one side of your garage up… 😉

I use these off fleabay – cheap as chips and they just work…

ads678

If you cut some timbers at an angle i.e. square section timber cut diagonally along the length, and fixed them to the garage wall, then used the wheel hooks like the ones in my post or the ones above fixed to the timbers the bikes would sit at an angle like your pic. You would just have to check handle bar space needed.

But TBH they would probably stick the same amount.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Garage Bike Racks?’ is closed to new replies.