Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Garage And Mould
  • curiousyellow
    Free Member

Is this generally a problem? Also, is it worth running a dehumidifier on a timer in there to deal with it?

I don’t want to cultivate penicillin on my helmet, kneepads and so on. Any tips on protection/prevention welcome!

richmars

Normally the gaps around the main door allow lots of ventilation so shouldn’t be a problem. You may have issues if you try and make it warmer by insulating and stopping the gale that blows in by the door.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Can we summer it is already a problem? Or are you trying to prevent a problem?
    Or garage is only ventilated by the gaps around the garage door. Had a dehumidifier for a while because we had a load of books in there but the house took priority and a couple of years with only natural ventilation has seen no real change. Dehumidifier would only make sense if you really went to town sealing it up I suspect.

If your riding gear is being put away wet and getting manky it may need somewhere warm in the house to dry before getting dumped back out?

br
    Free Member

If your riding gear is being put away wet and getting manky it may need somewhere warm in the house to dry before getting dumped back out?

This.

crowfoot
    Free Member

Mould thrives in dark moist places, you need air circulation to cure it.

A dehumidifier will take the moisture out of the air, it won’t help your problem.

CF

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Yes, it is already a problem. Not a major one, but bad enough. The recent rain has exacerbated a leak which the builder is looking at soon.

Not so much for wearable kit. That gets put in the house first to dry/wash anyway. It’s things like wheel bags which for some reason have got mould on them. How can I prevent this in addition to addressing the circulation problem? Is there a protective/preventive spray or something for fabric?

If air circulation will help then is it worth mounting an RVK fan in addition to a dehumidifier without having to put in a ventilation point?

eskay

I have just put soffit vents along my garage fascia boards and it has virtually eliminated the condensation problems I was having.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Don’t have that option I’m afraid. I’ll have to vent through the garage or access door.

Is this generally not considered when building a house? Suprising if it’s not.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Edited for double post.

willyboy
    Free Member

You don’t need anything fancy. An airbrick (or two) and access door vent will do.
    We found using a condensing tumble dryer caused issues in our garage, but this was solved with some basic vents.

footflaps

A dehumidifier will take the moisture out of the air, it won’t help your problem.

But it would cure the symptom which is just as good as curing the problem…..

qwerty
    Free Member

❓ If you had a dehumidifier on and left the door open, would it create arid desert trails outside ???

eskay

But it would cure the symptom which is just as good as curing the problem…..

But if you have any ventilation at all, you will be trying to dehumidify the world.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Ventilation is limited to the air gaps around the garage door. I could plug them up, or line the door and use a dehumidifier.

Long term I need to look at eliminating the source of the leak. Which is increasingly looking like the roof and a wall in the corner. The short term problem is dealing with the mould.

footflaps

The short term problem is dealing with the mould.

Bleach….

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Blasted thing is growing on bits of my wheel bags and my bike bag. Wonder if something like Scotch Guard will sort it.

footflaps

Wash it off with a mild bleach solution.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Garage And Mould’ is closed to new replies.