Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Gamut chain device question .
  • oldfart

Specifically the roller .Mine doesn’t roll any more !Can it be taken apart and the bearing replaced/serviced or do i have to but a new one ?

acehtn
    Free Member

It just needs a clean out.
    Remove the roller from the boomarang, if you have circlip pilers then pop off the clip and the bolt should pull through.
    I dont have circlip pilers and tried to pop it off with a screwdriver (worked on other things) i snapped off a prong on the circlip instead.

You should be able to lift off the outer bearing shields (2 bearings) flush out the crap and repack with grease of choice.

As the bearings are not loadbearing like a wheel or pivot it wont matter if they are still a bit rough. You can push out the bearings if you remove the bolt, they are a standard size (unlike the E13 jocky bearings) or get a new roller, about £20 last time i looked.

Cup of tea, stanley knife to pop off the shields, clean out, dry out then repack. My inboard bearing seized, flushed with wd40 and worked it free by rocking back and forth, i wouldnt do that with a wheel or pivot bearing just replace them 😀

oldfart

cheers ace will give that a go before i splash the cash !

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    snakebite
    Free Member

stanley blade to remove seal, squirt of gt to loosen the balls, dry of, pack with grease, roll it round a bit, replace seal, sorted.

oldfart

snakebite did exactly that but couldn’t get the bolt out still no dice ?

acehtn
    Free Member

oldfart you still there ?

(nips down to garage to get gamut for a chat/looksee)

oldfart

Sorry ace missed you !

acehtn
    Free Member

did you fix it ?

The seals should lift off with bolt in place, you may have to tease the front seal off around the circlip prongs. I got mine off ok, but they may have changed the design.

oldfart

Nah had another look .It will turn but is very draaaggggyyy !Noticed that roller is right up against the guide .Wondering if it needs a spacer / washer ? Did find one that roughly fitted but seemed to make little difference .So you don’t knock the bolt out and take bearings out then just clean them in situ ?Might have another go w/e .Thinking of popping seals off and flushing new grease out and trying them with no grease at all .Take it they are supposed to spin freely ?Can’t remember what it was like when new .

catnash
    Free Member

Did mine today, when you replace the roller, there’s a small set screw that aligns the roller onto the carrier. Its easy to bind the roller onto the carrier as well.
    Mine were seized after 10 hours. WD40 and grease as others have said.
    http://cdn.gamutusa.com/Gamut_Instructions.pdf

oldfart

Catnash i reckon your right about the set screw , didn’t even cross my mind !Thanks for the link , you know what it’s like some blokes and instructions eh ! 🙄

acehtn
    Free Member

i dont know….set screws ? 😀

I have been talking about the Single ring DH device, which uses a jam nut to hold the roller in place and you can dial it in for chainline.

You never said you had the dual ring device with a set screw.

Mine has got better since it seized up. Frist i filled it with oil for a few months then just filled it with grease. It spins better than it did new now. Although i reckon better quality bearings in the first place would have been better. (china ones in mine)

A cup of tea and get lubing it will spin again. 😛

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Gamut chain device question .’ is closed to new replies.