Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • games you never beat,but will do (oh yes! ;-)
  • racefaceec90

i still have my amiga copies of eye 1 and 2 (no amiga unfortunately any more). and they still taunt me for never beating them 😡

i managed to get to level 11 in the first game,but got killed by those damned octopus necromancers (hard as nails). ah they are called mind flayers (just looked at the manual 😉

the second game i got stuck in the part where you couldn’t rest (because of nightmares stopping your party from resting and regaining health).

i vow to beat them though 🙂

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Dammit, there’s so much Amiga around right now I am near to buying one… The Ars Technica history articles are worth a read.

I was stuck on the “Hold monster” level of Dead Space for a year, eventually killed it (you can’t change the difficulty without starting a new game).

Never did complete Leapin’ Louis on the C16, nor Leather Goddesses. At the current rate I will finish The Witcher by 2017.

Nil Carborundum Illegitimi.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Any C&C game post Tiberian Sun, dunno why just didn’t get drawn in like Red Alert.

Indiana Jones on the PC, floppy disk got corrupted 🙁

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lemonysam
    Free Member

Pandora’s Box on acorn. Couldn’t finish it even with the invincibility cheat.

Russell96

Shadow of the Beast on the Amiga, came with the 500 when I got it, dammed dammed hard

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/25/antique_code_show_retro_gaming_shadow_of_the_beast/

I’ve got Amiga Forever on my PC http://www.amigaforever.com/ for when I fancy a game of Powermonger or Populous

Northwind

That bloody last snake, every time I almost get to the top, down I go!

I just beat the flagship in FTL with the lanius cruiser last night, that’s been a bloody long time coming. (everyone who likes games; get FTL, it’s mint)

I’ll never finish halflife 1, because I played Black Mesa and it doesn’t include the shitey alien bits or terrible ending.

hatter

Dark Souls… always Dark Souls

Got just past Blight Town, then our baby daughter arrived, and I just lost all the excess mental fortitude you need to play a souls game.

I’ll get back into it when they’re both sleeping a bit more reliably and I can set aside an hour plus at a time to fully concentrate on not getting my arse handed to me.

Cougar

Leather Goddesses

I finished LGoP. It’s a solid, solid game and it’s easy to get yourself into an unwinnable state. Also, like with a lot of the Infocom stuff, you need knowledge of what’s in the game box to pass certain areas of the game (a map of the tunnels for one thing).

lemonysam
    Free Member

Oh and Palace of Magic on BBC. Could I get across the pits of snakes to get the boot so I could cross the fire? Could I ****.

LMT
    Free Member

Star Fox Adventures on the Gamecube I’m 85%, I’m stuck on the damn towers you have to take our 4 twice but your not in control of the flying it loops you round and round firing at you as you go round, I even got a turbo button pad but that’s not quick enough even for it. One day I will beat it, I do try at easter and Christmas I dig out the cube and try but fail every time.

llama

was the hospital level in alien isolation

now is the hospital level in alien isolation later on where you do it in reverse

P-Jay
    Free Member

BMX Racer on the C16.

I played, and played and played it over and over again and always got stuck at the same point until I cried any made my Mum turn it off.

Even now 30 odd years later I can still remember the point I crashed.

The worst thing is, until this thread I’d completely forgotten about it, looking at this link here.

I was stuck about 80% of the way through the first level, in my defence I was only 6 and it looks quite hard – no wonder I got pissed off with it, 20 mins load time, only to die after 20 seconds.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Dragon’s Lair on the NES – I’ve seen a walkthrough video on Youtube and it’s a ridiculously short process from start to finish but so hard… turns out I’ve got pretty close, but not close enough 😡

chvck
    Free Member

FTL pissed me off too much so I never managed to complete it. 100%ing Super Meat Boy is something that I will not ever manage, ever. Ever.

grenosteve
    Free Member

I did Darksouls and Darksouls 2 on the 360 after many hours of honing my skills, but the new version of Darksouls 2 on the PS4 has pushed me too far. The red guys that spawn just hand me my arse every time, and the novelty has worn off now… maybe one day, but I doubt it!

Also, any megaman game!

soundninjauk

The Last of Us. I started playing months ago but never got sucked in. I know I should just start again, but I’ve never quite psyched myself up to it.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Also, like with a lot of the Infocom stuff, you need knowledge of what’s in the game box to pass certain areas of the game (a map of the tunnels for one thing).

That’s what I call copy protection (not that it would work now).

I had a copy 😆

MrNutt
    Free Member

Breakout Man on the Toshiba MSX

I swear it had a bug that rendered it unfinishable

The same goes for Finders Keepers, bloody saltpeter…

And Colony, I loved that game.

tron
    Free Member

Grandstand BMX Flyer! I can’t believe nobody else has mentioned it.

Not sure if there’s an actual end to it though!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Aliens (3?) On the original game boy. To this day i think there is a problem with it.

Its not even a baddy thats stops me i just cant work out to do next.

mattbee

“100%ing Super Meat Boy is something that I will not ever manage, ever. Ever.”
    Is possibly the oddest sentence I’ve read for a long time….

mikey74
    Free Member

I was close to finishing the original Half life when I got a new computer. I told my Dad, who was the resident It expert at the time, to make sure he included the save files when transferring everything over: he forgot, and formatted the original drive. I was crestfallen. I did start again but didn’t have the heart after that and never finished it.

Cougar

That’s what I call copy protection (not that it would work now).

I had a copy

I had a copy too – didn’t everyone? – but managed to snag a copy of the maps and stuff. I remember you’d to “hop”, “clap” and “say ‘kweepa'” at various points in the tunnels to avoid being eaten. No way you’d just guess that.

Lurking Horror was the one that legged me up. There’s a computer in the room you start in, the password to log in is on a ‘student ID card’ in the packaging. Without it you could play a chunk of the game but there was a bit you couldn’t complete. I spent months playing that bloody thing without knowing this. Never did finish it, that should probably be my entry on this thread.

Sierra pulled it a couple of times too. One of the Police Quests, there’s a section where you’ve to arrest a drunk driver. Tried every command under the sun without success; the game manual tells you you’ve to “administer fst” (field sobriety test). And King’s Quest… III I think, came with a spell book containing recipe ingredients, without that you can’t get very far at all.

I kinda miss the days where an incentive to actually buying a game was all the bundled ephemera that came with it. These days you’d be paying a huge premium for the ‘collector’s edition’.

flyingmonkeycorps

Shockingly I never completed Monkey Island 2. I had it on the Amiga, but one of the discs (quite far in) turned out to be corrupt and by the time I got around to a working copy the magic had gone. I did finish Indy and the Fate of Atlantis about five times though.

Also there was another Amiga game – I can’t for the life of me remember the name of it – that I seem to remember getting stuck in a loop in. It was a 3d first person RPG (with actual 3d environments) all set in a town with dungeons and such. Anyone any idea what it was?

steveoath
    Free Member

Marioland! But just installed snes9x on a 2nd hand psp so hopefully will crack it!!

SandyThePig
    Free Member

If you like Eye of the Beholder series (as did I back in the day), you’ll love the Legend of Grimrock series:

I’m as of this moment playing though LoG2!

richmtb

(everyone who likes games; get FTL, it’s mint)

Very true.

Never beaten Ghost and Goblins (the original Arcade game) but will

Managed Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 but yes they are bastard hard

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘games you never beat,but will do (oh yes! ;-)’ is closed to new replies.