Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 1,324 total)
  • A Summer of Cricket – SPOILERS
  • dannyh
    Free Member

The major worry for me about England’s batting is that four of the top six, namely Cook, Trott, Pietersen and Bairstow, are all bottom hand billies to varying extents. Playing in this way reduces the hitting point to a fraction of what it is when playing properly straight.

Boycs May be becoming the next Fred Trueman when it comes to commentary, but he still knows what he’s on about.

zokes
    Free Member

The major worry for me about England’s batting is that four of the top six, namely Cook, Trott, Pietersen and Bairstow, are all bottom hand billies to varying extents.

Trott is usually as safe as houses, and the Chef and KP are already amongst the best test batsmen England has ever fielded, so I’m not too concerned about them. Bairstow is young, and has yet to impress me (or instil confidence when the top four have fallen over cheaply). But, I don’t know anything about him from county, so assuming he’s been picked on the back of a decent record there, he should be given a chance to prove himself.

camo16
    Free Member

Predictions for England’s 2nd innings score?

It’s 234/5 with the Aussies sure to hit hard this morning and a new ball on the way.

On the other hand, Bell* and England’s tail have the ability to get another 100, maybe more.

So – I’m going for 308 ao

Any other predictions?

* whom I shall no longer call ‘Ian Bellend’ after this series.

ransos
    Free Member

* whom I shall no longer call ‘Ian Bellend’ after this series.

I’ve called him a few names over the years. But I think that’s in frustration – he’s so obviously gifted, and a joy to watch, then would get himself out doing something stupid. It’s great to see him getting the runs when they really matter.

Anyway, I suspect a lead of 250 would be enough, 300 would be nailed on.

camo16
    Free Member

he’s so obviously gifted, and a joy to watch, then would get himself out doing something stupid

+1

Great techique, but his mind’s not always been this strong. Echoes of Ramprakash, I always thought. It’s lovely to be proved wrong.

ransos
    Free Member

Great techique, but his mind’s not always been this strong. Echoes of Ramprakash, I always thought. It’s lovely to be proved wrong.

Apparently, since he came back in 2009 after being dropped, he averages 55. Not bad!

zokes
    Free Member

ooof

twice

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

ARGH!

Klunk
    Free Member

blimey that’s some variable bounce !

camo16
    Free Member

Dang, that chap Harris can bowl. 😡

Prior off form again. Anyone remember when he was actually a pretty good batsman?

zokes
    Free Member

That’s a pity. I was enjoying that…

zokes
    Free Member

Dang, that chap Harris can bowl.

He can, but (usually) fortunately for his opposition, his arm falls off sooner or later

Klunk
    Free Member

the ball is flying to all parts at other end !

Klunk
    Free Member

what a shot !!!

Klunk
    Free Member

lead up to 270

camo16
    Free Member

On this pitch, whats’s the minimum lead to defend with confidence?

I’m thinking 300 would just about do it.

zokes
    Free Member

😯 at that Bresnan shot! What a reply!!!

But wag wag wag goes the tail.

zokes
    Free Member

250ish might have been defendable. 300 if we carry this momentum into the bowling should do it quite nicely.

Don’t forget Lyon is no Swanny

camo16
    Free Member

I guess it’s about now that Bresnan begins to worry too much about his 50?

Give ’em hell, Brezzers!

camo16
    Free Member

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

allthepies
    Free Member

Darn!

Really need 350 ish lead IMO.

zokes
    Free Member

Smith’s just dropped the Ashes?

Oh…..

😆

allthepies
    Free Member

Go on Swanny 🙂

zokes
    Free Member

299 the target…

camo16
    Free Member

Not bad, all considered.

Someone – fire up the JIMMINATOR!

theotherjonv

15 mins for broad and Jimmy to really tear in. I think it’ll be broad’s performance that will make or break here – if the pitch is playing up with his height and bounce (or lack of, which is just as dangerous when you expect it to bounce) he could be very tough to play. Then when the ball softens, bres and Jimmy to keep it tight while swanny wraps it up.

zokes
    Free Member

I can’t help thinking Cook has been reading Clarke’s book on how not to use reviews…

zokes
    Free Member

And that we needed a wicket with that new ball before lunch

yossarian
    Free Member

This is beautifully poised.

A century from an Aussie wins them the game. An early breakthrough and any kind of collapse hands it to us.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Australia might just edge this.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

From the Beeb text…

This reminds me of the formula to find your West Indies cricketer name: US president at time of birth + last British seaside town visited.

Nixon Stanley *

* Last seaside town I visited was Stanley, in HK. Seeing as it used to be British, I’ll include that! 🙂

camo16
    Free Member

I agree.

But hopefully we’ll pounce for a couple at least with the new ball. Then things will be really interesting.

Nixon Stanley *

Ford Beaumaris – that’s got a nice ring to it!

camo16
    Free Member

Now, the question is – is Cook sufficiently defensive to be thinking already: “suh-weet, rain, that’ll save the test”?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ford Beaumaris

Left arm spinner, IIRC. Lovely, jaunty run in, flighty deliveries.

camo16
    Free Member

Left arm spinner, IIRC. Lovely, jaunty run in, flighty deliveries.

More than adequate with the old willow, too – the dogged 37no made on a scrubby turning pitch, WI vs NZ, Wellington, ’73, being a defining career highlight.

Have you seen Nixon Stanley’s economy rate? 😯 Controversy aside, it’s no wonder he was dropped.

yossarian
    Free Member

Nixon Stanley *

A Nixon Hampton over here! 😀 I field in the slips man, wid no hands

A nice bit of rain now to get the ball moving sideways, a few showers to break the batsmen’s concentration…

theotherjonv

Nixon Bude.

Never the most flowing batsman, a bit of a bottom hand Billy if the truth be told, but on his day could bring the bowlers to their knees, including one memorable moment when the bowler asked the umpire to check if his blade was within the allowed limit.

Along with Truman Ramsgate, formed a formidable opening partnership for the Windies despite not actually being on speaking terms, after an incident following a ODI in Port of Spain involving a tin of pineapple rings, served up in a ‘look no hands’ style.

camo16
    Free Member

All you Nixons are making my Ford Beaumaris feel young and spry, but I’m sure it won’t last… that intolerable young whippersnapper Clinton Croyde (best: 6/37 vs India, Trinidad, 2001) will be along any minute now. 👿

zokes
    Free Member

Few options for me:

Regan Adelaide – for the same reason as CFH in that Oz used to be part of Britain, perhaps.

Regan St Peter Port – doesn’t really work, but geographically the last British seaside town I was in, even if it’s not technically the UK

Regan Rhoscolyn – Has a ring to it, but not sure this works with Welsh place names

Which leaves:

Regan ‘Bing’ Crosby – somewhat prone to outbursts of singing to sledge the opposition

timidwheeler

Carter Whitby.

Absolutley useless wicket keeper.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

In full, mine becomes a right mouthful: Lyndon B Johnson Burton Bradstock. However, with a bit of tweaking we could have:

Johnson Bradstock or
    Lyndon B Bradstock

Whichever way you look at it – likely to be useless! 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 1,324 total)

The topic ‘A Summer of Cricket – SPOILERS’ is closed to new replies.