Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 1,324 total)
  • A Summer of Cricket – SPOILERS
  • ransos
    Free Member

Oh god no, it’ll end up like rugby where the on field officials are incapable of even scratching their arse without asking for the TV official’s view

Yup, that’s a risk for sure.

My take is DRS is pretty useless for a) determining if a catch is clean and b) thin edges, as they don’t always show up. I’d can the system for those purposes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think the problem was we watched it and it was clearly making bad decisions.
    it is there to remove doubt when in fact it added doubt as out folk were left in , not out were given out etc

When there are no reviews left we still got howlers be it Broad not walking or Bresnan not appealing

Whatever its aims it is not making decisions better IMHO so either use it properly or just accept the Umps decisions will even out over a series?

Still struggling with why 49.9 % of a ball hitting the stumps is umps call tbh
    I guess we have to have some point but its not like the bails would have stayed on

Klunk
    Free Member

they only use it (DRS) because TV had it and were showing up the umpires. If they stop using DRS they have to get Sky to drop all of it too, stump mic, overlays the lot.

yossarian
    Free Member

😯 Monty!!!??

😀 good work that man

There’s a simple solution for DRS. take the 2 referrals per team per innings away and make it a tool to be used exclusively by the umpires with no limit on the number of times it can be used. Time taken to be added on at the end of each session or day.

Snicko, hotspot and stump mikes to be available to the third umpire who will be the sole adjudicator with the benefit of doubt being given to the batsman.

zokes
    Free Member

Still struggling with why 49.9 % of a ball hitting the stumps is umps call tbh

Although Hawkeye has improved much in the past few years, the reason why the ICC err on the side of caution with LBWs is that the system has to predict where the ball would have gone, which has much more error than recording where it did go (like for where it pitched, or as used in tennis).

That said, whilst 50% of the moving ball is fair enough, why it has to be the middle, rather than the edge of the stumps is a mystery to me. They’re not moving anywhere!

zokes
    Free Member

There’s a simple solution for DRS. take the 2 referrals per team per innings away and make it a tool to be used exclusively by the umpires with no limit on the number of times it can be used. Time taken to be added on at the end of each session or day.

No, no, no!

Umpires prevaricate enough as it is without giving them a license to refer every last thing to the third umpire. The state it’s got to in rugby is a good case in point.

muggomagic

DRS is fine as it is. The way teams use it needs to change as they are just taking a punt rather than actually believing that the decision was incorrect. The only change I’d like to see is what was suggested by Jimmy Anderson, in that decisions that are “umpires call” should not mean that the team loses a review as it’s not conclusive.

ransos
    Free Member

DRS is fine as it is.

If it can’t show a faint nick then it’s not doing what it’s supposed to do. Better to accept its limitations and get rid of hotspot. I think it remains useful for lbw (e.g. showing if it pitched outside leg stump), run-outs and obvious nicks. It’s completely useless for determining clean catches.

Umpire’s call remains a problem – two identical deliveries have different outcomes depending on whether the on-field umpire gave it out or not. As you say, at least if a team doesn’t lose a review that would be some compensation.

Junkyard
    Free Member

DRS is fine as it is

😯

even on appeal there have been decisions that everyone seemed to accept were wrong so whatever you think of it working fine cannot be amongst them.

zokes i agree it is prone to more error [ ie predicting] and a margin of doubt is needed but 49.9% hitting is surely good enough to be certain. what is the margin of error ? how about more than that hitting then we know it did hit?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

[Like politics} if the technology is becoming the story rather than the cricket, then something is wrong. On this basis, surely the conclusion is pretty clear and damning.

Frankly, I would like to go back to no tech in cricket and the “umpires decision is final.” Dickie Bird and others did a brilliant job without technology – are the current guys any better with it? But this wont happen because pandora’s box has been opened. So it is imperative that technology is used correctly and to benefit the game.

My first thought was like yossa’s ie, let the umpires use it at their discretion but the “limited-use” of the current system also has merit in the way that it works in tennis. But if technology really is prone to error, then I would prefer human error any day. It seems somehow more forgivable!!

Whatever happens, it has cast a shadow rather than light on the current series IMO and that is a pity.

theotherjonv

The umpires still do a brilliant job. I posted a few pages back on the stats from the first test, they got 90+? right without technology, and then half the rest were improved by tech from memory. The trouble is that errors have been high profile, and also the technology has misfired slightly at times.

I agree that a review that is rejected based on staying with umpires call shouldn’t be lost. It was a good call to review, shouldn’t be penalised for that as well as having the decision still against you. One other change I’d like; where the ball pitches is a matter of fact, not opinion, as is the line of the stumps. That should go with result, not this 50% rule.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

[Blowers]

My dear old things, good morning! Cake, anyone?

Oooh, look! A pigeon. On a bus!

[/Blowers]

England win the toss and bat first.

zokes
    Free Member

Looks like they’re giving us the Bird…

camo16
    Free Member

18 in 10 overs… fair enough, but my one-day head can’t help wishing we had someone like Chris Gayle to start things off.

zokes
    Free Member

Hmmm, that’s a pity

camo16
    Free Member

[misty-eyed]

Remember the days when batsmen had the dignity to walk when they edged it?

[/misty-eyed]

zokes
    Free Member

No idea why the on field ump didn’t give that

camo16
    Free Member

Very quiet, this thread. 😯

Due to today’s cricket being so dull or the fact that the series is already over?

zokes
    Free Member

Time for a “KP you doughnut” comment 🙁

zokes
    Free Member

And now Cook. Bugger.

camo16
    Free Member

Due to today’s cricket being so dull

I wrote that 18 minutes ago. 😯 Top collapsing action by England here.

yossarian
    Free Member

Dreadful batting performance!

Pathetic.

zokes
    Free Member

Calypso collapso

spawnofyorkshire

Anyone else having to endure this Boycott rant on TMS wishing for the almighty to intervene with a coronary for the gobsh!t£ ??

Just me then…

Klunk
    Free Member

we are so lucky the aussies are so poor, we’ve never had such a complacent bunch of players.

Kryton57

Klunk – Member
    we are so lucky the aussies are so poor, we’ve never had such a complacent arrogant bunch of players.

…if you listen to Warne.

zokes
    Free Member

Well, that’s sort of what I expected, but hoped I wouldn’t see when I woke up.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you will probably cheer up once you see them batting

Its like neither team want to win

Still that Aussie tail has done some whacking so not quite time to gloat

Another for there for DRS

He was out either way but he gets away with it

They do need to sort this

For those not watchign
    UMPS gave caught behind but he did not hit it and would have been umps call for LBW

psychle
    Free Member

That DRS replay just suggests to me that Hawkeye isn’t bloody accurate! In real life that ball passed well over the stumps, even after faintly clipping Rogers pad, so how does it suddenly end up much lower in the virtualisation/reconstruction??

zokes
    Free Member

That DRS replay just suggests to me that Hawkeye isn’t bloody accurate! In real life that ball passed well over the stumps, even after faintly clipping Rogers pad, so how does it suddenly end up much lower in the virtualisation/reconstruction??

In prediction mode (i.e. after it’s hit something) it isn’t, hence the large margin for error on >50% of ball hitting >50% of stumps. Before it hits anything, it should be millimetre accurate though, as it appears to be in tennis.

Happy with the score so far though. I generally think it’s imprudent to be too critical of a first innings score until both sides have batted.

Junkyard
    Free Member

it should be millimetre accurate though, as it appears to be in tennis.

It is at saying what happened but less so at predicting what will happen next if the legs had not got in the way

game still nicely poised but the England top order batters need replacing been on low score for 3 in every innings pretty much

Klunk
    Free Member

another 100-120 ftw

allthepies
    Free Member

Bad light 🙁

allthepies
    Free Member

And back 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

was it just a cloud 😉

dannyh
    Free Member

Even the bloody commentators are getting in a saucer-eyed trance over hotspot. They were umming and arring over the faint hot spot on Rogers glove from the square leg angles. There was a visible deflection off of the glove, even when viewed on ‘airport scanner’ mode. Get rid of drs ffs.

Give it all back to the umpires. Review their performance after each match using the technology and promote or demote as appropriate to get your elite panel.

A two tier game is being created. What about the borderline county player who gets a succession of shocking decisions and loses his contract at the end of a season? Decisions that would have gone the way of the batsman at test level.

Oh, and Pietersen played like a twunt again.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Give it all back to the umpires. Review their performance after each match using the technology and promote or demote as appropriate to get your elite panel.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The problem is umps will get some decisions wrong so how exactly do you grade them. What do they get x number of howlers per match? series?

What grates re DRS is they have technology to stop the howler and they have some how implemented it to help them get the decision wrong

I am not sure of the fix but this creates more problems rather than reduce them

dannyh
    Free Member

I agree that ‘howler’ us even more subjective than right/wrong (which is by no means certain in a lot of cases). One thing for sure, it should be based on a large sample of decisions made over a long period of time.

Take someone like Aleem Dar. I think he is brilliant. He changed test umpiring by giving lbw to spinners when the batter played straight and forward. Simply ‘getting a stride in’ was no longer sufficient. He has made a couple of howlers of late, but over a long period, he would be in the top three in my opinion.

I’ll have to defer to the legend that is Peter Willey on this. When big screen replays at grounds were first allowed he said he would pack in umpiring if he was made to look a prat in public when trying his level best to do things right. He was instrumental in getting this stopped.

If anyone would like to argue with him on a one to one basis then fine!

CaptJon
    Free Member

I was at the game yesterday (saturday) and while the DRS was confusing, my biggest concern is Cook’s captaincy. He’s so conservative he’s basically an automaton. If Anderson and Swann are doing their world class thing, and Broad is on target everything works fine. But when the batsmen have their measure, or the ball is doing anything he has no plan b.

Oh, and Trott was in a really bad mood in the field. When on the boundary someone shouted at him to smile, and he turned around, almost called them out, and then told them to **** off.

Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 1,324 total)

The topic ‘A Summer of Cricket – SPOILERS’ is closed to new replies.