Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,324 total)
  • A Summer of Cricket – SPOILERS
  • uwe-r
    Free Member

I blame this thread. Can I suggest we start a whole new positive vibes thread tomorrow AM. Jimmy to take 5 wickets before lunch tomorrow.

johndoh
    Free Member

Ohh twattity

martinhutch

Jimmy to take 5 wickets this evening before lunch tomorrow.

Changed to more accurate hopefulness.

wrecker
    Free Member

I don’t really know cricketz. Is that what they call a “collapse”?

portlyone

I don’t really know cricketz. Is that what they call a “collapse”?

Nope, “normal”.

wrecker
    Free Member

215 must be teh rubbish. My mate said that england could get 50 odd throws at the aussies before the whistle at about 6 o clock. I remember that you can score 6 goals per throw so the aussies could score 300 odd in an hour! We didn’t get that many all day!

nicko74

You’re not singing, you’re not singing, you’re not singing any mooooore…

Get in!

martinhutch

Oh yes…

johndoh
    Free Member

😯

Junkyard
    Free Member

how confident is your mate now wrecker 😆

does he reckon they will get 100?

wrecker
    Free Member

how confident is your mate now wrecker

To be fair, he just told me the number of potential throws. I did the maths myself 😀
    I literally know nothing about cricketz. I’m giving this one a try but if it ends up a draw after 5 days, I’ll be a spitter not a swallower.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

psychle – Member – Quote
    Well I’m off to bed chaps,enjoy the days play, here’s hoping I awaken to god news

It was better news when I got up 🙂

zokes
    Free Member

It was better news when I got up

+1 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

now all we need is for them knock the aussies over before I go to bed, and somebody let me know if I can split screen the TV for the tour and the cricket.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and for a balanced perspective here is what the Aussies are saying
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-11/siddle-confident-australia-can-overtake-england-total/4813004

“I think that first hour before drinks will be crucial for us, if we can get through unscathed, we can start getting through the day from there,” he told Grandstand.
    “I think if we can get out there and dig in and be patient, with [Brad] Haddin still to come and the rest of us [tail-enders], we can get to their total and push forward a little bit as well.”

Peter Siddle

yossarian
    Free Member

I’d say honours about even at the close. First session is going to be critical. The forecast is for improving conditions as the day progresses. If the Aussies are still batting at tea we’ll be looking at a substantial deficit in the second innings.

Despite some dreadful shot selection by our top 6 yesterday, I think Cook made an error in batting first. If you are going to back your bowlers to bowl last then IMO you need to back them to bowl first in favourable conditions. I reckon we’d have run through the Aussies by mid afternoon yesterday and be looking forward to a big first innings lead today.

Bear
    Free Member

Yoss – pitch too dry to bat first, they don’t want to bat last on it. Also forecast was for cloud to burn off but that didn’t happen so ball moved all day. Trent Bridge is a swing ground anyway but with the dryness the ball will reverse later too.
    Saying that we desperately need Broad out there today.

psychle
    Free Member

Well I’m off to bed chaps,enjoy the days play, here’s hoping I awaken to good news

Sooooo… I did awaken to good news, Poms all out for 215, huzzah! Then, the immediate bad news, Aussies 4/75, bugger! Definitely a tough day to be a batsman that’s for sure 😆 . Here’s hoping today is more favourable (for the Colonials 😉 )

Looking at all the wickets that fell, I’d say the majority of the Poms got out to bad shots as opposed to jaffa deliveries (with one or two exceptions) whereas the Aussie wickets seemed to me to fall to excellent deliveries (with the exception of Cowan, who surely must be dropped after this test)… Not sure what that says/implies tbh (if anything!)

Junkyard
    Free Member

indeed honours evens but remember England bowled with a Bowler down and still did this.

As I said they are still the best team though it has looked more competitive that I expected so far.

theotherjonv

Looking at all the wickets that fell, I’d say the majority of the Poms got out to bad shots as opposed to jaffa deliveries (with one or two exceptions) whereas the Aussie wickets seemed to me to fall to excellent deliveries

This. I think that England will have been chastised by this, and their batting will get better as they ease into the series. Test match batting is about surviving the good balls and waiting for the bad ball to come along, and while Siddle bowled a number of good balls in favourable conditions there were too many bad ones to build genuine pressure in the way McGrath used to. The Aussies will get better, but they don’t terrify me.

Whereas Anderson, Broad, Finn, Bresnan, Onions, Swann…….. can all bowl over after over tightly with the odd Jaffa thrown in as well, and will prove too strong for the Aussie batting line up.

yossarian
    Free Member

Morning psychle

right lets get the scoring thing straight – its 75-4 not 4-75, got it? 🙂

You are right about the differences in dismissals – I am now 100% sure that we should have bowled first (and yes I was saying that this time yesterday). Cloudless skies today, unless we get right into you early I can see a large problem for England. Cook may well have wanted to bowl last on a wearing pitch but you’ve got to have something to bowl at.

psychle
    Free Member

Whereas Anderson, Broad, Finn, Bresnan, Onions, Swann…….. can all bowl over after over tightly with the odd Jaffa thrown in as well, and will prove too strong for the Aussie batting line up.

I fear you may be correct on this point unfortunately. Hardly any of the Aussie batsman seem able to play patiently – look at Watson for instance, beautiful strong striker of the ball, 100% capable of destroying any bad delivery that comes his way, but couldn’t resist driving hard at a ball that really should have been left alone, and the same goes for most of our lineup unfortunately, with the exception of Clarke and now Rogers. I think, in fact, this is why our bowlers/tail have done so well actually, they do seem to be able to play with patience, dodging the good balls (either leaving or resolute straight bat defence) and then being capable enough to dispatch the opportunities that do come their way, I reckon the top-order could do a heck of a lot worse than follow their bloody lead!

Almost time to get underway, fingers crossed for a good session from Hughes and Smith 😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Should be an interesting day. Day one in short – one side bowled and batted poorly. The other batted poorly but bowled ok. Lets hope this morning that we have poor batting and good bowling.

But we HAVE to stop relying on bowlers to get us out of trouble. Oh for a few, ok one, boycott out there who realises that someone needs to bat for more than a few overs in a test match. They are meant to be 5 day matches FFS!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

right lets get the scoring thing straight – its 75-4 not 4-75, got it?

🙂

Upside down, innit?

psychle
    Free Member

right lets get the scoring thing straight – its 75-4 not 4-75, got it?

The local populace Downunder are quite miffed with the coverage here, it’s just the Sky broadcast complete with incorrect scoring and speeds given in mph (on both channels that are ‘exclusively’ broadcasting it)… whilst I quite like the commentary of Athers, Bumble, Beefy et al. I don’t see why they couldn’t put the ‘right’ graphics/overlay on the coverage for us, surely not that hard to do??

theotherjonv

Oh for a few, ok one, boycott out there who realises that someone needs to bat for more than a few overs in a test match.

Cook, Bell (in the past) and Trott are all more than capable, yesterday will reset expectations and I’m confident they’ll knuckle down to build innings that last sessions and days rather than minutes and hours in future. Root, maybe as well but hasn’t proved it yet.

Bairstow will always look to get on with it and therefore could be susceptible but that’s the way he plays, same with Prior; but if they come off they’ll score heavily, quickly. And Pietersen is Pietersen, for good and bad.

If the 4 names up top do their job of seeing off the new ball and building a foundation, you want the middle order to be able to accelerate. I think the balance of the side is good, just need to perform now.

yossarian
    Free Member

Broad is off the field – this is looking ominous for us now

SHOULD HAVE BOWLED FIRST

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

TOJ – agree with the candidates but disappointed that they didn’t step up. At least trott looked like he knew what an error he made!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

1136:
    Aus 113-5 (Hughes 21*, Haddin 1*)
    The new man is the rock-hard Brad Haddin. A key figure, the 35-year-old wicketkeeper recalled as vice-captain to add some experience. The sort that can bat all day. A single to get off the mark, then another trademark Hughes cut for four.

And then….a minute later!

1137:
    WICKET – Haddin b Swann 1 (Aus 113-6 29.1 ovs)

😀

theotherjonv

They’re too good technically and mentally to make those mistakes over and over.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and another one

mikewsmith
    Free Member

EnglandAustralia batting collapse

grum
    Free Member

Anderson = legend.

psychle
    Free Member

Bugger… here we go 🙁

grum
    Free Member

AND ANOTHER!!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

and another and some dropped catches to boot wont get 150

aracer
    Free Member

There’s only one Jimmy Anderson, There’s only one Jimmy Anderson, There’s only one Jimmy Anderson, There’s only one Jimmy Anderson (repeat to fade)

psychle
    Free Member

Yay, fantastic stuff from Australia… can’t say I wasn’t expecting it to be honest, though I was hoping against hope that the script would play out differently. Bloody pathetic… 🙁 These pricks get paid to be this useless? 👿

yossarian
    Free Member

8-114 😀

tactical genius that Cook – totally the right decision to bat first 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

wont get 150 120

FTFME

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,324 total)

The topic ‘A Summer of Cricket – SPOILERS’ is closed to new replies.