Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 1,324 total)
  • A Summer of Cricket – SPOILERS
  • yossarian
    Free Member

Pattinson ruled out of the series with a back fracture & Pietersen doubtful for the third test.

Bird in for the Aussies? Is that a gamble or will they properly throw the dice and pick 2 spinners?

Compton to return? Taylor to step up? What do we think?

zokes
    Free Member

Wasn’t there an aussie (A few years ago) who said the ashes should changed to 3 tests, as England weren’t good enough to play 5.

At this rate they’ll need to make their own – to mourn the death of Australian cricket

uwe-r
    Free Member

It can’t get much worse for them at the moment however cricket is a funny game and it would only take a decent knock from a couple of their batsmen to make the next test interesting, it was Root in isolation that made the last test so one sided. Difficult to see them pulling themselves together though as to compound there poor ability the organisation has been disastrous – they have gone about the DRS process like school kids!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Scamper
    Free Member

With a victory of well over 300 runs and being bowled out for under 150, think it was slightly more than the root show.

grum
    Free Member

It can’t get much worse for them at the moment however cricket is a funny game and it would only take a decent knock from a couple of their batsmen to make the next test interesting,

This. I think we’re getting a little carried away. Remember how close the first test was. Clarke is capable of big scores (though he needs to man up and promote himself up the order).

England are still comfortably the better team but Australia could nick a result if ‘we’ get complacent. The series is surely beyond them though.

theotherjonv

it was Root in isolation that made the last test so one sided

Ian Bell will be delighted that the ton he scored when England were 28-3 was of no value in your eyes.

I think we’re getting a little carried away. Remember how close the first test was.

As i said after the first Test; England’s batters still had improvements to make, and the bowlers more so – in T1 only Anderson really bowled with any prolonged penetration, Broad and Swann misfired and Finn missed completely. In T2, where all 3 quicks bowled well and didn’t release the pressure, and Swann was back to near his best, Aussie had no answers. I could only see it being harder in the rest of the series for Australia, their batters (Clarke aside) don’t have what it takes, and a combined total of 363-20 on a decent batting pitch suggests to me that weather permitting, a whitewash is a distinct possibility.

grum
    Free Member

Aye I agree with all that, I just think one (pretty much) innings defeat doesn’t necessarily mean as much as some are making out. It is true that you don’t feel England are anywhere near firing on all cylinders yet, especially in top order batting. Cook, Trott and KP (plus Prior) are certainly capable of much bigger totals.

I had tickets for Old Trafford but I’m now meant to be moving house the next day so I don’t think I can go. 🙁

uwe-r
    Free Member

The series so far has been defined by poor batting on both sides. If you look down the scorecards you see mediocrity punctuated by the odd stand out performance and in many cases tail end players contributing significantly above their station. My point is that when there is such inconsistency it does not take much to swing it around.

The bad news for the Aussies is on the bowling front we started ok and looked to be really getting in to stride at Trent bridge where as they started ok but were really made to suffer at Trent bridge and they were knackered at the end of it, literally.

theotherjonv

My point is that there is plenty of historical evidence that England’s batters are underperforming compared to their past levels, and will turn that around. I don’t think Australia’s batters are capable.

Interesting view from I think Gower, that Australia have to stick with this bunch for the series now, which is effectively lost, and see if they do have capability. If they chuck them out now, they’ll never know.

theotherjonv

Finn and Onions out. Pietersen a fitness doubt. Tremlett, Panesar and Taylor in the squad.

Don’t think Tremlett’s in the frame yet unless someone is injured. Surrey are sitting out this round of county games so it’s a chance for the setup to look at him, I don’t think they’d willingly risk him – I don’t think he’s proved his fitness for a 5d game quite yet.

So for me it’ll be no change barring injuries (KP or a bowler) unless they get to OT and find a raging bunsen in which case Bresnan for Monty.

yossarian
    Free Member

Bold move by England. Very pleased to see tremlett back in the fold. Taylor has his chance now. If he bats well he could displace Barstow if/when KP returns. What about monty? Who would you drop to play him? Bresnan?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

ROFLCOPTAZ!

I hope he’s not right, though….

hammy7272
    Free Member

Taylor in for K.P only change in my opinion. Bit of rain around, no point playing Monty. Root can bowl a few if it is turning.

5-0

Michael Clarke has to say that.

My mates are going tomorrow! So jealous.

zokes
    Free Member

Meanwhile, in Australia…

“and over to the cricket, where Shane Warne has been called in……….

……to provide guidance to the Australian team”

Had me worried for a second there.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Any chance of rain? I have some aussies coming over for Dinner on Saturday and wondering if there will be anything to watch.

Warner back so either 100 or a fight I reckon. Could be more interesting or just another self destruct roll over and die despite being given heaps of chances by some bad England play.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, it’s started well for them…

🙂

zokes
    Free Member

All quiet so far…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

30 mins and no wicket? I’d be asking for my money back. Is it a coincidence that the TV signal has just started playing up?

allthepies
    Free Member

<benaud>Good morning everybody</benaud>

psychle
    Free Member

May as well join the conversation again, mornin all 😀

30 mins and no wicket?

Bloody amazing innit?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

may have a nice couple of cold ones and see how this progresses.

zokes
    Free Member

I’ve been out-voted by wife and foetus, so got other stuff on the telly at the moment 🙁

uwe-r
    Free Member

I said about 18 pages back that 50 runs per wicket is a bench mark for a good score, Aussies are on track here for a big number. This could be interesting. Anyone praying for rain yet?

Edit: the mockers are back. I see Rogers getting a ton here no problem.

zokes
    Free Member

I said about 18 pages back that 50 runs per wicket is a bench mark for a good score, Aussies are on track here for a big number. This could be interesting.

well, Watto was 31 runs short of your target. At least he wasn’t LBW for once!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Is this more flattery to deceive or are they actually batting well?

Still dont think they can pout perform England in any match though I think they will get at least one draw and may even earn one

uwe-r
    Free Member

First wicket at 76-1 which is a comfortable rate, we’d need to get another before the 100 is up for things to drift towards Englands favour. It’s like Boykers says, stick two wickets on any score and it doesn’t look so good.

I see the miserable Yorkshire man has had a pop at Old Trafford this morning – I wonder if that is his contribution to Yorkshire day?

Smudger666

Gents, I can confirm the best place to watch cricket is poolside somewhere hot! Too many waves to snorkel inshore so it’s pool for the day with the cricket on.

Ooh, that’s 77 for three. (Beers that is 😉 )

mikewsmith
    Free Member

OOOOO second go

mikewsmith
    Free Member

no idea how he went for that! DRS seems to be very broken

psychle
    Free Member

Aaaaaaaargh, un-be-fookin-lievable!! This DRS shit be broken… 🙁

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Bizarre again. How can that happen? This is supposed to be the pinnacle of (test) cricket and things like this (keep) happen(ing).

Bad luck Aussie.

Klunk
    Free Member

that ball spat off the middle of the pitch!

uwe-r
    Free Member

I’m just following on tinternet but that sounds like a bad call, Aussies will be sick. Edging ahead on the Uwe patented run-rateometer and there back below par due to a dodgy DRS call. Game on, Game on!

psychle
    Free Member

Take your boot off Clarkey or Rogers! 8)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

From tehBeeb text feed;

Appalling decision. I want us to hammer the Aussies, but not like that.

I agree.

uwe-r
    Free Member

It’s like Boykers says, stick two wickets on any score and it doesn’t look so good.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

True but I reckon it will even out again

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes it may even out but every single test has had some howlers with the DRS so what this means is the same number of appalling decisions to each team

Its not helping when they do stuff like this, the catch that never was , the stumping and not set up for trott

Poor very poor
    if this continues we might actually feel sorry for the Aussies 😉

zokes
    Free Member

Take your boot off Clarkey or Rogers!

You’re just sore because it’s the one unsporting tactic you’ve not had a go at first 😆

mrlebowski
    Free Member

if this continues we might actually feel sorry for the Aussies

STEADY ON!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 1,324 total)

The topic ‘A Summer of Cricket – SPOILERS’ is closed to new replies.