Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 1,324 total)
  • A Summer of Cricket – SPOILERS
  • theotherjonv

Australia’s day – just. Great start, good recovery by Bell (again) and support by trott and bairstow, but those 3 wickets at the end plus not having a batter left in swung it back. Interesting tactics at the night watchman, was that almost leg theory? I can feel a strong telegram coming on. Hopefully Broadly will take exception to seeing his mate Jimmy being pelted, and hand out some retribution later. If only we had another 90mph beanpole to do the same from the other end…..

I always say in test cricket, you don’t know if it’s a good score until both sides have had a go. My suspicion is that if England make another 30-40 to get around 325, they’ll consider that at least 75 light, but let’s see what the Aussies make of it later before deciding if that’s a critical issue.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Aye another cracking days play with swings to both teams
    I think both sides will be happy with that – England would have taken it when 30 odd for 3 and australia when Bell was cruising along but the last three wickets makes it Australias day

As said above the real proof of anything is when they bat solet hope the tail does some wagging first

aracer
    Free Member

Interesting tactics at the night watchman

Interesting tactics to use a nightwatchman – I really hate the way England always do that almost as a knee jerk reaction. Exactly what is the point of bringing in a nightwatchman at #9? I mean normally the nightwatchman is a #8 or #9 batter protecting the top order – in this case they’ve promoted the worst batsman on the team to protect the normal #9! Or are England trying to copy Australia’s tactic of having a big 10th wicket stand? Maybe Swanny is after the record for the first #11 to make a ton before somebody else manages it against England – his best is after all only 15 runs short.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😐

grum
    Free Member

England’s tail need to take some lessons from Australia’s. 🙁

uwe-r
    Free Member

300 up is not that bad although all the momentum is with the Aussies, they will feel right on top even though there is a long way to go.

The nightwatchmen decision was a bit strange but you can look at it in various ways. Anderson had a nice little bat, pushed the score on and then can go in and rest ready to bowl. However as Bresnan got out it looks a bit silly – and he isn’t going to have much of a rest the way this is going.

yossarian
    Free Member

at 28-3 yesterday I’d have taken circa 350. Still 100 or so short of a good score but it will be interesting to see how the australian top order approach the innings.

uwe-r
    Free Member

There is a theme developing of inconsistent batting by both sides – the score cards are peppered with poor scores with the odd brilliant knock but there is also some reasonable scores from the tail as well. You feel a good showing by the top order from any of these teams would shift the whole series in their favour, Aussies have a real chance today.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tail wagging a bit…! 🙂

yossarian
    Free Member

twenty/20!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

just arrived back from the airport, i’ll take 400!

yossarian
    Free Member

well done mike 🙄

😉

uwe-r
    Free Member

361 is just about par. Not all the Aussies way today. Come on Jimmy!

psychle
    Free Member

And I’m back… Australia was lucky to end up just in front yesterday, once again a bit of a freak occurrence keeps/gets us back in the game (you’d never tip Smith to take 3 wickets like that normally!), good start this morning, but yet again an 11th wicket partnership swings things back towards the batting team…

Good game so far, evenly poised despite Australia having the ascendency early on and again this morning, in fact with our potentially fragile batting lineup I’d go so far as to put England in the hot seat for a first innings lead

Having said that, it looks to be a perfectly fine pitch (as evidenced by Swann & Broad), so absolutely no friggin reason our top order shouldn’t score well… here’s hoping 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

I think I’d actually put England marginally ahead at the moment – runs on the board and Australia have to bat last. As discussed earlier, batting last is almost always a disadvantage.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Welcome back Psychle – Friday night for you lot, are you all on the Beer?

allthepies
    Free Member

Aussies not learnt the DRS lessons from the 1st test then 😆

psychle
    Free Member

Stupid bloody review Watson! Bugger to lose that wicket at lunch, poor shot to play to the second last ball before the break – yet another solid dominant start from Watson that’s not gone on with… he does this too often 🙁

allthepies
    Free Member

😀

psychle
    Free Member

Contender for “Worst ball ever to take a wicket”? And our shocking use of the DRS continues, Watson to blame for Rogers not reviewing…

allthepies
    Free Member

😆

Umpire reviews remaining Australia 0 (0 successful, 2 unsuccessful); England 2 (0 successful, 0 unsuccessful)

aracer
    Free Member

I expect Clarke is actually relieved that he doesn’t have to make any DRS calls.

psychle
    Free Member

Sigh… Unlucky for Hughes, could of very easily been given not out by the on-field umpire, and I don’t reckon it would’ve been overruled by DRS… Going back to Rogers, how on earth was that given out by Erasmus??

bearnecessities

🙂 Yay

psychle
    Free Member

And on that note I’m off to bed, night all… Perhaps I’ll dream of the days we had a top order that could actually score runs… 😥 Back when I were a lad 🙄

aracer
    Free Member

If Rogers’ dismissal was that obviously not out, why didn’t he review?

aracer
    Free Member

Oh and before I forget, Phil Hughes, Phil Hughes, dirt dirty cheater. Can’t believe he didn’t walk.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Calypso collapso!

😀

theotherjonv

is that another?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

86-5! Or, in upside down Strine, 5-86.

Nasty reading whichever way you look at it!

langylad
    Free Member

Certainly is, i’m getting worried about my 4th and 5th day tickets at Old Trafford

Smudger666

Psychic – we’ve had your pain in the past, you can’t really blame us for singing just now 🙂

Perhaps the aussies will send their guys in in reverse order next test? Or next inningis. Follow on?

yossarian
    Free Member

Swann
    Swann will tear you apart
    Again

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Follow on

More like follow through the way they’re batting!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oh dear.

aracer
    Free Member

Well that’s the easy bit done. Will be a bit tougher now the proper batsmen are coming in.

langylad
    Free Member

What’s the follow on score?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well nearly time for bed here can they keep it up?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mike, one word away from being an overshare there…! 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 1,324 total)

The topic ‘A Summer of Cricket – SPOILERS’ is closed to new replies.