Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 879 total)
  • Game of Thrones Season 7
  • Jamie
    Free Member

One thing that I thought was once top knot was on fire they would be able to keep warm

On that subject. Did he die from the cold? If so, why didn’t they huddle round their fire swords?

The night king knew a dragon was coming and he had 3 spears one for each dragon that he brought with him,

Good plan till he missed.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Episode 7 and the number has gone up to 12 and now 13. 🙂

fisha
    Free Member

It’s a made up land with made up stories and magic so who cares if it jumps time. It’s enjoyable.

Does Arya have to kill the person to have their face?

I wonder whether she will let littlefinger see sansa has the dagger, then kill Sansa , and use her face and the dagger to kill LF!

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s a made up land with made up stories and magic so who cares if it jumps time. It’s enjoyable.

There has to be a certain degree of internal logic otherwise it’s just chaos ladders.

I am still enjoying the show, but it’s a shame we’re rushing towards the end. As sooner we get there, the sooner it’s finished. As well as sometimes it’s nice to enjoy the journey.

Anyway, I’m off to watch Gendry compete in the 10000m against Mo Farah. My money is on Gendry.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Does Arya have to kill the person to have their face?

She doesn’t have to kill them per-se, but they do have to be dead – it ain’t Misson Impossible.

When she was training we saw elderly and sick people voluntarily going to the temple to die to donate their body to them – I can’t remember what they got out of it – painless death maybe.

I don’t think there’s much magic to it – they wash and clean the body and cut off the face to make a mask – how they completely change their body shape and in Ayra’s case become 2ft taller is anyone’s guess.

zilog6128

I also loved those chains…can you imagine how heavy they would have been? Each link would have weighed over a ton! Just happened to be lying around ready to use.

when I first watched it I got the impression the chains were massive too, but having just seen it again – they aren’t. Sort of castle-drawbridge-sized (maybe they came from one of the ruined castles on the wall?) There are a couple of shots though where the perspective makes them look a lot bigger than they are.

I don’t think there’s much magic to it – they wash and clean the body and cut off the face to make a mask – how they completely change their body shape and in Ayra’s case become 2ft taller is anyone’s guess.

Magic? 🙂

jimjam
    Free Member

zilog6128

I also loved those chains…can you imagine how heavy they would have been? Each link would have weighed over a ton! Just happened to be lying around ready to use.

when I first watched it I got the impression the chains were massive too, but having just seen it again – they aren’t.[/quote]

Yeah, more like 10 or 20kg as opposed to a ton.

mahalo

Ta very much Dani, love!

chestrockwell

You lot really over think things! It was ace, just enjoy it while it lasts.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

chestrockwell – Member
    You lot really over think things! It was ace, just enjoy it while it lasts.

+1

It’s the final climax of 8 seasons, I’m not sure I could have taken another 10 episodes of wandering around Westeros achieving nothing and thinning the herd.

Time to stoke up for the finale, lock and load the green stuff then work out who gets to be miserable on the throne.

FuzzyWuzzy

It was obvious JS was going to get out of it somehow even after he plunged into the water so there was no real peril there, although the save by (and death of) Benjen was a cop-out IMO.

I thought he was going to do a pretend zombie shuffle at first and just tag along on the walk to the wall so the rescue thing was the lesser of two evils.

It’s a made up land with made up stories and magic so who cares if it jumps time. It’s enjoyable

There’s a point though when a lot of obviously impossible warping etc. just breaks any immersion in a way that watching dragons melt people doesn’t. Yes it’s still enjoyable but GoT has always been a bit different and part of it’s enjoyment came from intricate plot lines and a sense anyone could die, S7 just seems to have changed to a more formulaic TV series which is a shame.

zilog6128

Yes it’s still enjoyable but GoT has always been a bit different and part of it’s enjoyment came from intricate plot lines and a sense anyone could die, S7 just seems to have changed to a more formulaic TV series which is a shame.

The trouble is it’s so popular now they’ve attracted a mass “brains-off” audience (such as the posters above) and the creators have started to cater for this audience. If you read that avclub link above the director actually admits that due to the popularity of the show it doesn’t need to make sense any more!! So the tone has definitely changed (and it was a conscious decision). Doesn’t really bode well unfortunately.

BoardinBob

Why waste your 3 nuclear weapons on a dozen blokes when you’ve got tens of thousands of zombies to take them out

swavis

The trouble is it’s so popular now they’ve attracted a mass “brains-off” audience

This is what’s a bit annoying now though is that I have to turn my brain off to enjoy it. What made Game of Thrones so good in the first place was that you didn’t know who was going to survive as you half expected someone to meet a grisly end at any moment, it’s just become a bit predictable I suppose.

Still one of the best things on the box by a long way though 😀

jimjam
    Free Member

zilog6128 – Member

The trouble is it’s so popular now they’ve attracted a mass “brains-off” audience (such as the posters above) and the creators have started to cater for this audience. If you read that avclub link above the director actually admits that due to the popularity of the show it doesn’t need to make sense any more!! So the tone has definitely changed (and it was a conscious decision). Doesn’t really bode well unfortunately.

A couple of points. You’ve just insulted the intelligence of everyone above you (on the previous page) by not pointing out specific posts or statements that you don’t agree with. Furthermore the directors on Game of Thrones are guns for hire. They’ll have some latitude over the visuals on a given show but little or nothing in terms of the writing, pacing or overall narrative.

You’ve misread the director’s comments and substituted an interpretation that seems to be little more than your own opinion. At no point does the director admit the show doesn’t need to make sense. He simply says that pacing has had to give way to plot development (we’re in the last act after all) and that they’ve had to be vague about the passage of time in order to suspend belief.

The backlash at plot holes and pacing changes should show that a significant portion of the audience value the quality of the show as opposed to a “mass brains off audience”. The show was never a little cult favourite. It has been massive from day one.

Jamie
    Free Member

The trouble is it’s so popular now they’ve attracted a mass “brains-off” audience

Nah. They’ve lost the source material, but George RR Martin has told the show runners how it all ends, plus they have a limited amount of time to get to that point. So some fast forwarding will happen.

I’m not a fan, but I accept the reasons, and I really don’t think it’s because of the show trying to be populist.

…well, maybe the lack of big name deaths. But again, those big names need to be in the end game to make the viewer give a shit.

zilog6128

A couple of points. You’ve just insulted the intelligence of everyone above you by not pointing out specific posts or statements that you don’t agree with.

Lol, that was a joke. Just trying to get a bite 🙂

llama

No, they did that with the boobs

Tbf, even the books are not really ‘brains on’

theotherjonv

What made Game of Thrones so good in the first place was that you didn’t know who was going to survive as you half expected someone to meet a grisly end at any moment, it’s just become a bit predictable I suppose.

While I sort of agree, I’m not quite as jaded as that yet and I’m clinging on to the hope it could be double bluff. So previously we were ready to lose a favourite character at any moment, now we’ve lifted our eyes from behind the cushion because we don’t think that happens any more – I haven’t yet ruled out there being a mass slaughter of the names next week.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Dragons!

On the time travel front, maths:

maths on carrier pigeons

for TL;DR types:
    [*]takes about 4 days to freeze a lake strong enough to walk on, so the 7 Samurai had to sit it out for 4 days before getting swarmed.[/LI]
    [*]takes about 2 days to send a pigeon as far as the story needed[/*]
    [*]takes about 2 days to send a dragon back again*[/*]

* assuming dragons travel as fast as pigeons, that is

So yeah, Mo Gendry had to run all the way back to the wall, in a snowstorm, in furs, so the plotwriters should probably take that one on the chin, but the plot isn’t so very far out as you might think. But, I’m guessing that was unintentional though.

I’m not sure what to make of the Arya / Sansa plot. It either sucks monster big donkey balls, or it will resolve into some superb double cross where Arya knows LF was trying to play her and has been playing along all along in order to out him as the evil manipulative scum he is.

The can-swim-can’t-swim stuff, well, poetic license. Maybe only some of the zombies have their 50m breast stroke badge.

It’s still by far the best knights and wizards telly going.

oh yeah, Zombie Dragons!

jimjam
    Free Member

mrmonkfinger – Member

Dragons!

takes about 4 days to freeze a lake strong enough to walk on, so the 7 Samurai had to sit it out for 4 days before getting swarmed.
    takes about 2 days to send a pigeon as far as the story needed
    takes about 2 days to send a dragon back again*

* assuming dragons travel as fast as pigeons, that is [/quote]

Except that the lake froze super quick due to the Knights King’s icy presence and his chilly evil balls.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Except that the lake froze super quick due to the Knights King’s icy presence and his chilly evil balls.

Did it?

What I got from that whole bit of the show was, if you’re an army of immortal undead zombies who are unaffected by cold and hunger and stuff, and, the living breathing king of everything has sensibly isolated himself and six of his best friends on a piddly rock in the middle of a not quite frozen lake in the middle of a snowstorm, you don’t really have to do anything to ensure his death. Apart from wait.

Plus, while you’re waiting, something exciting might turn up to save him, like one of those giant lizard things.

The chains were a stretch, that was pretty prescient of him to anticipate dragging it out of a lake.

anagallis_arvensis

No, they did that with the boobs

And now the boobs seemed rationed!! I is disappoint

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

The can-swim-can’t-swim stuff, well, poetic license. Maybe only some of the zombies have their 50m breast stroke badge.

Have we seen zombie swimming teachers yet?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Youse analyse too much. i’m taking this as a let of steam week before all start fawning over the brilliantness of the finale! 😆

perchypanther
    Free Member

Can’t wait until the Night King encounters some maggots.

jimjam
    Free Member

mrmonkfinger – Member

Did it?[/quote]

Clearly, yes. Everywhere he goes he is accompanied by a giant snow cloud and a sudden drop in tempratures. It is known.

Also, the time taken to freeze to death ignores the possibility Thoros died from his wounds, then froze all night. He was mauled by a zombie polar bear after all.

rene59
    Free Member

Somebody broke the thread. Unbreak it please.

oikeith

They were lucky the army of immortal undead zombies didnt have any equipped archers in their ranks!

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Some of them only have one eye – no functional depth perception. Only good at close quarters.

Isn’t Queen Dany supposed to be “breaker of chains” amongst other things? I’m sure she could have prevented the zombie dragon drag-out if that’s the case.

johnners
    Free Member

i’m taking this as a let of steam week before all start fawning over the brilliantness of the finale!

On previous form you may be disappointed, earlier seasons have had action-packed penultimate episodes, and wrap-ups as a finale.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Yeah but this season is running a new & improveddifferent formula.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’m not sure what to make of the Arya / Sansa plot. It either sucks monster big donkey balls, or it will resolve into some superb double cross where Arya knows LF was trying to play her and has been playing along all along in order to out him as the evil manipulative scum he is

Yeah I have a feeling this is one story line that’s going to have me raging after the season finale next week. I’m secretly hoping it’s all deliberate and that Arya is aware of what’s going on and being super-cunning but that doesn’t really tie in with the scenes.

Why argue with Sansa at all about the note if she knows LF is just scheming, she’s a master of poison so why not just kill LF on the sly – without someone to blame I can’t see the Knights of the Vale all storming off home in a huff if LF is killed. I’m still hoping there’s a clever twist/reason behind it I hadn’t thought of and am going to be embarrassed I questioned the writers’ ability…

If they really have turned Arya back into a naive little girl they’ve ruined a character they spent a lot of time developing and deserve a lot of Internet nerd-rage as a result.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

If they really have turned Arya back into a naive little girl they’ve ruined a character they spent a lot of time developing and deserve a lot of Internet nerd-rage as a result.

Or maybe she’s becoming a faceless (wo)man?

jimjam
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure Arya kills Cersei so I don’t think they’ll have dumbed her down. I think she’s on to little finger but is using the process to toughen Sansa up a bit.

anagallis_arvensis

Arya killed Brienne and will murder Cersi using her face

perchypanther
    Free Member

[/quote]

Whilst standing on Tyrions shoulders presumably?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

coroner’s note to read: cause of death, scotch kiss

Jamie
    Free Member

When you’re bored at work….

Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 879 total)

The topic ‘Game of Thrones Season 7’ is closed to new replies.