Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Gaiter love best £20 i have spent!!!
  • postierich
    Free Member

Just back in from another wet ride and probably will be heading out tonight as I still have dry boots/socks.Was wearing Shimano boots with sealskins but water was still getting into the boot now the problem has been solved with these Goretex gaiters from Berghaus.No more having to stuff paper into the boots I would recommend these ones with the Shimano boots as they clip onto the first velcro strap.No issues with getting to hot only problems is you look very ramblerish

DSCF2463[1] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

D0NK

have you got a 48″ inside leg or do those gaiters go upto above your knee?

TBH agree gaiters are a cracking idea but I’ve no clue how well they would integrate with rest of your cycle wardrobe. Waterproof shin panels over overshoes do a similar job (endura don’t make clip bibs any more tho 🙁 )

postierich
    Free Member

They are the knee length version wearing them with spds and no problems!

hora
    Free Member

I’m going to purse my lips. Those are g’ay

richi
    Free Member

man the do look mega gay lol be like wearing waders

postierich
    Free Member

😉 wanna try my cough spit road bike!

snakebite
    Free Member

Scruff laughed when I suggested it a few years back…. do you use ‘Fame’ or ‘Flashdance’ legwarmers in Spring? 8)

postierich
    Free Member

looks crap I know even worse with my postie waterproof shorts!

gaiters by Richard Munro, on Flickr

Lummox

Ignore the haters!

Welcome to the world of dry warm feet and lower legs, puddles are fun again

mattjg
    Free Member

If they’re not boil-in-the-bag then you’re not trying hard enough.

johnhighfield
    Free Member

Yea – a good practical idea for those of us still going out in the wet & mud!

I have a pair of Shimano MW80 goretex boots & wear sealskin socks BUT the wet was running down my legs & into the socks or boots if I wasn’t wearing the sealskin socks. I looked at an old pair of walking gaiters but they were too baggy with my bib longs…..

So I bought a pait of black rubber gloves (yes I know I could have had pink or yellow!) & cut off the arm part. I now wear these tight against my ankle & over the top of my boots / socks so all the wet stays out of my boots…. and they just look like a 4″ extension of the boots. Job done!

Necessity IS the mother of invention!

scaredypants

I wear chaps instead

fronts are waterproof but I admit my bare buttocks can get a bit of a chill

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A pair of army goretex eBay specials, with a pair if shorts over the top, as the trews are of he elasticated waste variety, and the shorts old them up. The trews sit over my shimano boots, like a gaiter. Looks bloody awful, but dry feet are a joy….

bigyinn
    Free Member

Please tell me that wasnt actually Hora, I need mind bleach (and wax) now.

the_lecht_rocks

where from for £20 postie ?

TIA

postierich
    Free Member
    project
    Free Member

I always used to wear them when commuting in the rain, they work well, nice dry feet and legs.

But you do get some stupid comments like above,

the_lecht_rocks

no large left – i’m a size 43 – assume that’ll be the large then ?

franksinatra

Waterproof shorts and waterproof gaiters! You are a genius, you have just invented waterproof trousers (albeit trousers that leak at the knee)

postierich
    Free Member

I got the large they come up to just below my Knee cap 5ft 10″

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Ya big Jessie you should be banned for this thread, gaitors my arse 😆

postierich
    Free Member

tried waterproof trousers=boil in the bag and no map pocket and still able to wear knee pads with shorts and 1 min to take off!! NEXT 😉

zippykona

Waterproof shorts and waterproof gaiters! You are a genius, you have just invented waterproof trousers (albeit trousers that leak at the knee)

Mr Sinatra I salute you.

PhilChap

Surely they would limit post ride pub visits Rich, were they Sascha’s idea?

Junkyard
    Free Member

NO idea why you proper men who use the term gay like that would prefer being wet …is it stupidity?

I have thought about using some but the endura stealth just cover the neoprene of my Lakes so i have no need.
    Also thought about the rubber glove as well

No fun in having et cold feet for hours on end and it just makes you uncomfortable. Whilst this is ok for an hour or so its not great for hours on end

Rich
    Free Member

I’ve used my ankle length lightweight ones, worked well at keeping my feet dry.

I wore mine underneath Fox Shuttle trousers, to stop rain water running down them.

postierich
    Free Member

Phil it means no excuses and grabbing a lift home after the pub! Fancy a ride tomorrow evening and a couple of pints @ the Strickland Arms.

ton

nowt wrong with good common sense Rich. it comes with getting old.

postierich
    Free Member

slow and sensible is where its @ Ton you heading over this way anytime soon?

ton

i can do mate, just shaking illness off at present.
    but a ride and a pint will be ace when i am a bit better.

PhilChap

Could be persuaded if the ride is flat and short. Somewhat unfit for some reason….

scaredypants

the marigold gloves gaiters work OK but cutting them to be tight enough without making your feet turn blue is a bit of a challenge

scaredypants

TurnerGuy – Member
    or how about these “Conical Latex Ankle Seals” here

oooooh, you might have me there !

(do you promise that you weren’t googling “latex seals” when you found it ?!)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I use a pair of Berghaus Glacier ankle-gaiters with my MT90 boots when its really filthy. Altura Atack X waterproof trousers over the top and bingo, dry from the waist down. 🙂

D0NK

as the trews are of he elasticated waste variety, and the shorts old them up

what you need sir are a set of braces, being fat of thigh, skinny of waist and tight of wallet (should have stumped up the extra for bibs) my stealths kept falling down, no longer a problem.
    I predict a certain amount of mockage for this post.

Might be a silly question Rich but what prevents them from ending up concertinaed around your ankles like nora batty’s stockings? Knee length seems a bit overkill (and sweaty), reckon something mid calf would do the trick.

tomaso
    Free Member

Not sure about such long gaitors but I have been contemplating the shortie ones. Its never dry in Cumbria and Yorkshire and these make all year riding more comfortable. A mate swears by his combined with MT91s – it just stops the water going in the cuff of the boot.

As for pubs, isn’t the Strickland Arms a bit posh for grubby mnountainbikers? Should be there next week after a ride over Whitbarrow Scar.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Over the top of MT90s. Ankles get a little sweaty, but its just ankles, not whole legs. They’re great in snow too, stops it getting into the boots.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

do you promise that you weren’t googling “latex seals” when you found it ?!)

yes, they were discussed previously on the muddy moles forum.

or there is always this option:

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

So I bought a pait of black rubber gloves (yes I know I could have had pink or yellow!) & cut off the arm part. I now wear these tight against my ankle & over the top of my boots / socks so all the wet stays out of my boots…. and they just look like a 4″ extension of the boots. Job done!

?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Gaiter love best £20 i have spent!!!’ is closed to new replies.