Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • gail porter is apparently angry at lack of care when sectioned
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14843519

well thats what the headline indicates but doesnt sound it from the interview…

am i missing something? another article perhaps….?

BoardinBob

She always makes me think of the alien from the 1st star trek movie

binners

She always makes me think about that photo of her that was projected onto the houses of parliament 😀

deviant
    Free Member

No surprise there….dont think i’ve ever been out to somebody who is happy about getting sectioned….she was suffering with insomnia, had substance abuse problems and bi-polar depression….while trying to care for a child?

Easy for her to criticise her treatment now but i bet at the time she was as mad as a hatter and had very little insight into her condition and problems.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

i bet

🙄

philconsequence
    Free Member

to be fair deadly, the criteria for being sectioned generally involves the principle that the person is either a risk to themselves or to others. bi-polar affective disorder mixed with illicit substance misuse isnt a good mix… at the point if being unwell enough to warrant sectioning under the mental health act its highly unlikely she would’ve been showing much insight, if she had been then she would’ve come in voluntarily

dirtyrider
    Free Member

dont think i’ve ever been out to somebody who is happy about getting sectioned

really? half of them love it, people actively try and get sectioned, for all manner of reasons, usually benefits and money though

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I listened to the whole interview yesterday…not just the snippet posted above.

The idea I got from listening to it was that she wasn’t really that bitter about being sectioned, but wasn’t really that happy with the treatment and aftercare during and subsequent to it.

I’d typed a load of other stuff but have just deleted it…I have other stuff to be concerned with rather than arguing with nutters about nutters 😀

philconsequence
    Free Member

ahhhh more to the interview than that clip would suggest… care to divulge? (my original question still stands… i dont understand the title of the clip on the bbc site in relation to the content of the clip!)

nothings more important than engaging in lively debate with me DD!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I don’t know…I listened to the interview and then the next fifteen minutes were a blur as I whacked my left index finger with the square edge of a special hammer – and removed quite a bit of skin (I could see flesh underneath). I screamed for around five minutes, then I cried for a bit, couldn’t find my first aid kit in the van so had to improvise a dressing from kitchen roll and duct tape. I was pretty close to being sectioned myself.

As you know more than most here, there will be a lot more to the story than even 5live could yank out on a half hour segment.

philconsequence
    Free Member

sounds nasty

*man hug*

excellent use of gaffa tape, i award you many man-points x

PiknMix
    Free Member

dirtyrider – Member
    really? half of them love it, people actively try and get sectioned, for all manner of reasons, usually benefits and money though

Just out of interest have you ever been sectioned?

derek_starship
    Free Member

Wot Binners said.

Blimey, how times have changed.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Now she could be a body double for Matt Lucas. Yikes!

samuri
    Free Member

People also get themselves sectioned so they don’t go down for big crimes.

Like one flew over the cuckoo’s nest and futurama.

beanieripper
    Free Member

who cares, shes a bald nutjob

julianwilson
    Free Member

Dunno about recent bbc interview, but I read an article by/about her in a magazine lying around at work (sorry, can’t remember if it was a sunday supplement or a women’s magazine). In that article from the way she described a typical day on the ward it did sound pretty rubbish even when I put my professional hat on and adjust for either ‘unsatisfied’ or ‘I love this place and never want to leave’ variation. Our local adult acute unit is way better than the way she described her stay.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

did being sectioned make her mad?

Chicken/Egg

I’ll get me coat…

RustySpanner

OlI listened to the whole interview.

She came across very well indeed and deserves a lot of praise for talking abut her depression.
    People who are sectioned are still people and deserve respect and compassion.

She was treated very poorly indeed and I really respect the fact that she is now attempting to highlight the lack of decent care sometimes offered to those unlucky enough to be in her situation.

As to beanierippers comments, one in four people will suffer from a mental illness during their life.
    I hope if this happens to you or yours that those suffering are kept away from arseholes like you.

Del

+1.
    the whole scenario is a scary business. she also suffered from cancer, no?

white101

not sure if it was cancer but she had alpecia(?) as a result of stress and breakdown of marriage

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Just out of interest have you ever been sectioned?

nope,

but i worked on an acute ward for long enough to see it happening

philconsequence
    Free Member

think the bbc could’ve done with uploading more of the interview by the sounds of it! shame she felt she experienced a lack of care, acute units aren’t pleasant places for patients and they’re definitely not an ideal setting for long lasting effective therapeutic work.

too many patients, not enough time, not enough staff to do a decent amount of 1:1 work in most cases 🙁 but acute units serve a purpose… when someone has been sectioned and needs to be in a safe place with staff that can handle the sharp end of mental illness there arent many other options. they’re not designed for long stays and its rare that long term therapeutic work is initiated whilst a patient is likely to only stay for a short time.

the shorter time a patient stays the better, its a pretty traumatic experience for most and there are teams doing work with patients who have been sectioned doing psychological testing to see if post traumatic stress disorder could be diagnosed and attributed to the sectioning experience.

patients should either: be discharged back into the community with a care package in place/planned, normally with a community psychiatric nurse, consultant psychiatrist and other therapies; or patients could move onto other, usually less secure wards with a view to rehabilitating them in one way or another… usually involving psychotherapy and occupational therapy, sorting out medication over a longer period if it hasn’t already been addressed in the acute unit.

as nurses we try our hardest to help every patient, everyone has different problems and different experiences, mental illness sometimes does a good job in effecting the patients perception of that experience (i’m not saying that was the case with gail porter).

acute units are a response to the risk a proportion of mentally unwell people present to themselves or other people when the illness reaches a certain point, they’re often intense places and ideally patients shouldn’t spend too long in them! i hope gail porter has a good team now she is out of hospital, and its good she’s presenting as grounded and self aware as she does in that interview.

sorry for rambling!

LycraLout
    Free Member

I have other stuff to be concerned with rather than arguing with nutters about nutters

ehh, this is STW y’know

philconsequence
    Free Member

dirtyrider, where abouts do/did you work?

there’s a few of us mental health people on here i’ve noticed 🙂

be wary of barnsleymitch, he’ll pretend to be your friend then entrap you in something knitted by his lady.

Woody
    Free Member

at the point if being unwell enough to warrant sectioning under the mental health act its highly unlikely she would’ve been showing much insight

That is my (relatively limited) experience too and while ‘mistakes’ can and will happen, it is obviously much better to err on the side of caution.

I’m glad that the interviewer clarified that the ‘couple of Jesus’s and naked man’ were patients rather than staff.

konabunny
    Free Member

am i missing something?

I assumed that that headline was drawn from the (not really elaborated upon in the interview) statement that was only seen by a doctor three times during her detention and even then only briefly.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

was only seen by a doctor three times

I imagine she saw nurses though…

konabunny
    Free Member

Possibly – hard to know when it wasn’t discussed in the clip the BBC uploaded!

beanieripper
    Free Member

Rustyspanner thanks for the kind comments, careful what you wish for other people, karma is a funny old thing….btw it was a joke but i suppose your too barking mad to get it!

julianwilson
    Free Member

I imagine she saw nurses though…

tsy, I have a lot of faith in the help nurses can offer folk (but of course hugely biased) -unless she means ‘consultant’ when she says she didn’t see a doctor more than 3 times, or if she often refused to see them, three medical reviews in a compulsory (ie ‘sectioned’) admission of that length is really, really poor in my professional opinion/experience.

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

I’ve been sectioned a few times now (well about fifteen actually)over the last thirty years, and it’s not very @kin funny at all. Pretty much every time you get treated fairly ‘kin poorly, and I’m really really not having a go at psychiatric staff here, more the system and workload that they have to labour under.

While you are secured, it’s extremely difficult to see a doctor or consultant and follow up support on release is usually very patchy and any kind of counselling or talking therapies are almost impossible to get unless you can afford to get them privately, which fortunately I could. If I was poor and mentally ill, I suspect that my overall position in the scheme of things may be a lot worse.

RustySpanner

btw it was a joke but i suppose your too barking mad to get it!

And such a funny one too. Let’s have another read so we can really appreciate your sophisticated wit and humour:

beanieripper – Member

who cares, shes a bald nutjob

Sorry for the arsehole comment, if it offended you.
    It was a bit much, so apologies.

I’m sure someone with your quickfire wit can laugh it off. 😀

beanieripper
    Free Member

apology accepted, actually its something thats not too far from home, quickfire sarcasm doesnt come across too well on tinterweb…

PiknMix
    Free Member

dirtyrider – Member
    nope,

but i worked on an acute ward for long enough to see it happening

oh your one of them 😉

KT1973
    Free Member

I think the the question on everyone ones lips is……
    ……..would you? 😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hmmm…not on mine anyway.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘gail porter is apparently angry at lack of care when sectioned’ is closed to new replies.