Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Gaick pass with panniers?
  • ton

ridden up Glen Tromie and Gaick in the past, on mtb with day sack.
    thinking of doing route 7 but putting some offroad diversions in.
    just after gaick lodge where the path becomes singletrack, how passable would it be on sturdy tourers with panniers.

asking because my memory is fubar and I cant remember.

trail_rat
    Free Member

climb up to the top no bother . between the top rivers will be a bollocks.

basically the river before loch an duin to where it joins the double track before stronphadruig lodge will be a push .

its a traverse on singletrack with significant landslides of late

then it moves onto a bog trott

followed by a decent down a very steep hill (with sheep path) to the river and back onto double track.

Depends how strong your feeling to drag the bike through that 2km stretch – the rest imo makes it worth it .

ton

it will be with the wife. we will take the a9 side route. cheers.

kcal

what trail_rat says. I’ve done it as a long way home from Blair Atholl. I suffered from low rider front panniers too, the track is challenging at a moderate level, lots of rocks to catch at both sides even unburdened.

Didn’t know about the landslips.

chickenman

There is one landslip of about 70m.
    Some sporting singlegtrack in the vicinity:
    [/url]DSCN1254 by rick.campbell, on Flickr [/img]

kcal

just worked out where that must be chickenman. Nice 🙂

(contours look a bit close together..)

chickenman

Kcal, very well built ponytrack that is 100% ridable. Included in a loop: Gaick S-N, then Wade Rd, Phones high road to Loch Cuaich, up over Bogha-Cloiche to the Sgor Dearg decent.

scotroutes

Tony (and anyone else coming up the NCN7 through Drumochter) – you might get one or two additional diversions/delays as they are currently doing some groundworks in the area, working out what’s required for the dualling. Nothing major, just be aware that the cycle path might be even more gravelly than usual.

kcal

where are you located chickenman? I’m a bit further up the road in Elgin — I’m guessing you didn’t just stumble on that loop by accident!

chickenman

I’m in Auld Reekie. Somebody on FB (lives in the Borders, very active on the monster brexit dedebate on here!)mentioned the stalker’s path above Gaick Lodge saying he would never ride it…talk about an invitation to give it a bash! Rode it two years ago as a hike up & ride down. The Wade Rd to Phones is really good as is the ride over to Loch Cuaich. The hike a bike up onto Bogha is grim and you need to loop N over the summit on wind clipped heather to avoid the swamp on the plateau.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Gaick pass with panniers?’ is closed to new replies.