• This topic has 45 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Gah! Just broke my oakleys
  • Stoner
    Free Member

But I can at least make them look as sad as I feel now 🙁

Only had them two years. Got them for a bargin £60 in a sale – transition lenses too. Dropped them on the tile floor and *grak*, now only good for a Cyclops.

Anyway, I cant justify any more Oakleys: they cost too much every time I break them or scratch the lens. So Im going to go the other way and get a couple of pairs of cheap and cheerfuls.

What do we think of the Shimano ones on £20 sale @ PX?

or the Dolce Vita 3x lens ones for £15?

Any others?

qtip

Contact Oakley to see if they’ll fit your lenses to a new frame. I did this years ago on a pair of Oakleys that were well out of warranty and they replaced the frame for free – even changed the colour at my request.

tang
    Free Member

Endura or tifosi? Cheapish with triple lens or transitions depending on model.

clubber
    Free Member

+1 on contacting Oakley – they’re very helpful IME (and so they should be 🙂 )

Stoner
    Free Member

Normally I would give the Oakley warranty team a nudge but the lenses are not in good enough condition to make it worthwhile now.

neninja
    Free Member

Oakley replace frames and lenses at a heavily discounted rate if you break them. Can’t remember what the scheme is called but it would be worth phoning their customer service team.

00800 6255 3985

If not get the frame replaced and get some Walleva lenses for them from Ebay. I just bought a set for some Split jackets and they are as good a the Oakley optics.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Oakley have the best customer service I’ve ever seen.

Stoner
    Free Member

OK, will see what they say first.

Stoner
    Free Member

Walleva dont make Minute 2.0 lenses.
    In fact Oakley want a fortune for them too.
    I guess theyre too old.
    So around and about, I think the answer is to get some inexpensive new ones.

will check out endura

Stoner
    Free Member

BTW the last time I got in touch with Oakley it was when Jr Mk1 tried to sand the pavement with some old Jackets – so old they couldnt replace the lenses but offered a 40% on new.

That still comes out at £100+ so hence going for new cheapos this time.

stumpy01

+1 for send them back to Oakley requesting a new frame.

A mate of mine has some A-wires that he stood on and bent the frames beyond repair. He sent them back for a replacement frame. One of the lenses had a large scratch on from a previous ding.
    I think they charged him £17.50 for the ‘new frame’ and when he got them back, the scratch in the lens had miraculously been repaired too. Must have just chucked him a new pair of glasses for £17.50 – think they were £130 new.

stumpy01

Bloc make some nice glasses if Oakley prove a no-go….

RustySpanner

I know it’s a cliche, but the cheap Bolle/Bloc safety glasses really are very good.

Far better then the easily scratched, distorting Madison D’Arcs I’ve suffered with over the last few years.

I’ve tried the son in law’s Oakleys and they really are lovely – but unless I could find a big discount, I’m out.

brooess
    Free Member

+1 for speaking to Oakley.
    I had some 5 year old fives which I snapped the arm on. They couldn’t repair or replace it but gave me 50% off some new Minutes – which was cheaper than buying anyone else’s. Don’t forget quality of Oakley lenses is v good.
    IMO buy Oakley once and you’ll never need to pay full price again

edlong
    Free Member

No one’s mentioned fauxleys / jokelys yet?

edlong
    Free Member

No one’s mentioned fauxleys / jokelys yet?

Stoner
    Free Member

IMO buy Oakley once and you’ll never need to pay full price again

I dont disagree, but even 40-50% discount still makes them 3 times the price of the ones I posted above. Even with warranty replacements and bargin buys, Ive probably spent over £200 on my last 3 Oakleys. That’s too much for something that really I treat too badly.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Minutes on your big fizzog?
    Crikey……

Stoner
    Free Member

are DX still doing them edlong?

I_Ache
    Free Member

I’m going the other way at the moment, I have broken 2 pairs of fakelys (that I loved the look of) this year so am going to get some real ones.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Don’t want to p*** you of but why don’t you just learn to look after them!?? I’ve had some Rudy Projects with interchangeable lenses for about 8 years and only now the orange lenses are getting a little scuffed! Doh.

allthepies
    Free Member

FTW

Stoner
    Free Member

fair point, well made.
    But my glasses go everywhere with me – workshop/field/coppice/riding/bar/children rich environments etc etc and they have a hard life. Im going to give up even trying to look after them and go disposable.

xiphon
    Free Member

I wear my Oakleys every day (close enough), and they’ve not got a scratch on them since I bought them new 4 years ago (Oakley Straight Jackets).

But then again, after paying £120 or so for them, I had to look after them!

Northwind

Can’t say for sure without knowing exactly what they’re made of but I reckon that’d take me 5 minutes to plastic weld back together and that’d be mostly waiting for the soldering iron to heat up. Then a couple more to tidy the join.

Stoner
    Free Member

I was thinking of drilling a couple of small opposing holes and epoxying the joint and a metal wire biscuit.

But then I pressed Purchase on some DX fauxly instead.
    Two pairs to test out for <£15.

nickc

Superglue?

CountZero

Superglue is useless for sticking any kind of plastic that’s going to be stressed, which sunglasses will be at that point.
    The only way to fix that would be a small hole drilled either side, with a steel pin inserted, then the plastic melted and pressed together, which either requires heat, or an adhesive that melts the plastic, but I’m not sure there’s such a thing for the plastic that Oakley use for their frames. It would be do-able, but if the lenses are scratched, then the investment in time probably isn’t worth it, as the OP says.

unovolo
    Free Member

Several pairs of Bloc specs in my local TK MAX today ranging from £12 upto a astronomical £14.99.

Got a older pair of Blocs that I use at work and on the bike which sem to wearing well.

I’m surprised dropping them caused them to snap though,I’d imagine the bridge must already have had some stress/damage to it?

murf
    Free Member

I broke some 8 year old Oakleys a few years ago, the week before I went on holiday. I sent them in with a nice letter and got new frames for free and returned within 3 working days!
    Prob spent upwards of £500 on Oakley sunglasses between me and the Mrs in the last 15 years though. Still have and wear all of them.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

But then I pressed Purchase on some DX fauxly instead.

Do they do “extra wide” then? 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

chrismac

Another one for contact Oakley. They sent me new nose and ear rubber bits for free when I asked about buying them

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Another bloc fan here.

Like my Polorised ones , no idea what they’re called but I can still use my IPhone and see my far display with them, unlike my (sold) Maui’s.

gonzy
    Free Member

+1 for contacting oakley first…
    if its a no-go then look at eyewearoutlet.co.uk for some cheap deals on a new pair of oakleys

kcal

Stoner, I’ve been really impressed with Tifosis if you can find a pair that you like. Good quality (to me) work well, and aren’t quite in the same stomach churning league when/if you break them / lose them..

I find them comfier on the bike, too.

Stoner
    Free Member

I’ll see what the fauxleys are like first, then if theyre not up to it will start moving up the brand notches.
    Im not going to bother Oakley as a 40% discount isnt enough to make me want to spend so much money on something that gets a lot of abuse.

FuzzyWuzzy

You just dropped them and not stepped on them to? Surprised they cracked like that just being dropped. Still well worth sending them in and explaining what happened, they’ll likely just replace the whole thing for a nominal charge not offer you 40% discount

batfink
    Free Member

this is probably getting boring now, but:

My GF sat/jumped-on on her (wire framed) Oakleys a week after getting them. Not just bent….. completely flattened. We were in town at the time and so went straight to the Oakley store.

“Hmmmm, unfortunately we won’t be able to fix them here, we’ll have to send them away”
    “how much is that going to cost?”
    “Oh, no worries – we’ll just get it done”

Got them back 2 weeks later – brand new frame and an apology it took so long.

sc-xc

I sent my sunglasses off to sunglassfix.com and they replaced the lenses with two bits of wood. Not impressed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Gah! Just broke my oakleys’ is closed to new replies.