Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Gaffer tape a bottle cage to top tube – will it work?
  • GaryLake
    Free Member

Doing my first 24 solo, planning on using bottles but my backup/2nd bike doesn't have any bottle cage mounts.

I figure some inner tube on the top tube followed by the cage and a load of gaffer tape will hold it – is this doomed to fail?

DezB
    Free Member

I've zip tied a bottle cage to my bike. But it does have 1 working cage mount so I think that helps.
    I do have a spare round the tube mount that doesn't fit any of my frames – you can have that if it fits yours.
    Like this. (XL size)

twinklydave

Do the innertube – gaffer tape bit then back it up with a couple of big zip ties, done up frame crushingly tight and you'll be reet.

Worked for me for the best part of a year on my old bike.

thomthumb
    Free Member

got a rubber mount from decathlon that works well.

i know SJS stock a few 'unusual' bottle mounts.

Skoolshoes
    Free Member

One of these perhaps?

cookeaa

A few Sturdy Zip ties and a bit of pipe lagging or inner tube to protect the frame should work…

Jerome
    Free Member

Camelback ??

DezB
    Free Member

The thing skoolshoes has put a pic of – they do not work offroad. Well, not with a bottle in anyway.

jon1973
    Free Member

Camelback ??

If I was riding for 24 hours I'd want more than a Camelbak I think. A few extra bottles would be handy.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

that gives me an idea to solve my Zesty post re similar subject ta STW

B_Leach
    Free Member

Gaffa tape can be used to fix anything – fact, and if it doesn't work you didn't use enough. Should be fine!
    +1 for lagging the frame so you don't damage it too

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Plug up tube drain holes, fill frame with coke, fit camelbac tube to BB drain hole, zip tie tube to seattube, pass end of tube through a saddle with open 'love channel', shove tube up anus. Ride hard.

Et Voila! Coke enema achieves hydration without having to remove hands to reach for bottle, uninterupted breathing.

If the coke starts to run out of steam, pop a couple of mentos in via the seattube, that should get it running again for a few more laps before you can top up again.

Good luck BTW.

Waderider
    Free Member

Have a look at plastic coasters designed for holding fishing reels to beachcasters. They are rock solid and do a great job on round tubes, I used them 'back in the day'.

http://www.breakaway-tackle.com/product_info.php?cPath=58&products_id=344

(URL isn't working for me for some reason……….)

GaryLake
    Free Member

Cheers guys.

Didn't want to run a camelbak as worried about chaffing or back/shoulder issues after 24 hours.

I've got a crew, in fact, Team Syncros have agreed to take us under their wing and help my crew as they're first timers. I figure one bottle should see me two laps and we should be trackside so I can grab a new bottle every two laps.

Obviously I'm banking on a dry race and no mechanicals and won't be needing the spare bike, but figured I should find and test a solution before hand.

If gaffer tape, lagging and zip ties doesn't work, I'll try some of those other suggestions.

ADH: seeing as the spare bike is my Five, imagine the amount of fluids I could fit in the downtube/swingarm!

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

thomthumb – Member
    got a rubber mount from decathlon that works well.

i know SJS stock a few 'unusual' bottle mounts.

Zefal make these, which is why I think Decathlon tend to stock them. The Zefal jobbies work as well.

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/13846/Zefal-Gizmo-Bottle-Cage.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Gaffer tape a bottle cage to top tube – will it work?’ is closed to new replies.