Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Gaddafi's son killed by NATO strike
  • bruneep

Will it all kick off big time now? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13251570

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think it’s been kicking off for a while now, so I doubt Gaddafi’s son and three grandsons getting killed will make much difference.

And hey, civilians always get hurt and killed when you’re trying to crush an opposing side – everyone knows that. That’s what happened in Iraq and Afghanistan for example – and lots of civilians it was too. It’s simply one of those things which we have to accept and not let it detract from the reason why we’re bombing Libya – which is to protect civilians (and not get our hands on their oil btw).

Kevevs
    Free Member

– which is to protect civilians (and not get our hands on their oil btw).

what else. Some nice slick oil, i can feel that lovely oil sliding through my veins.mmmmmmmmmmmmm, so tasty, so rich with death and human pain and blood:)

backhander
    Free Member
    kaesae
    Free Member

Firstly there is a lot of money to be made by going to war! it’s one of the most profitable buisness’s that have ever existed.

Ignore all of the bullshit and focus on the actions of those involved and what is actually happening, politics is just a smoke screen, it keeps most people distracted while the important events happen behind the scenes.

😀

gusamc
    Free Member

Aye, if the snp win in Scotland we can probably go in there as well, at least we’ll save money on travel costs as we won’t need carriers, it’s a lot nearer than Syria, sorry Libya.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

trying to crush an opposing side

No, no, no. The UN resolution is to protect the civilians from both sides of a civil war. You must have the wrong country.

epicyclo

gusamc – Member
    Aye, if the snp win in Scotland we can probably go in there as well, at least we’ll save money on travel costs as we won’t need carriers, it’s a lot nearer than Syria, sorry Libya.

Scotland was England’s Afghanistan, and Rome’s.

You’re welcome to try. 🙂

mooman
    Free Member

am I the only one feeling sympathy for Gaffafi?

Britain is clearly in the wrong – its so blatant.
    How does our government get away with it?

Cameron should be up for war crimes.

yossarian
    Free Member

Scotland was England’s Afghanistan, and Rome’s.

Dream on mel gibson

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

According to the last discussion on this on STW its all above board and inline with the UN resolution. No non military targets thus this villa was a military traget – although this is the second attempt to assasinate Gadaffi its clearly a military target 🙄

NO arming of the rebels although Bahrain is sending guns and bombs and we are keeping the port available to the rebels so they can get their bombs and guns and Bahrain is clearly doing this with UK consent ( not a chance they would do it otherwise)

It clearly stinks to high heaven. Only the stupidly gung ho or hopelessly naive or those blind to any fault of the tories would think otherwise.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Gaddafi’s son killed by NATO strike

Allegedley.

anokdale
    Free Member

Having sent the last two years working in Tripoli i do not believe a word from Gaddafi camp, Mousa the liar came up with a well rehearsed speech relating to a low profile son, it is also interesting that Gaddafi was there and got away unharmed !!and remember the daughter that was killed when the Yanks missed him years ago studied medicine in Tripoli last year !! it is well known all the regimes villas have several floors underneath for protection and by now the Swiss company that built them will have handed over the plans, NATO is playing this one very carefully in regards to airstrikes i honestly believe this building must have presented a signature to make it a legitimate target. I recently took a press crew from ITN into Misurata for a period of time it was very frustrating watching people die as a result of mortar, grad and rocket strikes hitting residental areas,NATO would not attack Gaddafis lot for fear of injuring civillians, the hospital where we were many times was horrendous, the worst place i have been in relation to numbers and blast / shrapnel injuries ever, even worse than Bosnia, Gaddafi is responsible for that, the whole thing is about getting rid of Gaddafi and the sooner the better for me and all those he threatened to crush like cockroaches for daring to speak their mind and ask for a change, something we all take for granted on this forum.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

anokdale – so you think removal of a recognised leader of a country by armed rebellion financed and supported from outside the country is acceptable?

Completely illegal and in clear breach of the terms of the UN resolution

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Classic TJ – ignores every point made in the previous post and comes up with complete irrelevancies.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The leader himself is in good health – he wasn’t harmed.” “He was playing and talking to his father and mother and his nieces and nephews and other visitors when he was attacked and killed.”

so gaddafi was in the room that blew up but got away unharmed I smell BS but I smeel it from both sides given what TJ says. It is clear we are taking sides but trying our best to not break [ but we will happily stretch] the UN manadate.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the whole thing is about getting rid of Gaddafi and the sooner the better for me

so you think removal of a recognised leader of a country by armed rebellion financed and supported from outside the country is acceptable?

Completely illegal and in clear breach of the terms of the UN resolution

Classic TJ – ignores every point made in the previous post and comes up with complete irrelevancies*.

I am praying for you reading abilities now 🙄 you may disagree with his analysis but that attack was BS Whoppit
    * i am not sure that regime change is an irrelevancy as it is illegal under international law

anokdale
    Free Member

TJ – Yes, and as you are not an International Lawyer but a forum dweller (barrack room lawyer) your not qualified in any way to decide on legal points, you are of course entitled to your opinions which for some in this World is not an option.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

anokdale – while there may be points at which it is contentious there can be no doubt that attempting to remove Gadaffi by force from outside and arming rebels are both in breach of the UN resolution.

How about if we incited an armed rebellion against Cameron and this was supported financed and armed by china lets say. is that acceptable?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Regime change,” insisted the Attorney General, “cannot be the object of military action.” Any invasion which had that goal would be unambiguously illegal under international law.

I am not saying that I cannot see why it would be a good thing,in some circumstances, but it is not up for debate as to whether it is legal.
    We could debate whether we are trying to do this and IMHO we are but trying to do it in a way that looks like we are not. We seem to have picked sides there.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

We seem to have picked sides there.

Most definitely.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Allegedley.

Oh yes of course, I had forgotten about the famous NATO ‘smart bombs’ which only ever kill military personal and not civilians. The documented 100,000 dead civilians in Iraq for example, all must have been killed by anti-western forces – it’s the only explanation.

Having sent the last two years working in Tripoli i do not believe a word from Gaddafi camp

A few weeks ago you claimed that 99% of people in Tripoli did not support Gaddafi. Far from refusing to support the Libyan government, there has been intense resistance to the rebellion, with towns being defended, lost, and then retaken. If 99% of people in Tripoli didn’t support Gaddafi it would have all been over in a matter of days, and we wouldn’t be witnessing this indefinite stalemate now. So you’ll have to forgive me if I take your claims with a pinch of salt.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

If an attack against Gaddafi was launched to cause regime change, it would be illegal, since in itself it is not protecting civilians.

If an attack is made on the leader and commandant in chief of Libyan military forces and those forces are causing a threat to civilians, then its perfectly justifiable under the UN convention.

By happy coincidence, the commander of Libyan Military forces, happens to be a certain Mr Gaddafi…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

If 99% of people in Tripoli didn’t support Gaddafi it would have all been over in a matter of days,

ernie, who believes they’ve removed the word “gullible” from the dictionary…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

By happy coincidence, the commander of Libyan Military forces, happens to be a certain Mr Gaddafi

But he hasn’t been killed 😕

Are you saying that killing Libyans who aren’t Col. Gaddafi is ok as long as the aim is to kill Col. Gaddafi? ….. a bit like saying that killing people who aren’t part of the rebellion is ok as long as crushing the rebellion is the aim.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

If an attack against Gaddafi was launched to cause regime change, it would be illegal, since in itself it is not protecting civilians.

If an attack is made on the leader and commandant in chief of Libyan military forces and those forces are causing a threat to civilians, then its perfectly justifiable under the UN convention.

By happy coincidence, the commander of Libyan Military forces, happens to be a certain Mr Gaddafi…

How very convenient…

RustySpanner

Very interesting Indy article recently regarding the lies spouted by the Blair administration and the oil industry regarding Iraq:
    Link Here.

Surprised this hasn’t been more widely discussed, the evidence is damning.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Rusty – of course – and its the same here. If libya did not have oil we would not be doing this.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

ernie, who believes they’ve removed the word “gullible” from the dictionary…

Let me get this right Woppit…..you are suggesting that 99% of Libyans are opposed to Gaddafi, but there could be an indefinite stalemate in Libya – despite the rebels having the might of NATO at their disposal ?

And you are suggesting that it’s me who’s “gullible” ? 😀

I’ve got to get ready for a bike ride soon Woppit, but thanks for putting a smile on my face this morning. And please don’t stop, carry on posting more delusionary bollox ….. I’ll check later for your amusing contributions 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Where are you going biking Ernie?

I bet your going for a road ride, aren’t you? 😐

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yep, road ride from Uckfield station 1.30pm. You can easily get there from London…..so see you there if you can make it.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I don’t have a road bike in proper working order at the moment. Closest I’ve got is a rigid mtb with a shopping basket on’t front, which you laughed at. 😥

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Let me get this right Woppit…..you are suggesting that 99% of Libyans are opposed to Gaddafi, but there could be an indefinite stalemate in Libya – despite the rebels having the might of NATO at their disposal ?

No.

The situation is complex. Your simplistic analysis is inadequate.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

OK, off-road ride from Nirvana Cycles, Westcott, tomorrow @ 10.30 then (it’s been chosen because it’s close to the train station) You can laugh at my lack of off-road skills 😐

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Twirly. I’d have to get up six hours before I went to bed to get there for 10.30. What is it with people and these ridiculously early starts on a bank holiday? See, 1.30 wooduv suited me fine.

There isn’t even a station at Westcott. You just want me to go on a wild goose chase so you can laugh at me. 😥

johnners
    Free Member

Yep, road ride from Uckfield station 1.30pm. You can easily get there from London…..so see you there if you can make it.

OK, off-road ride from Nirvana Cycles, Westcott, tomorrow @ 10.30 then

I really like it when a bit of biking sneaks past the opinionated bollocks which makes up the bulk of these threads.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Dorking is 5 mins away. Do you know where Nirvana Cycles is ? …. we’re going on a Leith Hill bike ride. It’s an hour by train from London Bridge, change at Redhill for Dorking. You’ll have to leave home at about 9am.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No, more like 8.30 to ensure no rushing about and enough time to buy tickets, find platform etc. Which means getting out of bed latest at 8 am. Which I don’t do for anyone, even the Queen.

No, I’m not a ‘morning’ person. I’d be quite happily pootling about at 2am though.

Ee, ow about a Midnight London Pootle? That could be great fun; no traffic, deserted streets, really quiet.

Whaddya reckon?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No, the North Downs in the sunshine appeals to me a little more than London at midnight.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Both have their equal appeal though surely Ernie?

Or are you a racist? 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Gaddafi's son killed by NATO strike’ is closed to new replies.