Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • G24 parking charge notice?
  • wolfenstein
    Free Member

Anyone had one?

Got stung £70 ..i guess reduced to £42 if paid within 14 days 👿

For 6 years visiting my local retail park I didn’t realized free parking is only 180minutes .. I allegedly parked for 256minutes 😯 , will drive their tomorrow to find any notice board 😡

TheFlyingOx

It’s an invitation to pay them some money. Nothing more, nothing less. I’ll admit they’re getting slighty smart. £42 is almost not worth doing the legwork required to end up paying nothing. That’s what they’re counting on, and the ones who decide to pay up are the ones who allow this industry to prosper.

Don’t enter into any correspondence other than to appeal their “charge”. When they refuse, take it to POPLA. It’s free for you, but costs them money.
    Take photos of signage in the car park. It’s especially useful if the signage is sufficiently vague in its terms but also has wording to the effect that the sign itself is the contract you have allegedly broken.
    Ask how they know you parked for so long. If it’s ANPR-style cameras at the entrance/exit, there is case history to show that this means nothing other than you entered/left the carpark. You could have driven round and round for 256 minutes then left, which would entail exactly zero parking.
    Ask for copies of their contract with the landowner. They have no legal right to claim damages from you (which is what this invoice is) unless there is a very specific contract between themselves and the landowner. Not a shop on the site, the landowner.
    Ask how they break down this apparent loss they’ve suffered and for which you are now being invited to mitigate. A lot of parking companies add in cost of parking attendant uniforms, cost of insurance, all that shite. That is an operating cost, an overhead, not a loss. Some PPC apologists might point you in the direction of the court’s musings in Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co Ltd v New Garage & Motor Co Ltd with regards to estimation of loss. Interesting as it may be, the specifics of that court case bear little resemblance to “overstaying” in a free carpark. The people who might point you in that direction will most definitely have quoted only the very specific part that seems vaguely relevant to a parking contract, and not the rest which most certainly doesn’t.

Basically, peppipoo.com is the place to go, even if just for template letters to get the swines off your back.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply flying ox, I just can’t believe I have missed the signage/notice boards for the last 6 years of me visiting the place. I will find the receipt of one of the shops which I last visited before I went straight to the carpark if it coincide with the cctv/anpr timestamp in the letter.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    takisawa2

Try the retailers, they can get it cancelled, but do as Ox said with regard to appealing.
    Don’t ignore it.
    I mistakingly did that & Parking Eye are dragging me in to court soon.
    I’m resigned to paying up if I don’t win, but my defence case rests on the points Ox makes, in that they have suffered no loss & despite my asking they haven’t provided me with evidence of any loss.
    It’s just another worry though. 😕

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

I received a ticket from Private Eye. I asked for an appeal through POPLA as described above. I’d rather hoped they would back off at that point but they didn’t so I put together my evidence and sent it off (all done on-line). I was given a time scale for when my case would be heard. A few days after the date I received a letter to say that my appeal had been successful and that, surprisingly, Private Eye had not put forward any evidence to support their case at all.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

…so i drove there earlier. There actually is a signage of max 3 hours or 180minutes . I think my last resort is go back there again in TX Maxx as it is the last shop i went before I went home and spent £200 in their shop that day and will speak to them politely if they can cancel it for me.

Lesson learned here, never to go back in that retail park and would prefer driving extra 2miles for another retail park that allow me to park and shop all day

agent007
    Free Member

Where on that sign does it say you agree to pay a charge if you overstay?

martinhutch

Exactly. I don’t see the basis of any agreement to pay a charge on that, it’s just asking you nicely to not stay longer than 180 minutes.

martinhutch

Private Eye had not put forward any evidence to support their case at all.

Typical bloody Hislop. All mouth and no trousers.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes that sign mentions no penalty whatsoever for overstaying so I think they are stuffed

I would like to see them defend that as you having entered a contract to pay a fee if you overstay when it is not mentioned anywhere in the contract you entered

Appeal using that photo- what does the other sign say we cannot read – does that mention charges?

gogg
    Free Member

It also looks like it’s been changed recently with the addition of the huge 3 that wasn’t there originally.

Explain that you don’t read their signs on every visit to see if they’ve been amended with an oversize sticker.

Amateurs!!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I get letters from parking in the local Aldi all the time. Never paid a penny and never will.

Weasel
    Free Member

My manager got stung at a retail car park like this, first she heard was when payroll said we are deducting the fine from next months pay 😆 (she has a company car).

She kicked up a fuss 🙄 and the response was the company will pay the fine regardless and you can challenge it with the parking people if you want – not our problem. When she went and had a look at the car park there were tiny signs and even the shops don’t agree with it, but it’s the landowners decision.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

..those lamp post there is a small signage you need to pay £70 if you overstay which is not in eyes view if you are in the car..you need to get out of the car and look-up a bit to see it.. I should have taken photo on that as well.. Will be going back to tk-maxx tomorrow if they can help me with this.. I still have half of what i bought that day in original packaging and tags.. Will return it if conversation goes south 🙂

I believe that “3” have been recently changed , but cant prove otherwise.

Cougar

I wouldn’t bother with the shops TBH, it’s probably nothing to do with them. Do what Ox said.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘G24 parking charge notice?’ is closed to new replies.