• This topic has 14 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • G mail help please
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

I will admit to being both a technonumpty and phobe so maybe someone can point me in the right direction.
    My Gmail account wouldn’t let me in today at work. Not the systems fault. I get home and go straight in to find a message telling me that someone tried to log in and its was blocked. Stupid machine, it was me. How do I stop this please?
    I work in dozens of schools and thus dozens of computers and want to check my emails at work. I cannot have this on a near daily basis.
    Cannot see any way of stopping this but there is so much on the Gmail page with no labels that I am bound to be missing something.

scaredypants

In what way did it stop you ?
    Did you get to type in a password and then were rejected ?
    Are you sure it wasn’t the school’s IT settings that kept you out ?

(you may already know this stuff but…)
    I’d involve your phone:
    go to security settings (top right corner of your email page, click on the cirle and then “my account”. Go to security settings and choose 2-step authentication and ask for a google authenticator passcode (you need to use your phone to read a QR code on your screen but it works easily enough and from then on you can just get a code from your phone

mattsccm
    Free Member

Not school tech problem.

As for part 2 I only recognise half the words there.
    I do own a mobile but wouldn’t have a clue where it is even and most certainly wouldn’t take it to work. That generation!
    I just want it to stop interfering.
    Many thanks anyway, I know that my answer will be frustrating.

Cougar

Does the email not contain a “yes, this was me” link?

I’m not sure what words you’re not recognising beyond “QR code” which is a fancy kind of barcode. Words like “circle” aren’t particularly technical I wouldn’t have thought.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Ta. Nope it was the barcode and 2 step bit I didn’t get. Didn’t get any mail was just blocked.
    To be honest I don’t want an email for enxt time. That would be several a day.
    Trying the various Google “help” forums but getting no where so far.

allthepies
    Free Member

Talk us through how you tried to login at school and what information gmail was giving you as you attempted to login.

nealglover
    Free Member

If you actually want help, you need to start answering the questions people are asking ….

In what way did it stop you ?

Did you get to type in a password and then were rejected ?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Told me it wouldn’t give me access. Password was accepted ( or at least it wasn’t rejected, that I am familiar with being a sloppy typer on a tablet) but no access allowed. Have since got email telling me that as the source of the login was not recognised the login was not accepted. Gmail thinks that some one else had my pass word. At least that’s what the email said. It just didn’t like another computer logging in.

xora

Enable 2FA and install the app on your phone!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep google 2 step authentication
    https://www.google.com.au/landing/2step/

When you log in from another location that is not on your list it will ask you to enter a code it’s just texted you.
    As usual with shared computers don’t save the password and log out properly after.
    Other option is mail on your phone or tablet if you are going to be around a lot of places.

nealglover
    Free Member

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve had this before – the info is here – https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/3067630?hl=en

I think you need to contact “Ashley” in support to ask for a way round the device check.

Or try this link, when logged into Gmail – https://myaccount.google.com/u/0/alerts

Doesn’t look like you can turn the alerts off, but there may be some configuration you can do in those settings.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep spotted the mobile thing, answer is take your phone to work with you, they are quite useful. It also keeps your email more secure. It might look like interfering but it’s stopping a very common method of having your account compromised. Without 2 Step authentication if your account password gets hacked then it’s very very hard to recover – more than just a thread in here.
    Turning off the protection is not the best move.

Greybeard
    Free Member

See “I want to turn off alerts” at the bottom of this link:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/45938

With alerts off, and without using a phone as additional authentication, your account is more vulnerable to hackers, so be careful what you use it for, eg, don’t ask for a new password for somewhere else to be emailed to you. The consequences of being hacked are lower for a technophone then for people whose Google account is the gateway to cloud storage and other accounts, etc.

DezB
    Free Member

Weird that they put the “change alert preferences” bit on the front page like that instead of in the “my account settings”!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘G mail help please’ is closed to new replies.