Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fuzzy Chrome in Win8
  • seadog101

Just got a new computer and it has Win8, of course. All is fine, still getting to grips with it, but…… When I use Chrome it looks all fuzzy. Irritating, and nothing else is this way.

Anyone else have this? Know of a fix?

Cougar

I can tell you why it does it in Firefox.

https://blog.mozilla.org/joe/2011/04/26/introducing-the-azure-project/

The Azure API sends the text in my Firefox wonky, like badly configured ClearType. I’d to disable it in about:config (gfx.content.azure.enabled).

That said, since upgrading to FF28, it’s started doing it again. Grr, aargh.

For Chrome I’m not sure, I don’t really use it. I should probably change that really. Check for updated graphics drivers maybe?

Cougar

I found this on the Internets:

Unfortunately, they made the decision in Windows 8.1 to try to ‘improve’ the scaling of fonts, but this doesn’t really work, so you need to turn that feature off.

To do this, right click on your desktop and choose Screen Resolution, then click ‘Make text and other items larger or smaller’, then check the box alongside ‘Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays’ and boom, problem solved. You’ll notice all of your apps will return to their former glory, before the Windows 8.1 update.

May or may not be relevant, I don’t know, but worth a try perhaps.

scaredypants

Cougar, not sure if you saw my final comment on a thread where you talked about fire3fox being weird

created a new boolean doodah in config and set to true:
    layout.paint_rects_separately

Seems to have worked for me

Cougar

Ah, no. I’ll give that a punt, ta.

Cougar

Seems like you might be on to something there. It’s apparently most prominent with Radeon 4xxx chipsets, which is what’s in this lapdog.

http://www.ghacks.net/2013/12/25/mozilla-fixes-text-rendering-issues-windows-users-amd-cards/

Cougar

Just to follow up on this,

Since adding that setting, I’ve not had the font corruption problem. So it looks to have worked, thank you.

I’ve just re-enabled the Azure engine, see if that’s working now.

seadog101

Ahaa! All updated to Win8.1, and the problem has gone away.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fuzzy Chrome in Win8’ is closed to new replies.