Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Future Publishing has sold all its cycling mags to another publisher
  • project
    Free Member
    wwaswas

Given their financial position and the way they’ve started talking about their plans for their ‘content’ I can’t see this as being anything other than a good thing.

Speshpaul

That’s why bike magic is off the air then.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

That’s why bike magic is off the air then.

Although CyclingNews isn’t.

Mark

Bikemagic isn’t a Future website. It’s a Factory Media website.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Future calling the top of the “cycling is the new golf” bubble?

Rorschach
    Free Member

“I can’t see this as being anything other than a good thing.”

“The disposal of the portfolio of Sport and Craft titles to Immediate Media for up to £24m is a key step in the new strategy to transform Future into a more simplified business, focussing on core verticals with an emphasis on the consumer technology market”

the Board has determined that the Group’s strategy is to focus on core verticals, with an emphasis on consumer technology and the on-going transformation of the Group will be best served through the disposal of the Portfolio

I can.

wwaswas

that’s why I thought it was a good thing.

Future are changing direction and the cycling magazines didn’t fit their new strategy.

Selling them to someone who they represent a growth and target area for is a good thing isn’t it?

Trimix
    Free Member

Companys in trouble can only raise cash by selling their best assets.

Magazines are vehicle for advertising revenue.

poah
    Free Member

its a good way of getting rid of staff as well as a loss making magazine.

Speeder

focussing on core verticals

WTF is a “core vertical”?

Sandwich

A long dark lift shaft.

bigtimebones
    Free Member

A vertical is a sector of industry, Banking or Retail for example

swavis

Could they nae just say core sectors then? 😆

paulosoxo
    Free Member

It’s where you ring-fence a Unicorn.

brooess
    Free Member

I used to buy MBR and WMTB regularly as a source of info about new products, ride ideas and new bikes.
    These days I just come on here. I stopped buying any mags about 4/5 years ago (except Singletrack of course)

I trust the advice on here as being more honest/unbiased

I suspect they’re selling because like a lot of print media, their advertising-led business model is bust and readership is going to the web for info instead

simon_g

All seems very desperate. The sports & crafts magazines would seem to have much better prospects (hence the sale price) than consumer tech, which is better served by hundreds of websites. Who really buys mags like T3?

epicyclo

brooess – Member
    …I stopped buying any mags about 4/5 years ago (except Singletrack of course)…

That’s probably pretty general now.

I got fed up of the level of Doddy style advertorial in those mags (yeah, I know he’s not in all of them, but he’s iconic 🙂 )

I stopped buying MBR when it became obvious they were antagonistic to singlespeeds. “Eff you, too” thought I, and stopped buying.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Its like a core horizontal except it goes up/down rather than left right? You’re not going to tell me you don’t know what a core horizontal is are you?

I suspect they’re selling because like a lot of print media, their advertising-led business model is bust and readership is going to the web for info instead

Do you think the business that bought this doesn’t know that, they just thought ‘yeh everyone still buys mags and I’ll snap this core vertical up for £24m’.

Maybe the crafts bit was the sweetener for them to buy the not so profitable sports bit. No one’s going to be reading Needlecraft Weekly or iStitch on an iPad.

project
    Free Member

Mark – Resident Grumpy

Bikemagic isn’t a Future website. It’s a Factory Media website.

Posted 3 hours ago #Report-Post

The ones who own factory media have bought the future publications and web site bike radar.

gwaelod
    Free Member

. WTF is a “core vertical”

Its the new 29er from Genisis.

Obviously.

epicyclo

Am I the only one who won’t buy a sealed magazine? Got caught out by content-lite once too often.

Crell
    Free Member

Am I the only one who won’t buy a sealed magazine? Got caught out by content-lite once too often.

I just can’t reach all the way up there.

Mark

The ones who own factory media have bought the future publications and web site bike radar.

Nope. Different companies.
    Immediate media bought Magicalia who created Bikemagic. However, Magicalia sold Bikemagic to Factory media before they were bought themselves.

Immediate Media currently own Golfmagic and outdoorsmagic but not bikemagic.

brooess
    Free Member

Me and my brother loved going to France on holiday when we were teenagers and all that stuff was on the bottom shelf 🙂

epicyclo

Crell – Member
    “Am I the only one who won’t buy a sealed magazine? Got caught out by content-lite once too often.”

Why would they put the cycling mags out of reach?

(OK, you got me there 🙂 )

matther01
    Free Member

Does this mean specialized bikes won’t get rave reviews any more…

Rorschach
    Free Member

Depends on whether they are ‘core’ and/or ‘vertical’.

nick1962
    Free Member

mmediate media bought Magicalia who created Bikemagic. However, Magicalia sold Bikemagic to Factory media before they were bought themselves.

Immediate Media currently own Golfmagic and outdoorsmagic but not bikemagic.

But who owns Magicmagic the magazine for magicians?

Northwind

I like how Mark just passes through this thread every so often and corrects things, like a rightness comet.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Real question is whether the new owners will tolerate the BikeRadar forums 😆

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Just reading that article, I’m curious to know what happened to what mountain bike magazine. I thought that was part of the same stable? Or doesn’t it exist anymore?

Jamie
    Free Member

Hmm. I guess this is as good as any time to announce I plan on buying SingleTrackWorld for a pack of crisps* and a reach-around.

*Something classy like Seabrooks.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ll see your offer and raise you, a family size packet of Nik Naks* and some heavy petting in the shallow end.
    *real cheese flavour

shermer75
    Free Member

I thought the same about What Mountian Bike too..

Speeder

bigtimebones – Member
    A vertical is a sector of industry, Banking or Retail for example

Was that supposed to be enlightening?

I don’t know whether to be embarrassed or not at my lack of understanding of how this applies to a magazine portfolio. Surely cycling would be a “core vertical” if that’s a huge part of what you did?

I’m just amused by the made up name of the CEO.

Good luck to all the employees facing the chop.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ll see your offer and raise you, a family size packet of Nik Naks* and some heavy petting in the shallow end.

I’ll raise you heavy petty in the deep end.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Jamie
    Free Member

Haha! Business!

MisterCrud
    Free Member

Future share price is currently 8p. In the late 90’s it was about £7.00.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Future Publishing has sold all its cycling mags to another publisher’ is closed to new replies.