Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Further to Brant's f.i.l's. model aircraft collection, what do you collect?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

That’s no earthly use?

Me, National Hockey League pucks.
    The rule is they have to have been brought back from the USA/Canada by someone who’s been & who I know. (otherwise I’d have them all off Fleabay)
    I need another 8. 9 if you include Las Vegas, who aren’t playing yet.

andyl
    Free Member

a big collection of bike parts according to the OH 😀

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Looking in my shed, 9 speed gearing kit.

senorj

The missus collects cushions & shoes…& belts…& scarves..& coats…. 😐

qwerty
    Free Member

Bicycle related stickers on the old fridge in the back kitchen, a good 15 years worth, not allowed to buy them.

Pierre

Unread copies of Cyclist magazine and Rouleur, at the moment… 🙁

And, like Jef, a surprising amount of 9-speed kit. Right! To eBay!

Jamie
    Free Member

I collect names.

*adds esselgruntfuttock to the list*

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Souls 😈

kiwijohn

Canon camera’s.

Northwind

Old magazines, I’m one step away from being a proper hoarder (actually making a huge effort to cut this down now but it’s hard!)

CDs even though everything is digital now

Toy nerf guns! I have a side “business” selling and refurbing them and sometimes doing wee sneaky upgrades but I also like them myself and I’ve got millions now. They’re just great toys! Most of what I like has no real value, just a few quid, you can easily spend hundreds of quid on a boxed collectable but I’ve managed to avoid that…

But I find myself pretending to strangers that I have children, that’s not healthy. Still, it’s the first daft hobby I’ve ever had that actually makes money.

Lester
    Free Member

I save shot glasses preferably unusu ones, I have quite a few, sad I know.
    I’m also collecting minox sub miniature cameras to leave to my son,

andytherocketeer

Collect? or Hoard?
    Bikes, every component that’s ever been on them, broken or otherwise. I have never sold a single bike that I have bought with my own money.
    Bike magazines.
    Computers, ditto. I did offload my 386dx40, but think I still have everything else since, including the AtariST. And all the old ISA coaxial ethernet cards. And US Robotics modem.

Haven’t collected anything in the “having a collection” sense for a long time though. Not enough space.

richmars

Bits of F1 cars.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Old frames….

colournoise

Pens and pencils. They do obviously have a use, but I have WAY more than I can sensibly make use of…

zilog6128

Computers, ditto. I did offload my 386dx40, but think I still have everything else since, including the AtariST

I have a massive collection of old computers/consoles, mostly boxed. I’ve stopped now, as I haven’t got any more space, plus a lot of them I’ve never even booted up (and probably never will!) Although someone did recently give me half an ST (don’t ask), and as it’s always been one of my favourite looking retro computers I’m gonna clean it up & put it on the wall!

DezB
    Free Member

I said on the model kits thread – Sad hoarder weirdo collecting boxing on dvd and some rugby.
    I’m better than I was – used to keep everything on VHS, but I’m gradually purging and transferring the decent stuff to DVD.
    I did have a loft full of every single NME from 1978 until we moved house about 15 years ago and I purged them. Dropping them into the recycling skips was a very emotional time!

uponthedowns
    Free Member

After clearing my parents house I came to the conclusion that I will never collect or hoard anything as it just ends up being more stuff that your loved ones will have to dispose of when you’re dead. Having said that if I had more money then I’d collect watches as they don’t take up much space and if bought wisely my heirs could make a few bob from them.

zilog6128

I’d collect watches as they don’t take up much space and if bought wisely my heirs could make a few bob from them.

exactly the same reasons I’m now collecting Lego minifigs 🙂 More fun than watches though!

Peyote
    Free Member

Unicorn ivory, mermaids tears and minotaur blood.

icicleboy
    Free Member

Toy nerf guns! I have a side “business” selling and refurbing them and sometimes doing wee sneaky upgrades

What can you do to upgrade them?

freeagent
    Free Member

collected a few different things over the years.

20+ years ago I collected comics.. had a few hundred, decided to have a purge and took a decent sample to the local ‘comics bought and sold’ shop, who wouldn’t even take them off me for nothing.
    Ended up literally giving them away via ebay.

I Used to collect vinyl records, in particular rock/metal from the late 80’s/early 90’s.
    Had a purge 4 years ago and made just over £3k from ebay, which paid for my man-shed.
    I still have a box of really good stuff, which I can’t/wont part with.

I don’t really ‘collect’ anything now, I’ve got a keen eye for tools, kitchen knives and a few other odds and ends, but as others have said, a vast collection of something weird/pointless is just more stuff for my heirs to dispose of.

My Dad is/was a proper hoarder, who moved from a rambling 4 bed farm house with outbuildings into a 1 bed flat 2 years ago.. the clear-out operation was horrific, and I don’t want to put that on my kids.

Northwind

icicleboy – Member

What can you do to upgrade them?

Ooh, loads… Springs, internal upgrades, electronics changes… I just put a set of motors from an RC helicopter and a big lipo battery in one, 3d printed a wee extension for the casing to make room for the bigger motors… (also stuck googly eyes on it, for added googlyness) That one’s for personal use though 😆 Not child safe)

milky1980
    Free Member

Managed to keep my collecting/hoarding under control the last few years so nothing currently. Helps being in rented accommodation as you pay more for bigger space and I fill my current flat with my bikes!!

richmars – Bits of F1 cars.

Used to, but it got rather out of hand 😳

Had enough bits to nearly build a rolling chassis at one point 😯 (bar the actual chassis..) Loads of suspension wishbones, aero appendages, mechanical gubbins etc. Even had a gearbox from a Jordan! Stuff from the early 60’s onwards, helped having a dad who used to race in the VSCC and knew people who either own or run old F1 machinery so had easy access to parts that were surplus or damaged. Even got access to the Minardi auction, had to hire a van to come back from that 😆

Sold it all a while back for a large chunk of money, bar one Goodyear Eagle F1 tyre that’s my coffee table and an engine cover off a Benetton B193. It’s on loan to a contact who looks after a B193 that he’s loaned out to a museum somewhere that has a strict no Tobacco advertising rule, his bodywork says Camel on it where mine doesn’t.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Further to Brant's f.i.l's. model aircraft collection, what do you collect?’ is closed to new replies.