Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Further camera advice sought
  • Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Some of you were good enough to reply to an earlier post about “complex” compacts. Having investigated, I’m going to have to take a bit more time going round and looking at/comparing these so, in order to get something to tide me over for an imminent trip, I’m reducing the requirement.

If anybody has experience of using a small ” carry in the bag/pocket and not worry too much about damage as it was not expensive” camera I would be interested in recommendations. Basically a point and shoot but two preferences are a L-ion battery (AAs are not up to it in my experience) and the ability to set shutter speed for the action shots.

Thanks

footflaps

I carry a £90 Canon Ixus as a ‘disposable’ camera. I’m on my 3rd having broken two in one year MTBing, one got grit in the tele-photo lens mechanism, which is a write off and the other got dropped on an MTB ride in Sardinia. Fits your needs bar you can’t set shutter speeds, or at least you can’t on the models I’ve had. Takes excellent photos mind (if the light is good).

stumpy01

I’ve got a Nikon P300, which is pretty good. It will occasionally miss focus on occasion. Every now and again, it will refuse to focus at all; I suspect it’s something to do with particular lighting conditions.

Aside from that, I’m pretty pleased with it.
    It’s been replaced by the P310, which can be had for around £230 from the looks of it.

There’s tons of choice around though; Sony have some nifty looking ones, but they only had Auto or Manual, not Shutter or Aperture priority as far as I could see.
    The Panasonic ones are always popular and generally have longer zooms.
    The Canon S100 also looks like a good bet, as does the Olympus XZ-1.

Have you played with any cameras yet? Get yourself along to a large Jessops if not, and have a play with some. You can normally whittle it down to a couple quite quickly once you’ve actually had a play with them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cougar

I was going to say IXUS too, fantastic little workhorse, back when I bought my IXUS40 it was class-leading.

Some models of IXUS can be hacked with custom firmware to add dSLR-style functionality (manual controls, RAW shooting) – see CHDK. It’s a piece of cake to set up and non-permanent (it custom boots off the SD on power-on, nothing is changed on the camera itself). Dunno if the current range are supported or not though. There’s a list on the website but I don’t care sufficiently to check myself.

CountZero

Look around the camera shops, and you could probably pick up an older model reduced down to £50-75, from someone like Fuji, or possibly even a Nikon or Panasonic. You might only get a shorter zoom, but you’ll probably get 10-12Mp?
    Here you go, a Fuji for £85;
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00342UTOI/ref=s9_hps_bw_g23_ir05?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=0ZWBNB0654H0RS3VEG2P&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=317869647&pf_rd_i=560834
    12Mp, 10x optical zoom

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Further camera advice sought’ is closed to new replies.