Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Furniture Fans – Eames Lounge Chair…
  • mcboo
    Free Member

I like them, they are comfortable as well as looking great (Barcelona chairs are NOT comfortable) but I wouldnt shell out 4k thinking I’m getting an original….need to do your homework on the quality. There must be websites where design geeks hang out who will know. Otherwise I smell a rip-off

tall_martin

Barker and stone houseI loved the look of these and tried one in barker and stonehouse.

I’m 6″4 and it was hugely uncomfortable. If you are tall it’s worth trying for size.

globalti
    Free Member

Who makes the original chair? Hasn’t it just become a generic name for a certain design?

We bought a Le Corbusier recliner for £450 second hand, I don’t know who it’s made by but the quality is superb and it looks fantastic, so what’s to worry about? We also have Bauhaus dining chairs from Habitat and they look super too.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

globalti – Member
    Hasn’t it just become a generic name for a certain design?

It has to a certain extent. A lot of Eames designs have been copied, and there’s a wide selection of “Eames Inspired” and “Eames Era” pieces available. The quality and accuracy varies widely though.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Well, I bit the bullet and a big pallet arrived yesterday. First impressions are that it is indistinguishable from a Vitra/Herman Miller version. Quality and finish is spot on and the proportions are exact.

Only one problem: I don’t know whether to sit in it, or sit somewhere else so I can look at it! Beautiful…

hunterst
    Free Member

Oooh nice

So is this the iconic interiors hull – black/rosewood

Did you go to have a look before you ordered it?

Dangerboy
    Free Member

Very nice.
    Bluesuntree do a dangerously tempting array of interesting designer reprotuction furniture and they’ve got a showroom in Leicester (near B&Q, if that helps?)…

http://www.bluesuntree.co.uk/

oddjob
    Free Member

Nice

I know that Eames do a tall version, if someone did a good repro of that I think I’d be after one.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

hunterst – Member

Oooh nice

So is this the iconic interiors hull – black/rosewood

Yep, that’s the one. I didn’t go and view it, but got him to send me a load of pics. To be honest, the guy is a bit of an a-hole – the first pics showed damage to the veneer on the lower seat shell and he tried to fob me off saying it was “a natural product”.

I asked him to photograph a different one and he got a bit arsey saying it was a lot of hassle to unpack them. I politely pointed out that if he’d sent me a chair in that condition, he’d be coming to collect it which would have been a lot more hassle!

I looked at the Bluesuntree one, and they sent me photos, but I wasn’t as impressed. The leather looked very stiff and tightly buttoned, and the edges of the ply were very pale and didn’t look “right”.

This one is far and away the best repro I’ve seen, I can’t find any significant differences between it and the Vitra/HM version apart from the signature badge. It’s equally solid with just the right amount of flex in the back and no slop in the base mechanism.

Shame the seller was a bit of a tit, but worth putting up with for the quality of the piece.

hunterst
    Free Member

I’ve asked them to send me some leather samples.

I know black is really the one to get – but the aged brown leather model does look very nice

Shibboleth
    Free Member

It does look nice, it just had to be rosewood and black for me, just how they designed it… Where abouts are you Hunterst?

hunterst
    Free Member

Sorry Shib didn’t see your reply there.

I’m in wakefield –

We are planning a trip over to The Deep (in Hull) over the next couple of weeks, so we are going to arrange to drop in and see one in the flesh.

ourmaninthenorth

Very nice.

Whole room looks nice. I reckon my recently-started-walking daughter would wreck it in about 5 minutes *resigns himself to a life without design for a decade*

Enjoy!

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Thanks OMITN, you’re right, it’s not very child friendly! Let me know how you get on Hunterst…

AlexSimon

I can’t believe you’ve put a ‘speaker in the corner like that!

Nice chair though!

Shibboleth
    Free Member

It seems to work Alex, there’s one at the other side and the shape of the sloping ceiling seems to project the sound out really well. Not a hi-fi geek though, so I don’t have a particularly well-trained ear, but it sounds pretty much perfect to me…

julioflo
    Free Member

hmm, not down with reproductions….
    Wasn’t one point of these furniture designs, to make them locally?
    This is one of the examples of consumerism and greed/want?
    I’d suggest finding some young and ambitious UK based designer maker and buy a lovely original design from them.

Ok I know hard to take this sort of standpoint when we buy bikes etc etc made in the far east. But if you are considering spending large amounts of money on furniture, it is possible to spend it at home.

mellowmiles
    Free Member

Hi there,
    slightly odd way to come about this but have been looking to buy and eames lounge chair. I definitely can’t justify an original to the mrs and still have trouble coming to terms with a reproduction. seen this thread and have looked up iconic interiors and he seems to know what he’s on about.

I had almost bitten the bullet for a second hand vitra then having done some more reading learned that Vitra are an authorised manufacturer and thinking about it this reasoned if i don’t get a HM version probably no real difference getting any other version as long at it is quality…. but undecided.

so In the spirit of getting an objective view was wondering having owned the lounge chair from this chap for a year what do you make of it? any regrets?

thanks

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP are your speakers set up like that?

fenboy

nice chairs from scotland

well china same as all the other repro ones
    I’d try these, these are among the best repro ones i’ve seen. i had a tour of the company last week very nice stuff.

tails
    Free Member

Nice link fenboy, part of me likes it the other part hates it!

mellowmiles, I believe HM have the US license to reproduce it and vitra the european.

mellowmiles
    Free Member

thanks for link Fenboy. Is the furniture actually made in Scotland? if the quality were the same would be more willing to fund scottish business. I do wonder how come it’s cheaper than the ‘high end chinese’ version?! Could i also check do you know the quality of leather + wood they use? are you a retailer yourself ?

I was wondering what you guys know about leather?! i ask cos some people say analine is the best whilst some others think otherwise. I personally would rather something i didn’t have to maintain! but good quality obviously.

Talls, yes i see what you’re saying though it looks like HM made the first ones for the Eameses and since the designs are different in my head it almost seems to be a different product! and vitra are making licensed copies (too anal? ironically it’s probably in a ploy to justify getting a repro). like you too part of me hates it and part of me loves it…

thanks

Jerome
    Free Member

I paid £300 for a repro from cool furniture, that looks exactly like the milan direct one. Came on a groupon deal I think. Was impressed with quality, excepting cushions as a few buttons fell off. I tried to get it fixed/ replaced but in the end I was given a total refund and told to keep the chair. Local cushion chap fixed it for me.
    Chair sitting unloved in our store room, until I get my office.
    At £300 I think they are a bargain, just factor in a button fix..
    Oh and buying the real thing – I think these are already overprices as vintage piece. I have just bought a cracking heals original sofa for not much money..

nickmsm
    Free Member

I’ve got loads of Eames furniture, my favourite designer is Poul Kjaerholm though where my collection is more focused. Not getting into the real v’s fake argument, suffice to say I wouldn’t entertain anything knock off full stop.

mattjevans
    Free Member

We’ve had one of these for 5 years or so and I have 2 kids now ages 7 and 3, it’s survived fine

Cougar

Guys, this is an 11 month old thread, spam-resurrected.

nickmsm
    Free Member

Good topic though 😉

Cougar

Is it? You’ve had nearly a year to reply, can’t be that good. (-:

mattjevans
    Free Member

I blame Jerome then

aP
    Free Member

Personally I’m more of a Robin Day fan.
    Oh, and made in the UK.

nickmsm
    Free Member

Only been a member for a few days….

Like Robin Day too, only got one piece of his in my collection. A festival hall arm chair.

Jerome
    Free Member

My fault. Think i was looking at all my posts or something, and commented on an issue i had alrady replied to..

Cougar

Sorry for any inconvenience, but I’m closing this thread as it’s a bloody spam magnet. Feel free to create a new thread for all your chez longwee needs.

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Furniture Fans – Eames Lounge Chair…’ is closed to new replies.