Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Funny frontends the answer? Discuss
  • LoCo
    Free Member
    wwaswas

they’ll all start doing this 😉

LoCo
    Free Member

Rossi to Vincent for 2014? 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

It makes total sense to be designing bespoke front ends in motor sport where you have almost totally control of the whole product

I suspect however, as in mtb, it’s just too easy to buy off the shelf existing units & design around them

BMW seemed to be pushing a complete front & rear package but it’s not really taken off.

I have ideas & sketches of a single sided, anti-dive, rear shock based front end but lack the ability to manufacture one

stevehine

It goes offroad too 🙂

I’d love someone to develop a more up to date version with a bit more travel and/or a slacker head angle … so thepodge; I’d be happy to be a product tester 😉

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

plenty of funky fork designs abound that dont need total frame design, but
    consumers are more conservative than they like to think. Ironically BMW invented the telescopic fork.

andrewh
    Free Member

Looks conventional but isn’t.
    Had a brief go on one and first impressions were very good.

Northwind

Just stick pedals on the side

wwaswas

I wonder how many people manage to get on that last one facing the wrong way 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

Steve, there is a 1000 pound product tester fee, none refundable

CTM, that alke fork is I think the same as the one I saw in Bristol, I want it so much it hurts

takisawa2

Hmmm…
    Boke is nice though.

My F29RL’s should be with you tomorrow Snr’ LoCo… 🙂

juan
    Free Member

Seems to me that the pilot is the most important factor in the steering and front wheel problem. I don’t remember Agostini complaining about all that crap.

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes, but the bikes were a fair bit slower along with the tyres having nowhere near as much grip which is a contributory factor in chatter.

takisawa2, great will get on them first thing next week. 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

What’s with that Bionicon? Only thing I can see is an extra cable/hose near the bars.. some sort of balanced fork/shock combo? Didn’t Muddy Fox do this?

jameso

Interesting link, thanks.

Ok it’s rigid and that comes with different issues, but riding a Jones F+F makes me realise how flexy even a good / stiff MTB telescopic fork with 100mm hub wheel actually is, mainly under braking, also on off-cambers or those wonky landings. Whether sus forks need to be any stiffer on an MTB is debatable though. Under braking, yes, it’d be good (anti-dive would be more interesting) but at the speeds where it would count I expect you’d be on stiffer, longer dual-crown forks and brake dive / weight shift is more of an issue than fork flex.

Dunno about heavier motorbikes, but for MTBs the telescopic seems to be the best compromise. But I’d like to see a few more rake options, as we have on 29er forks now – to balance weight distribution and trail better. Would be interesting to ride a slack 150mm forked FS bike with nearer 50mm rake.

DrP

The bionicon has “fixed” travel front and rear, but you can “tilt” the bike fore/aft by 30mm (I.e extend the a-c length, and lower the bottom bracket, and vice versa).

DrP

nicko74

have ideas & sketches of a single sided, anti-dive, rear shock based front end but lack the ability to manufacture one

You mean you drew a USE Sub? 😉

andyl
    Free Member

The Alike one is like this one from Bespoked: http://www.bespokedbristol.co.uk/Bespoked_2012_Photos.html#55

It was on a Crisp titanium frame. The whole bike was lovely but I really liked the fork. If I ever make a bike I will make something similar but out of carbon fibre.

I like the lefty style one above – the link with strut is used on aircraft undercarriages and is plenty tough enough:

andyl
    Free Member

better image:

CRISP TITANUIM-003

thepodge
    Free Member

nicko74 – You mean you drew a USE Sub?

Different shock placement

Macavity
    Free Member

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Funny frontends the answer? Discuss’ is closed to new replies.